Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game Concept - Will need all kinds of developers!  (Read 2050 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Concept - Will need all kinds of developers!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

Honestly, just take this MVP plan developed by Retropunk and then slowly expand on it to include the ideas you actually find interesting and intriguing, instead of throwing in the whole kitchen sink. You'll probably have enough difficulty just balancing the MVP's initial mechanics that you will necessarily scale down your ambitions.

While "Iron Testament" (a roguelike in development) does have a complex economic simulation in place, I honestly suggest just having prices randomly shift up or down a certain amount. This is called a "random walk", and quite frankly, humans will have a hard time distinguishing between random walk and an actual complex simulation. There's even a hypothesis that claims that the stock market is essentially a "random walk" anyway...so you can even claim that your game is based on real life. Yay!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:54 pm »

Honestly, I go on Bay12 more often than pretty much any other social site. Forum messages are probably the most reliable way to contact me.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to brainstorm a couple of ideas for small projects before asking around for other developers to join in, too. You're more likely to get a positive response if your goal is more clearly laid out.
What would you consider a small project?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 08:09:48 pm »

What would you consider a small project?

A short, single player horror game. A simple RPG system. A networking tech demo. A standalone map editor. One of those cool little hard-to-classify-as-a-genre games like Gunpoint or Agar.io. Even a proof-of-concept for a larger project would work, really.

Honestly, just take this MVP plan developed by Retropunk and then slowly expand on it to include the ideas you actually find interesting and intriguing, instead of throwing in the whole kitchen sink. You'll probably have enough difficulty just balancing the MVP's initial mechanics that you will necessarily scale down your ambitions.

This is a pretty solid game plan for the sort of game Retropunch is talking about, and the idea carries over to other genres. If you're starting out, choose an idea you can explain in five steps, get that working, THEN start building on it.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:21 pm »

Well first I'm gonna have to figure out even the basics of it. Off I go
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*
Pages: 1 [2]