Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Build A Chimney?  (Read 3143 times)

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How To Build A Chimney?
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

I'm currently thinking about making vertical channels from the surface to all my offices to create some natural light...

Has anyone perfected a way of digging vertical channels???

Currently I am thinking about having to dig a vertical up/down staircase in the actual chimney and then slowly removing them one by one from the top- would this leave a channel? Can I dig channels from one z-level down?

Or would I have to dig the channel and then build a staircase and then deconstruct the staircase?

Any other ideas?

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Build A Chimney?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

my method: digging from surface down I use ramps, cause its fast and safe.
Normally I dont have any caveins
code:

1.    2.    3.    4.    5.
___   _▼_   _ _   _ _   _ _
___   _▲_   ___   _▼_   _ _
___   ___   ___   _▲_   ___
___   ___   ___   ___   ___   ... and so on

dig the ramp, remove the ramp, dig the next ramp...
The  effectiveness is multiplied if you channel out large areas, because of the collapses of unsupported ramps.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

as addition: You can construc a Roof (and floors) with Glass. (Clear?)Glass does not block the Light.

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

I think you don't even need to remove the ramps actually. Not sure, but I think that's how it works.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

If you build a column of stairs, then channel out each level, one by one, you never have to worry about cave-ins, dwarves falling or any other associated annoyances.  Think of it as building a scaffolding then deconstructing it.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

As far as I know removing the support below a ramp forces it to collapse crushing the dwarf below it most of the times.
I lost some miners to this but don't really know if this is still in the current version.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Heph:
<STRONG>as addition: You can construct a Roof (and floors) with Glass.</STRONG>

You can construct a roof with rock and it doesn't block the light, at the moment.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

You can construct a WALL of rock (or anything else) and it does not block light, at the moment.

There is no way to make something 'underground' again after it's exposed to the daylight, and Light Inside counts to prevent cave adaptation.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RedWick:
<STRONG>If you build a column of stairs, then channel out each level, one by one, you never have to worry about cave-ins, dwarves falling or any other associated annoyances.  Think of it as building a scaffolding then deconstructing it.</STRONG>

Works best with large area's though, since you have do designate each level after the one above is done

Magma is overrated.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

Oh, there is a way to make a tile underground again, but you have to hack the game with designator.py to do it.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Do stairs block light?

I could just leave them in if it didn't...

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"