Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collected Works of Me  (Read 1323 times)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Collected Works of Me
« on: August 01, 2015, 07:09:31 am »

Saw the writing apprentice thing, but it didn't really feel appropriate for me, don't think of myself as learning to write. Plus I have a ton of stuff I COULD post. So I figured I could try to keep it a little organized at least.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Collected Works of Me
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:10:21 am »

Three Way Chaos

I always read a star wars v star trek story as a kid, and I desperately loved it. It's not the greatest work ever, but when I wanted to do the same for W40k v Star Wars inspiration struck. Originally I wanted to use Space Marines as the key faction, but there were numerous holes with using them, storywise they are more defensive minded. Holding and defending the Imperium. Additionally, non 40k fans will not understand how much more powerful the Space Marines are in comparison to say, a jedi (A weak psycher in many ways). Chaos is much more effective a choice in both cases. It turns out to be one of the most satisfying stories I have written.

Chapter 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:32:13 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:10:38 am »

War of the Sky Lords

This is an epic fantasy that I came up with. I have about 5 books of story already figured out, but I quickly realized that my skill was dwarfed by the project. I put it on hold, while I trained up my writing. This was before most of the pieces I posted here.

Chapter 1
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:25:55 pm by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:11:06 am »

Knights Story

This is a story I wrote after reading Steven Kings 'DraculaSalem's Lot'. Not as good as the original book, but quite satisfying. One point I enjoyed is that King almost implies that the church has a secret order of priests and/or knights to fight evil creatures. This episodic short story was the result.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:41:25 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:11:24 am »

RESERVED

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:11:57 am »

World of Spirits

A very incomplete story, based off of a world engulfed in magic. It is one of my liked pieces because of the feel (IE Humerous)

Chapter 1

The Moon's Lover

This is a story I wrote when I first met my wife. It will never be completed, but I think it's a pretty good piece. Hopefully someone will enjoy it.  ;)

Carver's Short

Another incomplete short. This one is a background piece for an epic I want to write. There is no meta-story. Just a ton of short stories put into one big pile. Most of it isn't stuff I want to post. Mostly being notes about aspects of the universe, but this is a pretty enjoyable piece. Also a bit crossover, so just useful for developing the character. Developing the characters, before putting them into a proper story is something that I find very helpful, but time consuming.

Note: My incomplete's will probably never be completed, because I failed to take down notes for them. So I have forgotten many vital aspects.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:59:59 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:12:16 am »

RESERVED

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:13:06 am »

Deserted World

My favorite story in terms of it being a rich and varied world created without ties or connections to anything. Well, it has a hint of fallout in the feel, and xenogears as well... but it is as unique as any story ever is.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2 - WIP
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:10:27 pm by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:42 am »

Hopefully, this isn't a breach of forum behavior. Still trying to learn the rules of the Internet. Hopefully people will also enjoy them. First time to 'show' my works on an open forum.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:05:42 am »

You're doing just fine.
Don't worry and be creative!

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 05:41:43 am »

Had trouble posting yesterday, didn't think I had succeeded in uploading stuff. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Anyone have an opinion?

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:37 am »

This is... great. Not exactly my favorite genre, but still very nice.
Thank...you...?

Never thought of myself having a specific genre, but now that you mention it, I do seem to favor sci-fi/fantasy niche. I tend to worry about my style of writing more than the genre. I like to think my style varies nicely?

My genre niche has to do with my motivation for writing. I have a SUPER active imagination. In elementary, my teacher's always complained about the apparent battles I was having with myself in class. The problem was they couldn't discipline me for it, because I always answered any question directed at me. Though, apparently, I never stopped having my imaginary battles.  :P

Found out, years later, that I even had a sound track. Writing is my outlet for my imagination, my head would burn up otherwise. I enjoy mysteries, but hate writing them. Far too formulaic for my taste. Written a couple romances, but they get a little... spicy... darn that imagination...  :P

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:38 pm »

Well, this has really reinvigorated my writing for these once 'dead' projects. Chaos is going to be pretty rough to finish without my notes, but I feel that it was too complicated and ambitious.

Actually sank a couple of hours into deserted world yesterday, and got some good writing done. I have put most of my time into my current main project, but it's mostly notes, so not sure if it's something I would post here. Going to post another piece for a bigger project that has also gone a bit stale.