Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: enraged unicorns?  (Read 1083 times)

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
enraged unicorns?
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

Uh, unicorns are attacking me.  What the heck?  What do I do that makes them "enraged"?  Do they just attack randomly, or do they dislike my tree-chopping?  How can I appease them?

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: enraged unicorns?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

Also, do they fight each other???

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

Unicorns attack when dwarfs get to close to them. All creatures can become enraged during combat at random. It makes them attack harder. They will not attack eachother.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

Unless you make them go berzerk which is kinda hard to do with map-native animals.

They tend to impale all my immigrants  :(

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

The deer is enraged!
The deer is no longer enraged.

Quite often to me.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:06:00 am »

Hi!

Maps with unicorns - they are actually among the worst you can get. Things get really ugly when the dwarven caravan shows up - the axedwarves chase the unicorns but get killed. You get your own dwarves go for the axedwarves' equipment - and get killed by the unicorns themselves. Really, really ugly...

Deathworks

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

So far the Unicorns haven't killed any of my people... I suppose it's just a problem when migrants arrive right on top of a herd or something.  Great, and I was thinking that "protected wilds" was a safe place....

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

Hi!

Well, if you don't have any hunters, you will have a short period of peace - until the caravans come.

I think I didn't get to the elven caravans in my worst unicorn map, or at least, I don't remember them there.

The human caravan usually kills off a handful of the unicorns. On occasion, one or two members of the human caravan will die, but usually the swordsman are tough enough to finish what they start, so nothing to worry about (most of the time).

The dwarven caravan is weak. Really weak. And the unicorns I had were really nasty. They would always meet with the dwarven caravan when they left, killing half the caravan. The axedwarves are completely useless, so there are lots of bloodthirsty would-be horses waiting for your dwarves to come to collect the murdered caravan members' equipment/bodies.

Engravings of unicorns killing dwarves were the one most common engraving I had in such regions...

My recommendation would be temperate, calm, with lots of vegetation. Unicorns only haunt the extreme benign (?) areas, and elephants are only in the warmer climates. So the worst you will have are cougars and wolves for predators (no problem for the caravans, and only dangerous for hunters), and rhesus macaques and racoons for item stealing and job disruption.

Deathworks

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
My recommendation would be temperate, calm, with lots of vegetation. Unicorns only haunt the extreme benign (?) areas, and elephants are only in the warmer climates. So the worst you will have are cougars and wolves for predators (no problem for the caravans, and only dangerous for hunters), and rhesus macaques and racoons for item stealing and job disruption.

That takes the fun out of it. Sinister or terrifying with no trees all the way!   :D Then you get the cool stuff like giant scorpions and of course the most dangerous creature to walk among dwarves, skeletal elephants.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Darkchampion:
<STRONG>

That takes the fun out of it. Sinister or terrifying with no trees all the way!    :D Then you get the cool stuff like giant scorpions and of course the most dangerous creature to walk among dwarves, skeletal elephants.</STRONG>

But mine only gets one creature there at a time, remember getting a fair few bones when a nightwing decided to pay a visit to the caravan, and got owned by the axeman  :D

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF