Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Connecting to the Outside River  (Read 819 times)

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Connecting to the Outside River
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

I just tested this out and it works really well.

The trick is, instead of connecting a channel directly to a river, you can build an aquaduct to act much like a floodgate would.  So if you build the channel exactly like you want it, except for the last square which should contain the aquaduct, the miners will never be drowned and you won't have to waste any time fiddling around putting people in the right spaces.  

If a troll or something destroys it, then it would be easy enough to build a new one.  On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure if it can safely be removed.  One time I tried to remove a second one built next to a first one, to see if it would flood the area like a second floodgate, which caused a permaflood.  

There's also the "bugginess" of aquaducts mentioned on the wiki--it says that 3 tiles on either end must be build on dry land.  That's not too hard, usually you can move the channels around a little bit outdoors because there's plenty of room, and it might have been what caused my flood.

When using the strategy of suspending the construction and restarting it, then drafting the dwarf to ensure movement away from the channel, pausing all the while and being very careful about advancing the game, sometimes a dwarf will be caught in the channel's water regardless.

I'm really starting to think that I should just dig straight into the mountain to make a floodgate channel from the cave river, then placing a door in between the outside river and the channel, and them maybe a bridge at some area inside of the cliff so I can build cage traps and things, but that is quite a bit of unnecessary work for a simple barrier or a method for trapping animals.

Thoughts?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to the Outside River
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

The bit about building the aqueduct ends on land is mostly because aqueduct ends act as pumps (as you have noticed). I once tried to build aqueducts over the 10-square-wide magma flow. The resulting magma flood was not a pretty thing. Nowadays I generally just build bridges for carrying non-channeled floods over obstacles.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive