Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposal for DF showcase  (Read 989 times)

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proposal for DF showcase
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

I'd like to gauge interest in a possible Dwarf Fortress "showcase" - a competition of sorts, but there are not necessarily winners and losers.  Rather, fortresses are graded in several key areas.  Please respond below if you would be interested in participating, or if you have ideas to improve the proposed rules.

This is how it would work:

- Players must upload their fortress submissions by the deadline or they are disqualified.

- For each showcase, there will be a specific challenge.  Fortresses which do not meet the challenge are disqualified.  Example: no farm plots allowed.

- In order to qualify, fortresses much survive a minimum number of years (3?  4?  5?) and reach a minimum population (50?)

- There will be a panel of three judges.  Each judge will grade the fortresses in several key areas.  A score of 0 to 10 points is assigned in each key area.

- New judges will be chosen for each showcase.  If you're judging then you may not submit a fortress, and vice-versa.

-------
Scoring
-------

APPEARANCE: How does the fortress look?  Is it nicely organized, or are there random constructions and workshops strewn about a rough cavern floor?  What are the most pleasing rooms?

LAYOUT: Is the fortress layout efficient?  Does it make sense?  It is pleasant to live in, or are the living quarters placed right next to the catapult practice range?  Special consideration will be given to players who adhere to a specific theme (more below) or must deal with difficult terrain.

THEME AND CREATIVITY: Does the fortress adhere to a specific theme (e.g. only one z-level), and is it internally consistent?  Are all the hallways and rooms shaped similarly, or are things just thrown about?

WEALTH: How much wealth have the dwarves created?

DEFENSE: Is the fortress guarded well?  This category includes military might, elaborate traps, moats, walls, etc...

VARIETY: Does the fortress produce a variety of goods and services, or is it plump helmets and dwarven wine 24/7?

HAPPINESS: Are the dwarves happy?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal for DF showcase
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Heh heh.  I guess single-dwarf-build-everything-from-wood-kill-a-bear-with-an-axe-with-no-previous-training-and-a-broken-hand-fend-off-kobold-thieves-from-a-two-story-house-with-personal-workshop-ro oms fort just wouldn't qualify.

In that case, I'll have to beg out.  I'm a bit busy.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

Where is that thread? I cant find it.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

There is no thread yet, except this thread. He's just asking whether people would be interested in this. And, frankly, I might be.

Personally, I think the scores ought to be a little weighted. Layout is important, as is appearance and theme/creativity. Happiness is pretty easy to get high up, and variety is also pretty easy(unless you use a frigging huge super-plant-mod). Defense and wealth, while important, aren't as important as the looks.

But I'm interested in this.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

I'd be very interested in that.  It'd give me good cause to look over some of my older forts for inspiration and such.  Count me in.
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

I like it!  I'll join some of these future showcases.

Retro

...Maybe my massive underground pillar fort will be ready by the...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

Sounds interesting.  Custom fort race permitted or is it dwarf only?  

If I entered I would probably get good points for defense, probably symmetry in appearance but not much else in that area, my layouts are usually efficient and noise free, and 90% of my forts are usually ecstatic. I would also perform well in a no farms scenario since I get most of my food from hunting and fishing anyway.  My creativity and wealth might not do so well though.

Sounds like fun.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!