Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why my dwarfs have no feets  (Read 2451 times)

mhc4444

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
why my dwarfs have no feets
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »

So im early on with this fort, only a few ingame years, and an odd tendency is shaping the life of my dwarfs, and really booming the potential profit of any good crutch maker.... my dwarfs tend to loose their feets and/or entire legs.... most of the cases are rather normal, but one litterally had his foot 'scratched' off by a cyclobs... the oddest one yet is a dwarf who all of a sudden is in the hosbital in a cloud of miasma, as his rotting leg lies next to his bed... there are no battle report about him that would indicate a substantial hit and no medical records, his leg aparently just fell off after a light bruise by a magma crab :/

anyone got an idea about the sudden leg loss? and anyone who have similar tendencies of crippled dwarf patterns?

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why my dwarfs have no feets
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »

My guess is that there's a contaminant from a forgotten beast on the ground, your dwarves have no shoes and are walking through it bare foot, and it's causing their feet to rot away.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:54:50 pm »

Upper legs seem to be a very common target of attacks, and they cant be protected by multiple layers of metal like the upper body.

My guess if you should try making heavier armor.  Like greaves and/or multiple civilian items.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:45:56 am »

Are you in an evil biome? Does it 'rain' there?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:10:20 am »

It's also possible that the hospitalized dwarf's leg wasn't just bruised, but got badly infected and needed to be amputated. As to the rest...traps and militia are wonderful fort protectors.

mhc4444

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:20 am »

Are you in an evil biome? Does it 'rain' there?

nope, no evil clouds or symptons at all

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:50:31 am »

It's also possible that the hospitalized dwarf's leg wasn't just bruised, but got badly infected and needed to be amputated. As to the rest...traps and militia are wonderful fort protectors.
It has dawned on me that I've never seen Dwarves perform an amputation, only preferring to excise rotten tissues and not gangrenous limbs.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »

It has dawned on me that I've never seen Dwarves perform an amputation, only preferring to excise rotten tissues and not gangrenous limbs.

You know...now that you mention it, neither have I. I wonder whether it was taken out altogether along with misdiagnosis/malpractice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:25:23 pm »

That is a genuine mystery

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »

You know...now that you mention it, neither have I. I wonder whether it was taken out altogether along with misdiagnosis/malpractice.

that was taken out? that's....disappointing.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 03:20:17 am »

that was taken out? that's....disappointing.....
Not as disappointing as the guy who had his femur taken out because his tooth hurt.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 01:35:21 pm »

the fact that cant happen now is whats dissapointing
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 02:23:52 am »

If there are no battle reports, I'd suspect there's an evil ghost somewhere in your fort.
They used to float in the air or hide in the walls when they're idle...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:00 am »

Are you producing boots and shoes?  I remember I had one early fort where I thought "pfft, boots aren't important, I'll save the metal/leather for something else."  Then wouldn't you know it, one of my swordsdwarvs gets caught outside during a siege and manages to fight off something like 12 goblins single handedly but gets her foot chopped off and spends years in the hospital.  From then on, full armor for everyone. 

Civilians walking around barefoot might encounter some sort of similar mishap.  Maybe some kind of vermin is stinging them in the feet? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:52 am »

There'd be a log if dwarves got stung by vermin.

Pedit:  welp, time to mod in hives of wasps with necrosis-inducing stings.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2