Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Journey to Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [5/5]  (Read 2349 times)

Oda

• Bay Watcher
  • Misery used Lurk! It was super-effective!
    • View Profile
Journey to Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [5/5]
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:00 am »

It's the 19th century, and the British Empire is at its zenith. Advancements in science, art, and culture had led to a rapid advancement which revolutionised trading and travel. The economies of China and the Empire have flourished, turning them into the the world's superpowers.

The Kingdom of Prussia, specifically Frederick William III of Prussia, is one of the rulers discontent with their reduced role in the polarised new world. Seeking to redeem the glorious Prussian Kingdom of old, he turned his gaze towards Terra Australis.

A mythical land theorised to exist based on outdated evidence. Every ship that departed for it have always mysteriously disappeared. This is a risky endeavour indeed, but if Prussia is able to colonise it, or at least align itself with the giants that are rumoured to live there, then it would regain its part in world politics.

That, my dear friend, is where you come in.

While the existence of Terra Australis Incognita is rarely doubted among the populace ("Something had to be making those ships go missing!") its reputation of danger has halted any attempts to go near the Pacific Ocean without necessity, let alone Terra Australis. What the Dirsos lack in experienced crew, it makes up for with young, brave sailors, and adventurers like you.

It is a suicide mission you are attempting, but if you succeed, you will become heroes and go down in history.

I have minimal knowledge in history, sorry if I get any detail wrong here and in the game! Basically, it's the Victorian Era. The King of Prussia has contracted you to go to Terra Australis, a legendary land in the south. Setting is high fantasy, but magic has not been harnessed by humans. Not exactly, anyways. There are spirits and beings you can invoke on at a terrible price, and rituals that may or may not have effect upon the world. Alchemy gets the go-ahead if you discuss the concept wit me first. Something like dehydrated fire which would be nonsensical in our world would be allowed in this, for example.

Oh yeah, this RTD will revolve around adventures into the supernatural, in fact.

Crews are assumed to be able to communicate with no language barrier.

Spoiler: Character Skeleton (click to show/hide)

The slots are not first come first serve. It is a combination of dice rolling and plot convenience.

Spoiler: Waiting List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:12:05 am by Oda »
Hi! Feel free to talk to me, I don't bite often.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [0/5]
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:56 am »

Name: James Pendle
Citizenship: Austrian
Description: A tall, slim, and refined man. He keeps himself well-shaven and tends towards verbosity. Quick to anger but not violence. He tends to be aloof, but not so detached as to be entirely unsympathetic.
Background: James was born to a wealthy family, and found most of life to be easy. He had talent and tutors in music and literature, but was always drawn to the human body. In time, he pursued medicine, his way paved to various prestigious places of learning by his parent's wealth. Though shipboard life has never suited him, wanderlust has long since gripped him and he's opted to leave his cozy practice in Vienna to instead join the search for Terra Australis.
Skills: Herb lore, surgery, first aid, diagnosis
Weakness: Combat, persuasion, intimidation, naivety (As in, he's quick to believe lies)
Gear: Surgical equipment, a number of dried medicinal herbs, a number of leeches kept in a tank, and a large supply of alcohol for anesthetic, disinfectant, and drinking purposes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:23:24 am by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Oda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [0/5]
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:31 am »

snip
Since he's a doctor and probably won't be fighting much anyways, you should combine both weaknesses into Combat in general and add another weakness, or broaden either Melee Combat and Ranged Combat (into Strength or something like that).

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [0/5]
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:22 am »

Spoiler: Heinrich (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:30:31 am by Pancaek »

Oda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:59 pm »

Spoiler: Heinrich (click to show/hide)

What era firearms are we looking at here? Early-Mid 19th century muskets or later 19th century cartridge based rifles? Or are we just going to ignore history and do our own thing :P?
It's early Victorian, though with greatly accelerated tech, so they would have rifles.

