Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race OOC  (Read 13442 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race OOC
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2015, 03:46:31 am »

So what's left for us to do before it's time to run the turn?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2015, 04:08:19 am »

Bicker lots.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2015, 09:32:28 am »

Those Oceanian capitalist pig dogs are taking their sweet time about it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2015, 10:24:00 am »

Hey, our beautiful Confederation has made its design proposals with appropriate haste. Don't you soulless commies try to pin even the passage of time on us.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

We've been ready for what, days?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2015, 12:11:15 pm »

Yep.

I thought we where all communists here, jsut different styles of them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »

Yep.

I thought we where all communists here, jsut different styles of them.

We are apparently "Dengist Democratic Dictatorship"

Two of those things mean "Commie" (Joking  :P). So the USSA is more USSR communism, Confederation is more modern China communism.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2015, 04:47:38 pm »

But our communism has soul. Therefore is better.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »

The only good government system is a psudocommunistic Technocracy with a psudohivemind.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »

I don't think you can call "turn everyone into one person" a system of government. It's true in the same way as wiping the Earth clean with gamma radiation brings world peace.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:19 pm »

Psh, everyone knows the best Government is the Gunverment.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:32 pm »

I don't think you can call "turn everyone into one person" a system of government. It's true in the same way as wiping the Earth clean with gamma radiation brings world peace.
There is a difference between a psudohivemind and an actual hivemind. With a psudohivemind, everyone is still functionally individuals. With an actual hivemind, everyone is the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2015, 11:45:12 pm »

1971 Situation Report

This is WNN, coming live to our audiences around the globe. Breaking news coming from our branch in France: this morning the French government has disclosed to us reports by their military intelligence who, in coordination with civilian stargazing organizations, have confirmed the rumors aired several months ago that the USAA have allegedly, now certainly, developed a new anti-satellite weapon deployed by high-flying jets, and are putting it to use. Now to our reporters in the field with more information regarding this startling development. This has been Wilford Pashen, World News.

This is World News Network, coming live to our audiences around the globe. Breaking news. Following an unfavorable development, the Confederacy threatened at the United Nations meeting held today that they "-have a weapon that will rule the heavens." This cryptic message was given by their floor representative, mister Jin Sun, a former general in the Confederate army. According to a source, this weapon is in the form of a satellite platform, armed with missiles. Its unclear just what their targets might be. German Chancellor Wulf Adenaur commented after the meeting at the UN: "The growing enthusiasm with which the communists are killing one another is distressing." More on this later as the story continues to break. I'm Tamal Lall, World News.

The USAA revises the Type 600 ARM, increasing its range. They also use the upgraded IR technology developed for their ASAT missile to increase the versatility of their MRAAMs.
The Confederacy uses their revision to create a special variant of the Belle handgun, the Belle Mk.ii.

Spoiler: USAA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Confederacy (click to show/hide)

In the East Upper Atmosphere, the USAA put their new T-600 ARM to use knocking out enemy ground radars. Due to the increased range, T-20 fighters actually have time to launch their missiles before being shot down. T-20 fighters employing the missiles still have a high casualty rate because of the effectiveness of Crowmurder SAMs, but now that the missions have survivors, pilots are beginning to formulate special evasive measures that cater to the Crowmurder SAM's characteristics. As yet there hasn't been any kind of measurable development in this area but USAA pilots are, as always, optimistic. Confed SAM operators learn to turn off their radar when T-20s with ARMs are reported in the area, which achieves the same effect as their destruction by throwing down enemy air defense. Dogfights become more frequent as Confed air defense begins to earn some blind spots. Z-1s continue to ambush T-20s from above, causing many casualties with their SRAAMs, but during early head-to-head engagements, the USAA reaps a slaughter with their MRAAMs, which can be fired from much further away than the enemy's SRAAMs. Confed pilots are baffled to report that the USAA's missiles can now somehow be fired at target aircraft from any direction, and experts are even more surprised to find that the T-20s can seemingly "fire and forget" their missiles, not being required to paint the target by aiming the nose of the plane at the hostile plane until the missile connects. This gives T-20s an extra edge, and Z-1 pilots have a hard time keeping their wingmen covered against T-20s, who obtain a vicious reputation for appearing behind one immediately after one's wingman had been shot down. The USAA managed to keep the new MRAAM development a secret and early head-to-head battles employing them result in losses of entire Z-1 flights. Later on, Z-1 pilots often flee from confrontations with T-20s unless they have the element of surprise. T-20s occasionally get the chance to conduct flyovers, but surveying while consciously evading ground fire, or flying at high altitude to avoid it entirely with only plain eyes to see the terrain with, pilots can't do much other than locate large facilities. T-20s time their attacks on rockets carefully, but MRAAMs don't have the maneuverability to track rockets moving rapidly upward. USAA gains a little ground; Confed will have a hard time defending if their early warning radars continue to be destroyed. (USAA is gaining ground steadily 1/5; Confederacy has control over most of the area 4/5)

