Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you enter Uruguay if you've been charged with a crime?  (Read 1049 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you enter Uruguay if you've been charged with a crime?
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:31:35 am »

This is kinda relevant and kind of important. I looked it up on the Internet and could find no answers. Anyone know how I can find out?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Can you enter Uruguay if you've been charged with a crime?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:42:36 am »

Call the Uruguayan embassy in your country?
This is a blank sig.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:58 am »

I'm not familiar with Uruguayan law, but "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal principle applicable to most western legal systems. However, it may depend on what kind of crime one is being charged with.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:59 am »

Mm... on that side of things, the bigger issue is often with the laws of the country in which you're charged. Crossing the borders when you've been charged is... usually not something the local law enforcement finds amusing. At all.

MH definitely has the best idea, though. That and contact whatever your legal defense is, if you have any, and/or whatever law enforcement agency has charged you. You really want to clear something like border crossing with both sides, if you're under suspicion for law violations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:34 am »

Frumple is right. I should've mentioned that the bigger problem is with your own country's jurisdiction. Going to a foreign country while you're under investigation/charged with a crime can only make things worse for you. You can try to ask the judge for permission, but I doubt that will have any success.

Like both people above me said, you'll want to contact the Uruguayan embassy and also petition the judge. Really though, I recommend that you solve any legal problems you have in your home country before trying to travel. Suddenly going away when you're charged with a crime can get you arrested pretty quick and make things even worse.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:27:56 am »

Unless you're a citizen of a Mercosul contry (and by your profile, it doesn't seem that way), you'd need to visit the embassy to do any sort of crossing. If you are not in South America, you'll also need a plane. To top it off, Uruguay is one of the least corrupt countries in the world, so if you are in legal trouble don't expect much help from them.

We'd need more details to help you further.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:27 am »

What kinds of details?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:49:00 am »

What kinds of details?
What crime, why Uruguay, that sort of thing.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:52:24 am »

Though, uh. I'd seriously suggest talking to the lawyer involved before you detail anything of that nature. Seriously. Y'probably don't want to risk having that sort of information traced back to you, especially given the question in question.

Definitely talk to the embassy and judge/lawyer/etc. instead of the internet, when it comes to something like this. To do differently is serious bad juju that occasionally gets people thrown in jail for significantly longer than they otherwise would have been.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:54:05 am »

Should've probably mentioned that, yeah. Talk to a lawyer... and by that I mean one that is not on the internet, as anything can and will be traced if you create the opportunity for it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:19 am »

Talk to your actual lawyer first (if you have one). If you dont, well, better get yourself one soon. We don't know the details of the crime you (or some other person) are being charged with, when you got charged, what country you're in, etc; so we can't really help much, but posting that kind of info here will only end up creating a source of info you may not have proper control over, and that can be traced back to you with enough effort.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. For the record, I haven't been charged, I don't plan to flee the country, and I don't plan to do anything illegal.