Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nothing more to catch... in the ocean?  (Read 2712 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Nothing more to catch... in the ocean?
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:13 pm »

In my current ocean embark, within 2 to 2 1/2 years, just 3 Dwarves fishing emptied the local ocean of fish.

...Is that supposed to happen? I can't imagine 3 people using small scale fishing (no boats, large nets etc) should be able to do that. Bug?

Is there any way (DFHack?) to replenish it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:26:31 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing more to catch... in the ocean?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »

There's a limit to the number of fish that live in the little area of ocean that your fort rests on, and any body of water can be drained of fish after a while. Sadly, according to the bug tracker, the fish in ponds don't regenerate, and it looks like that's the case with oceans as well.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »

Please upload your save to dffd and post it on the bug report so the scope can be (re)broadened to other bodies of water besides ponds.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »

In my current ocean embark, within 2 to 2 1/2 years, just 3 Dwarves fishing emptied the local ocean of fish.

...Is that supposed to happen? I can't imagine 3 people using small scale fishing (no boats, large nets etc) should be able to do that.
don't underestimate dwarves, you give them a log of wood and with it they can make an axe that can destroy a forest

keep in mind that dwarves also don't need/use fishing rods or nets to fish, they merely dangle bait from their beards and seize the fish with their bare hands
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:53 pm »

You can in theory use the dfhack region-pops command set to replenish the fish. I've never had a ton of luck with using it properly though.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »

You can in theory use the dfhack region-pops command set to replenish the fish. I've never had a ton of luck with using it properly though.

I did pop boost the one fish population I still found washed up on the beach (Squid) from 10k to 20k but it didn't make any difference for the local fishing. However I think most of what they were catching was some kind of Ray, and I didn't see any under the various populations. Perhaps had there still been some left I could have boosted their population before they went extinct, or locally extinct.. Not sure which is the case here. Maybe that could prevent them from overfishing. Hmmm, may have to look in to that in the future.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

Dwarves are secretly Thai trawlers.  They can depopulate even the ocean.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:52:33 am »

Dwarves are ecological disasters everywhere they go. It would be interesting to see Merpeople getting angry with your Dorfs for turning the ocean into a blue desert.