Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mafia 3 officially announced  (Read 1470 times)

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 3 officially announced
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »

I liked Mafia too...sadly the game felt like an empty GTA...they nailed the environment and immersion...but I am not one for linear games with fake open world aspects

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:47:00 pm »

I liked Mafia too...sadly the game felt like an empty GTA...they nailed the environment and immersion...but I am not one for linear games with fake open world aspects
Well, two in particular felt empty because they axed more or less everything.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »

Exactly...and I worry they are gonna do that in 3...

All they had in 2 was store robberies...if I am in the Mafia why can't I extort, kidnap, assassinate, rough people up, etc? actual mob work...the least they could do is add random mob missions like that

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »

For mafia games you can't beat The Godfather.  It's the only movie tie-in that's actually good, probably because it doesn't try to follow the story.  It reads more like fanfiction, you're some new dude who shows up and plays a key role in all the important scenes and eventually becomes the Don.  It's fun though and you get to do all the fun mafia stuff like drive-bys and extortion and firebombing stores.  There's also achievements for killing people in creative ways.
Shoes...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 11:53:37 pm »

For mafia games you can't beat The Godfather.  It's the only movie tie-in that's actually good, probably because it doesn't try to follow the story.  It reads more like fanfiction, you're some new dude who shows up and plays a key role in all the important scenes and eventually becomes the Don.  It's fun though and you get to do all the fun mafia stuff like drive-bys and extortion and firebombing stores.  There's also achievements for killing people in creative ways.

That game was fun but the 360 version was crap.

EA does what it does best.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »

Obviously this ain't Gangsters: Organized Crime.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »

Can't say much about Mafia 2 as I have yet to play it but Mafia 1's story missions was where it's heart was. The "GTA" parts, Freeride etc. was nice, but it was never even meant to stand on it's own feet. It was linear, story driven missions and they were DAMN GOOD.

So if we get more of that in 3? I'm fine with that. Any freeride antics can get cut out in favor of solid solo campaign for all I care. Frankly, I find the GTA-like market is crowded enough as it is, even though I can think of only 3 most actual on the market right now (and 2 of those old already) - GTA5, Saint's Row 4 and Sleeping Dogs. Dunno, but I find it if you get one GTA(-clone), you don't need to be in immediate hurry to get another one for years... but that's just me.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »

What is odd is that the GTA-like market is usually "watered down versions of what people are actually interested in"

Like Watch_Dogs with its highly unimpressive hacking.

As for Mafia 3... it is hard to be hyped with what was kind of a very spotty series even if you love the game. I certainly hope it is good mind you.