Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: training megabeasts  (Read 2198 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
training megabeasts
« on: March 23, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

I recall reading on this a bit, but was wondering what the success rate of training a megabeast that was caged before it even saw a dwarf, such as a dragon or a hydra.

The dragon can breathe, which is dangerous, but I was thinking if it can be successfully trained and put in a cage or on a chain out in the middle of no where (where sieges are likely to have the wave of goblins wander through) if that could be effective.

igless

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: training megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

I've tamed quite a few dragons and hydras, and had them happily let dwarves lead them about and cage them or chain them. Unfortunately though, my dragons died rather easily and before they could do much damage, when they were exposed to goblin archers. I've been babysitting my megabeasts since then, for fear of them being meaninglessly shot and killed.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

how about building a narrow hallway, where the bow-goblins will meet the megabeast right around a corner, making them struggle for having enough time to fire shots?
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

This begs the question: Can dragons reproduce?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

No, the only megabeasts that can reproduce are Titans. Actually, I think that being a megabeast prevents megabeasts from reproducing, so even Titans might not be able to reproduce (and if this is true, modding won't help either). Then again, this is just something I've heard, so it might not be true.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

Only titans reproduce, but other megabeast reproduction can be modded in so easily it's silly.  Just add [CHILD:1] to the profile.

This won't work for colossi, since they don't have genders.  Again, it's a simple fix, but the idea of bronze colosslets running around is a bit strange.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

hmm, if the dragon was made violently ill due to combat, how much puke would it put out?  And can that count as a frightening breath weapon?
igless

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by uberubert:
<STRONG>how about building a narrow hallway, where the bow-goblins will meet the megabeast right around a corner, making them struggle for having enough time to fire shots?</STRONG>

I've thought about it but for some reason, if I restrain my dragons in any way, they seem to prefer to wait for the goblins to come close and wrestle with them, rather than spew flames at them.

[Edit] My dragons also seem to get into a wrestling match far too quickly anyway, which allows all the unoccupied goblins to shoot the dragon dead while it's being grappled and incapable of frying them.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

Simple.  Make a dragon-chamber.

The entryway leads into a large (or massive, whichever you prefer) room filled with pillars that are spaced randomly around.  'Somewhere' in this jumble of pillars is an unrestrained dragon roaming about as he bloody well pleases.

The pillars block the goblin fire, the goblins block the dragon fire.  Fair trade.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Simple.  Make a dragon-chamber.

The entryway leads into a large (or massive, whichever you prefer) room filled with pillars that are spaced randomly around.  'Somewhere' in this jumble of pillars is an unrestrained dragon roaming about as he bloody well pleases.

The pillars block the goblin fire, the goblins block the dragon fire.  Fair trade.</STRONG>

Sounds good, but I still fear some of the goblins would find their way to the dragon all too quickly and swarm it, giving the archers time to see it and shoot it while it's occupied. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, though. If it works, that'd be awesome.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>hmm, if the dragon was made violently ill due to combat, how much puke would it put out?  And can that count as a frightening breath weapon?</STRONG>

I'm imagining a hallway filling with dragon vomit, and goblins drowning in it. What a way to go!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

And think of the poor peasants that have to clean up that mess!  You'd have to make a lot of new buckets.
igless

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

Speaking of dragons, my dragon just fried a few goblins, and then... uh, died in the heat of its own fire. Was that supposed to happen?

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

Put the dragon in a 1x1 room which is in the center of a large chamber; carve fortifications into the walls of the 1x1 room.  

Have this large chamber be in the middle of a long hallway, which is your only entrance.  Watch as goblins are baked into crispy critters.  Laugh maniacally.

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Old School Gamer:
<STRONG>Put the dragon in a 1x1 room which is in the center of a large chamber; carve fortifications into the walls of the 1x1 room.  

Have this large chamber be in the middle of a long hallway, which is your only entrance.  Watch as goblins are baked into crispy critters.  Laugh maniacally.</STRONG>

I tried something similar, but it didn't work so well:

quote:
Originally posted by Tayrin:
<STRONG>I tried holding the dragon back by sealing it in a one-tile room with a fortification facing down the one-tile corridor, but the dragon simply didn't use its breath attack often enough for it to be useful, and the goblins passed the dragon very easily.</STRONG>
Pages: [1] 2