Oda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:34 am »

So if Pancaek add his gear then we could start.
The vacancy could be filled later. :D

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:21:15 am »

((Sorry about that, I went to see Jurassic World yesterday and today's been pretty busy. Editing now

Editing done. I went with a classic revolver and a very late 19th century bolt action rifle. I hope that's okay.))
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:31:27 am by Pancaek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:03 am »

Spoiler: The Occultist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:16:50 pm by Harry Baldman »

Oda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 04:41:56 am »

The Captain is going to be an NPC (partly so that I can railroad you guys at the start  :P), but there may be a need for a new one depending on how things go.

----

4th of March, 1825

The smell of sea salt and the clamors of goods being loaded on and off ships. It was a chilly spring morning in the port of Königsberg. Business in the harbour was hindered today, if not almost halted by the presence of several royal guards and the King himself. The King knighted the Captain of Dirsos on the spot. He arose as Sir Franco. Of course, Sir Franco himself knew that his title won't save him from the fury of the sea of he wasn't careful.

On board, the crew wasn't given an opportunity to see the crowd below, but it was perhaps a boon. While the ship's staffs are lean, not a skeleton crew, of course, but lean, the human mass on the ground below is astounding. Even foreigners want to see the King of Prussia.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to Terra Australis: Mythic Horizons [5/5]
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 05:00:34 am »

Be in my quarters, doing a bit of light reading on the Presidents of Hell. Naturally, I have forgotten that there is someplace else I ought to be.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:18:08 am »

((waitlist if there is one!))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 10:25:55 am »

Look around the ship to scrounge up a snack

Oda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:59 am »

Be in my quarters, doing a bit of light reading on the Presidents of Hell. Naturally, I have forgotten that there is someplace else I ought to be.

Auto: While the workers were busy getting the ship prepared for castoff (hopefully with the Captain on board), Jos van Djik was in his private quarter - a luxury he got on virtue of the ship's little crew, and the fact that he was signed in as a Theology expert (the general idea was that they'll probably need quite a few divine interventions) - reading a book concerning the Presidents of Hell. Being more up to date than the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, the Presidents that the book touched on alone surpass the number of the demons in the dusty old tome. That was because more demons were discovered, he presumed, not because Hell appointed more Presidents.

As he scanned the table of content, his eyes caught on an unfamiliar name.

"Tehome, or Tehomet was a President of Hell. While no longer commanding any army of Hell, his influence can still be felt. Once a mighty Great President, he was exiled by King Baal for reasons unknown. He takes the form of a chitinous jellyfish, and can move through the minds of those under his sway. He speaks with the voice of thousands, and teaches the secrets of subterfuge and persuasion or bend the wills of those the invoker wishes in exchange for the invoker's sense, which he uses as pigment to colour his masterpiece.

Being exiled from Hell, he resides on Earth. He cannot thrive where light falls, and can only surface from the deep when a solar eclipse occur."

((Adding the rest later!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:39:24 am »

((Eeep, sorry, forgot to post an action.))

James could be found nestled in the infirmary, having recently taken stock of it. Finding it to his liking, he opted to read up on a few stories about Terra Australis. Though only God may know what lurks there, perhaps he'll impart a few words of wisdom.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:36 am »

Name: Charles Cosain
Citizenship: British
Description: Charles is a hulking mountain of a man, 6'11, with bulky muscles, large hands and broad feet. His cold blue eyes are perpetually narrow, his mouth always forming a small frown. His bald head and narrow nose sometimes makes him look like some bird of prey, ready to pounce at a moment's notice. He usually wears a large suit, with black trousers and boots, and tinted glasses.
Background: Charles comes from a long, long line of Bodyguards, each trained to be the perfect servant to the wealthy businessman, from martial arts to culinary skill, the Cosain line has been known through the generations as the ultimate companion money could ever buy. Charles is, in fact, the bodyguard of Fredrick William III, sent to Terra Australis on the request of his master.
Skills: Marksmanship, Martial Arts, Intimidation, Not Dying
Weakness: Speaking, Being A Bit Too Intimidating, Loyalty, Patience
Gear: SIG Sauer P226, 1 Stun Grenade, Truncheon

Anyone who knows who Charles is an expy of shall be given a cookie.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu
Pages: [1] 2