Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race OOC  (Read 13467 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race OOC
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:27:26 am »

I will be watching.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 10:07:49 pm »

1970 Situation Report

The Confederacy make headlines in technology magazines around the world with the introduction of reliable (though expensive) solar power. The new film delivery system for the USAA's spy satellite turns the heads of the intelligence community when its made public this year, though the plebs focus on the dozens of casualties incurred during testing, all of which were classified hilariously as "trampoline accidents." On the low profile side of current affairs, military analysts pay little heed to the USSA's newly developed anti-radiation missile because of its inadequate range, and veteran Amerikan aviators laugh at the Confederacy's attempt to overload their lightweight rocket fighter.

Spoiler: USAA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Confederacy (click to show/hide)

In the East Upper Atmosphere, Type 20s sent on scouting and anti-rocket missions are downed time after time. Type 20 pilots are always warned in advance by their radar system, which sounds an alarm when the aircraft is being painted by enemy ground radars, but Crowmurder SAMs are so effective at tracking and destroying them that it doesn't matter. Commanders aggressively employ the Type 600 ARM, but Type 20s are consistently downed by ground fire when trying to deploy it. Later in the year, a desperate group commander removes throttle locks on his group's Type 20 aircraft against orders, hoping his men could outrun missiles—missiles they couldn't beat by climbing or diving—if they practiced careful throttle management. The commander doesn't survive to be issued a court martial when his four-plane squadron runs into a nest of SAMs the same day he issued the order to remove the locks, and all aircraft are lost when pilots attempt to accelerate to their aircraft's theoretical top speed. In their rare face-offs on this front, Type 20s are unable to use the superior range of their missiles at the opening of fights, as the MRAAM IR warheads are only capable of locking onto hot exhaust ports. As such, Z-1s are often allowed to fire their missiles first, which gain a reputation for their deadly accuracy. However, if even a single Type 20 survives the initial volley, the flight of Z-1s are doomed to be picked off one by one by MRAAMs and autocannon fire. As such, Z-1 pilots quickly learn to fire their missiles and climb away, where Type 20s can't reach them. In spite of the disintegration problem they're still much faster than most jets, and entire wings of Type 20s are taken down by Z-1s taking advantage of their superior climbing ability to ambush them from above. Plane VS plane engagements on this front are in favor of Z-1s. (USAA is being shut out 0/5; Confederacy has full control of the area 5/5)

Z-1s harass flights of Type 20s with impunity in the West Upper Atmosphere due to inadequate anti-air defenses, but with only air-to-air missiles, and small payloads of them at that, they can't do much else. Z-1s scout USAA cosmodromes and make attempts on rockets in the air throughout the year. (Un)fortunately none of them are successful, as even though Z-1s can time their approach such that they intercept the rocket at the appropriate range in order to launch their SRAAMs, they don't have the power or vertical maneuverability to track the rocket long enough to hold the lock until impact. (USAA controls most of the area 4/5; Confederacy is making frequent incursions 1/5)

In East LEO, cosmonaut missions sabotage Confederate communications satellites with impunity. There aren't enough astronauts to defend them all, and there's no way to destroy enemy capsules in flight. The Confederacy still maintain a presence in the area due to its sheer size, and the inability of cosmonauts to engage astronaut capsules. (USAA controls most of the area 2/3; Confederacy are holding their ground 1/3)

In West LEO, the few Confederate astronauts occasionally de-orbit USAA communications and spy satellites. Cosmonauts only intercept a team of astronauts on one occasion, managing to frighten them away from a valuable comsat with the threat of their presence. (USAA controls most of the area 2/3; Confederacy is making frequent incursions 1/3)

Two capsules belonging to both sides arrive at the Moon this year. The USAA use their payload advantage to support a six man crew, where the Confederate capsule only has a three man crew. The two vessels burn towards the Moon, unable to attack one another in flight, and land on the lunar surface within sight of one another. The cosmonauts spend more than a half an hour dismounting from their command module due to their numbers, and are attacked by the Confederate astronauts who had already regrouped and taken cover around their command module. Gunfire is exchanged over the course of an hour. The machine pistols are difficult to control in zero gravity as they only have an automatic fire setting, and the Confederates, though they have more problems dealing with recoil than they would on Earth, eventually manage to pick off every last cosmonaut without taking a single casualty. The astronauts transmit a message of triumph to ground control and plant the Confederate flag on the Moon, destroying the USAA one that was there before. (USAA is being shut out 0/4; Confederacy controls the entire area 4/4)

CONTROL OVERVIEW ([USAA CP]-[Confed CP])
East Upper Atmosphere (0-5): 1 Chemical, 1 Ore
West Upper Atmosphere (4-1): 1 Chemical, 1 Ore
East LEO (2-1): 3 Chemicals (1 resource/CP)
West LEO (2-1): 3 Ore (1 resource/CP)
Moon (0-0): 2 Ore (1 resource/2 CPs)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:04:01 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:42 am »

Ha- the moon belongs to the workers now!
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:31 am »

We are all workers. You are just more workers in less land.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 03:06:49 am »

I didn't know we had capsules, comm sattelites and all that. That seriously changes everything.

It also results in some things not making sense. How is it possible that we don't know how to de-orbit a satellite despite having the capabilities to send people to the moon, and Earth orbit (and back) and having widespread comm sats.

Alternatively, how is it possible that we have commsats without solar power( batteries won't last long )?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:09:14 am by 10ebbor10 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 03:46:06 am »

I was about to go vote to design a capsule before I realized we already had one even if it wasn't on the list... it's strange, really.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:47 am »

I didn't know we had capsules, comm sattelites and all that. That seriously changes everything.

It also results in some things not making sense. How is it possible that we don't know how to de-orbit a satellite despite having the capabilities to send people to the moon, and Earth orbit (and back) and having widespread comm sats.

Alternatively, how is it possible that we have commsats without battery power?

My first design was actually a battery powered commsat!  Now don't I look foolish.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 06:00:27 am »

Alternatively, how is it possible that we have commsats without solar power( batteries won't last long )?
Sabotaging has the same effect as de-orbiting (as in they were torn to pieces), mechanically.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:59 am »

Yes, but I assume that the cosmonauts who do the deorbiting get home in some way.

Thus, we clearly know how to get back.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 06:03:08 am »

I assume you have sats with radioisotope thermoelectric generators. They are a thing you know...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:18 am »

Yes, but I assume that the cosmonauts who do the deorbiting get home in some way.

You mean get the space men back to the ground? Yes, both sides know how to do that.

As for comsats, they just use batteries.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 06:15:27 am »

Off course I do. But seeing as how you had to develop pannels, giving us panels for free seems unfair. Point is, the list does not reflect what we really have.

You mean get the space men back to the ground? Yes, both sides know how to do that.

And since we know that, how is it possible that we can't do the same thing with a small piece of film.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:24 am »

Off course I do. But seeing as how you had to develop pannels, giving us panels for free seems unfair. Point is, the list does not reflect what we really have.

And since we know that, how is it possible that we can't do the same thing with a small piece of film.
I didn't give you solar panels, only the Confed have them.

Automated reentry is different from manned reentry. You found a way to do what cosmonauts do without needing one up there.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:10 am »

Yes, automated entry is easier. More g-tolerance, smaller capsule. G-forces mean that thecosmonauts don't do much during landing anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:33 am »

Also, see the soviet space program, where most of the earlier manned missions where controlled from the ground.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9