Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Last Frontier : Suggestion Game  (Read 4135 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Frontier : Suggestion Game
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:32 pm »

Sector Unknown, Unknown Dwarf Planet

A final 40 minute burn puts the Minotauress in a stable orbit around the planet. Now that you're closer, you have a first view of the signal's origin. It appears to be a small colony of some sort on the surface, but something's not right. At the center of the colony, there's what appears to be a domed structure, constructed of rock. This structure includes a communication antenna, so it's probably where the signal originated from.

Surrounding it are, or better said, were 5 inflatable domes, connected via simple prefab pressurized corridors. One of the domes appears to have failed catastrophically, the other 4 seem mostly intact, but are clearly deflated. Domes like this have been utilized for temporary construction for hundreds of years, due to the extreme easy by which they can be set up, but are inherently temporary.

You can't see much more of the colony, or why it is here in the middle of nowhere on an inhabitable planet. But you can send a shuttle towards it, which you build recently. The small, as of yet unnamed shuttle, is of simple construction. It utilizes a monopropellant engine, and has no power generator of it's own, running simply on batteries and a few solar panels. It's life-support is similarly simple, a few Co2 filters (which can be cleared out on the ship) and a small oxygen tank. It does have an inflatable airlock though.

The local sun will set on our little dwarf within a few hours, depriving it from even the trickle of light it now recieves. There's still ample time for a simple expedition though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »

how high up can we run the fusion torch engine before it becomes to much acceleration for us to survive.?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

Depends. Up to 2G if people are not secured. 5G with people in crash coushes, 10 G with people unconcious and the ship on autopilot.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:22 am »

I say we fabricate some simple laser (or if tech is lacking for that, balistic) pistols, and send 10 people to find resources or survivors. emphasis on the first.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 01:19:19 pm »

Ballistic is going to be cheaper (unless something really amazing has happened) and work better in atmosphere...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:17 pm »

Realistically, guns are just plain better. Easier to maintain, still pretty easy to aim, useful in all environments. It also has more stopping power, unless you have a laser that just flashes everything in front of it with radiation like a camera.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]