Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experimenting with a possible siege fix  (Read 1249 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Experimenting with a possible siege fix
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:46 pm »

Some time ago, DVNO proposed the following as a solution to the sparseness of sieges, as seen in the quote below:
For some reason in the entity files, PLAYER_FORTRESS is a functional site tag but no one uses them, not even Dwarves. Can setting the Goblins to only have a preference for player fortresses aid with the Siege drought in 40.24? 

setting [LIKES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS] and removing all other preferences, even tolerance for an Entity's own default site, got me *a* siege in 40.24 at least. I don't know if that was just astronomical odds that I happened to get my only siege in six RL months with 40.24 while using those modded raws or not. Could never get it to happen again, but I haven't been playing DF much since then.

Some independent testing would be nice to have, I'd like to know if I'm going crazy or not. :P
As far as I am aware, sieges in the current version seem to be influenced by distance and whether or not the entity in question has a particular preference for the target site. If I said anything that is known to be wrong, please do say so.

If what I said above is correct, it may explain why there are so few sieges. Player sites use the PLAYER_FORTRESS token, rather than that used by the rest of the entity they are playing as. So, as suggested by DVNO, making an entity like PLAYER_FORTRESS will increase attacks. Or so I hope. I've yet to see any real testing on this, so I decided to try it myself.

What I am going to do is take the fortress defense mod, as it currently stand in its thread in Mod Releases, and add [LIKES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS] and [TOLERATES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS] to each entity. I will also do the same to standard DF humans, elves and goblins. I will then create two fortresses near as many civilizations as I can, which I will then try to keep alive for at least a few years. After those two are done, I will create another two, but this time in a position that is as far away from civilizations as possible while having them still remain in the neighbors menu. I will later compare it to a non-modded DF with only the changes stated above, and afterwards to a completely unchanged DF.

I will post the results here as they appear.

EDIT: The world was generated with advanced worldgen, medium region. The only changes were a 100 years of duration, minimum cavern water to 5, 2000 embark points and mineral scarcity to 1000.

As a bonus, the civilization I picked is dying to the point I got a warning about it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:02:42 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimenting with a possible siege fix
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:49:02 am »

PTW
Are you using the same world for each of the tests? or just generating two and placing your fortress near high-density areas?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:28:02 am »

PTW

I wonder, if you give the token to your playable race may it also influence migration?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:35:35 am »

PTW
Are you using the same world for each of the tests? or just generating two and placing your fortress near high-density areas?
I was going to, but now I am not sure.

PTW

I wonder, if you give the token to your playable race may it also influence migration?
I'll try and test that out when I'm done with what I established above. I'll probably repeat what you just suggested in the next version, since we'll have multi-species forts.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:26:37 pm »

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »

You could set a all siege triggers to 1 to speed up the tests, though I don't know how much that compromises the control portion of the test.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:05:58 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:08:46 am »

You could set a all siege triggers to 0 to speed up the tests, though I don't know how much that compromises the control portion of the test.
0 disables them, they would never siege.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:19 pm »

Oooh, you're right.

edited, TY Meph :P

How about setting the pop requirements to 1 (20 Dwarves) and giving yourself 20 dwarves with DFHack command startdwarf 20?
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »

It is now the end of the second year and I've yet to see a single ambush or snatcher. I'll try to keep this fort going for as long as I can, but I won't be able to do any more forts for this tests due to real-life issues.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 07:50:10 am »

The easiest way for me to test sieges has always been spawning X amount of adamantine statues at the beginning with createitem, then crank up the FPS to 500 and activate nopause. Then wait.

As soon as a single trigger is breached, they will siege, you don't need exported wealther or lots of dwarves... just lots of value. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:08 am »

The easiest way for me to test sieges has always been spawning X amount of adamantine statues at the beginning with createitem, then crank up the FPS to 500 and activate nopause. Then wait.

As soon as a single trigger is breached, they will siege, you don't need exported wealther or lots of dwarves... just lots of value. ;)
I had quite a bit of created wealth (got lucky with a mood on year1 and spent the rest of the time with a legendary stonecrafter spamming crafts... even after he became king (which is interesting, because I thought kings couldn't work)), and even after 80 and placing the fort on the doorstep of a bunch of civs... nothing. I guess the only fix is waiting for the next version.

I suppose the current version is nice for making stuff like surface forts and megaprojects.