In the West Upper Atmosphere, the changes to the MRAAM brought about this year mean the Z-1s have lost their edge. There are casualties on both sides, but no longer is the advantage severe. USAA regains control of their airspace using pure air power. (USAA controls the entire area 5/5; Confederacy is being shut out 0/5)

In the East LEO, the USAA's ASAT weaponry sees great use. The staged missiles are launched from T-20s flying at a steady rate, and they use IR sensors to lock onto contrast (i.e. the relatively hot skin of a space vessel against the "cold" background of space); the warhead is solid metal, killing the target with kinetic force. Despite it being the most nimble missile in the USAA's arsenal, limitations in maneuverability and the nature of the weapon's warhead mean that the missiles are ineffective against capsules that have advance warning of a launch—they can perform multiple evasive maneuvers in the time it takes a remote satellite to respond to a single command—which is somewhat common as radars built for detecting ICBMs relay bogeys on their scopes to orbital control teams. Skilled Confed astronauts often manage to get out of the way in time. In one case, a team of astronauts (Colonels Ichigo and Po) unable to move the capsule itself and manage to defeat a missile's guidance by overheating one of their craft's batteries and throwing it out the airlock. Without enough propellant or power to return home they subsequently froze to death and, having been in constant communication with ground control up to their very last moments, were each posthumously awarded the Affirmation of Highest Valor by the President. The missiles have better luck against remote satellites, which have predictable flight paths, and often only enough propellant for a single, very slow burn. Sats are now being destroyed whether astronauts are watching over them or not. Confed rarely lose capsules to ASAT missiles, but they're no longer useful in keeping satellites safe. The Confed's Sunrise missile satellites don't help keep other satellites safe, and they're vulnerable to ASAT strikes, but where they survive, their frag warheads are deadly against USAA capsules. Ultimately, the USAA's advantage is telling, and they take complete control of the area. (USAA has full control 3/3; Confederacy are being shut out 0/3)

In the West LEO, missiles fired from Sunrise sats (which are not in prodigious numbers due to their being harassed by ASAT fire) are extremely effective at destroying USAA sats. TV coverage is spotty across the nation, resulting in grumpy citizenry who are angry that they're unable to practice their favorite pastime. Cosmonauts have a special kind of fear struck into them by the Sunrise missile, who—though its launch and travel can be detected; the warning time is less than if the missile were coming from Earth—have no hope of evading the clouds of shrapnel they release. Sunrise missiles guarantee kills on satellites and capsules alike. The Confederacy gains a little ground using this new weapon. If Sunrise sats were in greater number, the Confederacy would have had a more decisive advantage. (USAA controls some of the area 1/3; Confederacy controls most of the area 2/3)

No rockets stronk enough to get to da Moon. *tumbleweed* (USAA has no presence here 0/4; Confederacy has no presence here 0/4)

The popular 1 Hour international TV show wants to get an insider look at the famed international design bureaus. No filming allowed, so instead describe a day in the life of a member of a design team. The side with the most entertaining account wins a UN Credit, which can be used to limit your enemy's designs for a year.

CONTROL OVERVIEW ([USAA CP]-[Confed CP])
East Upper Atmosphere (1-4): 1 Chemical, 1 Ore
West Upper Atmosphere (5-0): 1 Chemical, 1 Ore
East LEO (3-0): 3 Chemicals (1 resource/CP)
West LEO (1-2): 3 Ore (1 resource/CP)
Moon (0-0): 2 Ore (1 resource/2 CPs)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:47:37 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2015, 11:54:59 pm »

DP: Had to go in and fix resource counts and expense levels. Let me know if I screwed up anywhere.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2015, 03:38:07 am »

All Hail The USSA! (Report of design team life coming soon!)

One small thing, was the description of the USSA missiles supposed to be updated with the revisions?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9