Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Games with thunderous cannonfire?  (Read 9071 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Games with thunderous cannonfire?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:14 pm »

There's an Early Access game called From the Depths you might be interested in looking at. It's got a customizable cannon system, meaning you can make anything from 40mm rapid-fire Bofors-alikes to the biggest battleship cannons. It's got a lot of other features, too, of course, like modular missiles and torpedoes, sails if you prefer them over modern propulsion, laser systems that can be configured to both fire on enemies or shoot down missiles, a fairly comprehensive AI system that's heavily configurable in-game and reasonably capable at acting on its own, and lots and lots of building potential.

The cannons, though... there's nothing quite like being able to say 'I made that' as massive shells sail in from your flagship two map grids away and obliterate your enemies.
Nothing important here, move along.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »

You can build a Death Star complete with planet-destroying laser cannon in Master of Orion II
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »

[snip]
Yeah, I couldn't tell you where to buy metal fatigue (well, at a price that isn't bughumping insane -- there's apparently copies on amazon starting at ~70 USD and going up to three hundred goddamn dollars), but there's plenty of copies floating around the internet. Pretty easy to just google it or something >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »

I attempting to google around for Metal Fatigue, couldn't find any working copies.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »

[snip]
Yeah, I couldn't tell you where to buy metal fatigue (well, at a price that isn't bughumping insane -- there's apparently copies on amazon starting at ~70 USD and going up to three hundred goddamn dollars)

And this is a perfect example of why we need copyright reform
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2015, 04:55:09 pm »

It exists in certain places that won't be named, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a seeded copy.
Shoes...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »

Are those harder to track? WTF happened to direct downloads?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 05:11:10 pm »

It's distributed so it's not as easy to take down (see megaupload vs all the unsuccessful attempts on kat and tpb.  Hell, last time tpb got taken down you could download the trackers from google archive), you don't need large centralized server banks and you can keep a lower profile.  The kind of traffic TPB or KickassTorrents facilitates would be unfeasible to host directly.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »

P2P is better in almost every respect than hosted downloads. But it also puts the control of distribution entirely in the hands of consumers, so media companies don't like it very much.
Thankfully the way the system works they just have to deal with tough shit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2015, 07:08:18 pm »

At least until the corporate powers-that-be manage to gain control of policing the internet.

Back on topic, the ArmA series might give you some options. You can control or command things like tanks and emplaced guns. Obviously the focus is mostly on realistic infantry combat, but a cannon is still a cannon.
Nothing important here, move along.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

Wolfenstein The New Order has impact which seems to be what you're looking for.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:43 pm »

Company of Heroes, an RTS, is my go to when I want thunderous 'splosions. When you mass up 3+ Howitzers as the Americans and a line of anti-tank guns, the noise is glorious.
I did that screenshot by mistake... and god is it glorious :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the other hand, when i want cannon fire i insall up age of sail 2 cities of abandonned ship with a couple of mod and the game become glorious! Or if i feel more eye candy/arcadish i go assassin creed black flag.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:50:59 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:34 pm »

There's a fun old game from the late '80's/early '90's about tanks called "Scorched Earth". I think it's abandonware.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »

Tau Cannon from Half Life 1.
wubwubwubWubWubWUbWUBWUBUWBUW CAHSOOM

Plus, Half-Life 1 was a great game overall. So were the expansions.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

For big wooompff you can try From the Depths. You get to build your own ships/submarines/airplanes minecraft-style, with some fairly complex systems. Guns aren't just a gun plopped down. You set lots of different weapon components, from different types of gun-barrels, ammo loaders, ammo containers, modifiers, etc.  Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfmMvhG-98k

And in the vein of someone suggesting the guns on the A-10, you can also just grab a WW2 flight sim like IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 and fly the P-39. You know, the airplane that was built around the gun it was supposed to carry! That has a nice satisfying woompf and kick back every time it fires!

--- edit ---

Naval Action, which I don't think you can get right now, but will be able to get in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T57iOkbTttM
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:12:56 pm by Anvilfolk »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6