Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [SPOILER] HFS defense  (Read 2861 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILER] HFS defense
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>See the "training megabeasts" thread for more info on the subject.</STRONG>

You don't mean me, right?

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Dragons indeed do not reproduce, but a single tag in the data can change that. Just don't generate a new world with that tag in there - I speculate the dragons will reproduce and wipe all the other civizations out.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

I lined a hallway with upright spikes once, and set the lever connected to the spikes to repeat. Made a nice walk of death for any demons dumb enough to come after my dwarves.

Wasn't a whole lot of fun.. though it was probably my most effective defense.

A bit later I built a large pit of my own, and put a drawbridge over it. Put that on Repeat as well, which was a lot more amusing because it sent demons flying (not that I could see them, but when they died their corpses would show up). Worked well until the dwarf on lever duty decided to take a rest, leaving the bridge down. Fort didn't last long after that.

Finally, I did the same bridge+chasm setup, but made an extremely long narrow hallway. I had a ballista shooting bolts across the chasm down the hallway. Every once in a while it would kill something but it took an eternity to clear the place out.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I chuck my nobles down into the pits to reveal demons and then have marksdwarfs shoot 'em down though carved fortifications.

Two birds, one dwarf.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

Capture a fire spirit and put it in a pit in your entrance hall. Next time some goblins wander in, pour water on it and have a clambake.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Inquisitor Saturn:
<STRONG>Capture a fire spirit and put it in a pit in your entrance hall. Next time some goblins wander in, pour water on it and have a clambake.</STRONG>
If only you could!  I don't think it's possible, though, unless by 'capture' you mean don't let him out of his area, and dig a tunnel with indestructible grates to him.'  

Which, again, I'm not sure is possible.  They don't trigger traps unless you mod them.

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: Lyrax ]

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Roariron has a trap to drop "stuff" into hell.... works nicely.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

Lots and lots of marksdwarves. There was a cloud of bolts and then 23 demon corpses.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

Add the vermin_lava tag to demons - then watch your cats reap victory!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

Don't connect the main fort to the pits. Force them to walk acros the surface, where a degrinchinator awaits. They might be immune to magma and water, but being encased/crushed is just as lethal for them as for everybody else.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by xzzy:
<STRONG>I lined a hallway with upright spikes once, and set the lever connected to the spikes to repeat. Made a nice walk of death for any demons dumb enough to come after my dwarves.

Wasn't a whole lot of fun.. though it was probably my most effective defense.

A bit later I built a large pit of my own, and put a drawbridge over it. Put that on Repeat as well, which was a lot more amusing because it sent demons flying (not that I could see them, but when they died their corpses would show up). Worked well until the dwarf on lever duty decided to take a rest, leaving the bridge down. Fort didn't last long after that.

Finally, I did the same bridge+chasm setup, but made an extremely long narrow hallway. I had a ballista shooting bolts across the chasm down the hallway. Every once in a while it would kill something but it took an eternity to clear the place out.</STRONG>

This method could be supplemented by connecting the spikes to a repeater: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:SL/Logic_Gates#Repeater

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Wall off your fort and release the demons on the surface. Thay make a pretty good defense when it comes to dealing with goblins, kobolds, caravans...

If you want the demons out of the surface then make some sort of holding chambers. Make them 3x3 with corridors on two opposite sides and doors protecting these corridors. One corridor leads outside your fortress, the other inside.
When you want to trap a demon inside, open both doors and when the demon's in the chamber, lock both doors.
You must have multiple chambers to be able to trap multiple demons (they don't always come inside together).

Your fortress will soon have engravings of goblins killed by demons.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>If you want the demons out of the surface then make some sort of holding chambers. Make them 3x3 with corridors on two opposite sides and doors protecting these corridors. One corridor leads outside your fortress, the other inside.
When you want to trap a demon inside, open both doors and when the demon's in the chamber, lock both doors.
You must have multiple chambers to be able to trap multiple demons (they don't always come inside together).

Your fortress will soon have engravings of goblins killed by demons.</STRONG>

Have you experience trapping demons this way? I would expect them to just bash down the locked doors and walk right through.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

Not really, but if you say they can smash doors, then doors can be replaced with a couple of bridges and open space on each side of the bridge to make sure the demon can't reach (and destroy) the raised bridge.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

Your initial description got me to thinking about a way towards including an automatic obsidian encasement system for anything that survives n z-levels of rock landing on it's head...

Basically, it goes something like this;

code:

X wall/unhewn rock
. Dug out rock
_ channel
| collapsing support(lever triggerered)
~ magma
^ water

XXXXXXXXXXXX <- Roof to stop demons escaping into the outside world
X_........_X
X_XXXXXXXX_X <- Stone that falls (repeat n times, where n is any integer)
......|..... <- Entrance to trap, plus supports etc
X..X~~~~X..X <- A pool of magma, with thin floors around it.
X^^^^^^^^^^X <- Water

Basically, what happens is the falling block smashes through the floor, dropping through (with demons) into the magma. However, as the block is larger than the magma pool, it also destroys the struts supporting the pool, so magma and demons then plunge a further z-level into water.

Steamy encasement ensues  :D

Further ideas:

It might be better to swap the water and magma, so you don't have to think about ways to keep the magma warm.

Remove the central chunk of falling rock, so it only destroys the struts. That way, encasement is sole cause of death. (Non-flying demons only)

Make the falling rock ice, put magma on the bottom, and dont worry bout the small pool. Ice should melt, resulting water should then solidify magma.

Ideas?

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3