Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [SPOILER] HFS defense  (Read 2860 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
[SPOILER] HFS defense
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

There, the obligatory spoiler warning is in place, and now we can refer to demons as what they really are.  What I'm looking for are innovative, creative, or just effective ways of dealing with demons.  I thought of one a while back which might be interesting to try out, and which could also be extended into a more complex version.

Essentially, it's a wide hall that allows the demons to spread out a bit.  Above it, you channel around a hall-sized block of stone (for possibly more than just one level, for extra rock), and connect it to a support in the hall.  The idea is that demons, although being immune to drawbridges and traps, are not immune to several hundred tonnes of falling rubble.

For bonus goodies, dig out the area beneath the hallway and seal it off.  Now, when the cave-in comes, the demons are not only squished but also squashed as the plunge through the next floor.  You can also, if you wish, fill this lower room with water (for spirits of fire) or magma (for the other guys.  Try it sometime, you might be surprised).  Or, just make it a really deep pit so that they get hurt by the fall.

This design can be used as a "last defense", which can be installed in a standard hall of death to deal with the possibility of the demons killing off all your warriors.  Pull the emergency switch and BLAMMO!  You now not only have wounded demons, you also have a sealed room containing said demons, since it is quite likely some of the falling rocks will block off the entryway.  Plus, it's just damn cool.

Got an idea?  Post it!  Also, if anyone tries the idea illustrated above, please, please, please post a description of how it worked, some pictures, or a movie.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: [SPOILER] HFS defense
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

Every time I encounter hidden fun stuff my fps drops to negative 10, my processor starts smoking, and my monitor flips me off.  I've never been able to even test any defense as every time I pop the cork my computer turns into a 286 dx.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

The best defence? wall off the area...
Magma is overrated.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

This sounds yummy. I think I will go and start trying to plan this right now, then share the results. Is there any particular reason why the demons should be allowed to spread out in the wide hall, though? I agree it would seem cooler, considering it would allow for a wider chunk of rock to fall down and crush them, but am I overlooking any practical purpose for it?

I've used spikes attached to a lever to impale sneaking frog demons before, but I had to be careful not to let any demons slip through when the lever operators were away from the lever. Also, it's hard to tell whether you've got them all, unless you send someone down there to investigate. In the end though, I think I reloaded and sent my Champions down there to battle them, with temperature turned on and all. It was fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

Well, it...   Uh...   No, there's no real reason for them to be in a wide hall.    I just normally design killing fields that way, to accommodate wild fire from the defenders at my side of the hall.  I guess a one-tile wide corridor would actually be more effective, but it's just not as cool...  This way, you can really feel like you sealed something off with a cave-in.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

Okay. I just wanted to make sure. I would like to use a wide hall anyway, for a larger area of destruction, and so you can see any resulting corpses more easily since they'll be spread out more.

Just to note, my current site houses spirits of fire, so I'll be trying it out on them, if you don't mind me carrying out your idea.

Oh, by the way, I thought regular demons and frog demons were immune to magma and could swim in it, is this not the case?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Ah, but that's the fun part.  According to the raws, frog demons, tentacle demons, and "standard" demons all have the [FIREIMMUNE] tag.  however, this does not actually mean they are immune to heat and flames.  All that the tag does is make them think they're immune to fire, so they won't panic if they get into lava.

However, all these demons also have the [STANDARD_FLESH] tag, which is a default package of temperatures.  With these two factors together, it might be possible to see more of the kind of "burning dragon" deaths, as demons get roasty-toastied in hot burnin' love.

Don't try this on Spirits of Fire, though.  They are immune to fire and magma.  Try some water instead, you'll get a massive cloud of steam.  Sure, it won't actually hurt them (I think), but it'd be cool.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

Oh, that's interesting. When I breached the frog demon pit, though, I happened to break into it from across their pool of magma, which meant the only way for them to escape would be for them to either go through the magma... or perhaps across the surface? In any case, it seemed to slow them down a lot, in that they only seeped out very slowly in comparison to breaching the pit from another angle. I didn't notice any burns or injuries on them, but I don't think I specifically looked for any.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

The demon's must be something special, there is no such thing as a 286 dx!
igless

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

This makes me wonder.. They'll swim across magma, but what if you dumped water on it while they were in there?  Would they be encased in rock?
ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

The best defense is as follows.

1. Identify that your area indeed has HFS.
2. Tunnel straight to it the moment you arrive.
3. Get slaughtered.
4. Reclaim with 120 strong military clad in steel and with a thousand arrows.

Actually, demons move so bloody fast that I can't see any defense requiring you to sit there and monitor (while timing) their movements actually working. Furthermore, they come out one at a time at irregular intervals, which makes any ONE FINAL SOLUTION really inviable... unless... you know that the demons aren't frog demons. Then you can just flood the entire area.

You could yanno... encase them all in obsidian though. Flood in some water, then flood in some magma.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

Even if they have the [FIREIMMUNE] tag, they don't have the [FIREIMMUNE_SPECIAL] tag. So, if you have had the luck to have had a dragon in your fort, you can use them in the defence. And if you're really lucky, and should two dragons show up (and if I have understood everything correctly), one should be male and the other female. I think we all know what happens if we put a male and a female tame dragon together in a cage...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>ONE FINAL SOLUTION</STRONG>

Cave in the roof of the whole 'strange chamber.'

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kidiri:
<STRONG>Even if they have the [FIREIMMUNE] tag, they don't have the [FIREIMMUNE_SPECIAL] tag. So, if you have had the luck to have had a dragon in your fort, you can use them in the defence. And if you're really lucky, and should two dragons show up (and if I have understood everything correctly), one should be male and the other female. I think we all know what happens if we put a male and a female tame dragon together in a cage...</STRONG>

I've heard that dragons don't reproduce, and they simply... exist, since the beginning of time. In any case, I've had three dragons turn up at one fortress, but all three of them are unfortunately male.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

See the "training megabeasts" thread for more info on the subject.
Pages: [1] 2 3