Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Under the Alien Stars-Burned World  (Read 11696 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Alien Stars-Target Located
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2015, 08:58:38 am »

Anita finishes vomiting, and stands up. "Bleh. Stasis sucks sometimes... where was it we could get water again?" she says. Normally she would try to read the minds of those around her, but she wasn't really in a state to reliably use her powers.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2015, 09:08:44 am »

((Huh, Do we have solar collectors because that was one of my skills?))

Camilla grimaces as she watches the crystal 'Dragon'-this myth she is not entirely familiar with-gulps down the herbivore. And, they wanted it alive?

She activates the ship wide announcer, and sends out a message everyone can hear

"This is Camilla Rinaldo speaking. Good morning, everyone. Systems status are more or less green-the ships is holding together remarkably well. Scans completed, no obvious hostiles in the area-found some other interesting things, as well. Everyone shake out your cryo sickness, and meet in the refectory as soon as you are able. We'll break for a much needed lunch, I'll show you the results of my scans, and we can discuss our next move. Rinaldo out." She announced.

~

Then, she began composing a message to send to the research station...

Hail, Unidentified Station. This is Free Trader *Insert ship name here, I can't find if we named it. :P*...please, respond. Would be nice to hear a friendly voice after all these miles.
She said over the comm.

Action: Send a general hail to the research station.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2015, 09:10:56 am »

((Crap, I forgot skills... or do the psionics replace skills?))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2015, 09:20:04 am »

((Huh, Do we have solar collectors because that was one of my skills?))
((Yes, same reason you have Mac.  Assume that for each skill everyone has, the ship has something you can use with it.  Same reason the ship used to be a salvager and would still be equipped with magnetic grapple, and external welders is because Flabort had the salvage skill.  I didn't want to say that would effect it until the game had actually started as to not bias people's character creation.))

*Insert ship name here, I can't find if we named it. :P*
((Nope, feel free to make a name up/discuss it among yourselves or otherwise.  For now it's just an unmarked ship with no serial number.))

Hail, Unidentified Station. This is Free Trader *Insert ship name here, I can't find if we named it. :P*...please, respond. Would be nice to hear a friendly voice after all these miles.
    A chittering style sound responds to your message, the vessel's translator struggles to parse what the alien species is attempting to say.  The computer unhelpfully spits out some gibberish, and from the creatures tone you can't be sure whether it sounds scared or aggressive.  Regardless it continues chattering for a very long time after you cease talking, slowly growing quieter until it finally ceases the sounds, though the comm link remains open on it's end.

((Crap, I forgot skills... or do the psionics replace skills?))
((You'd want psionics to be one of your skills, otherwise you'd be an untrained psion and that would cause your abilities to act somewhat randomly.  Otherwise you still get two in addition.))

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152587.0
OOC thread to stop cluttering IC thread.
Nom nom nom

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2015, 09:21:59 am »

((I was asking if psionics was a skill that took up all the slots or something, but alright. Editing sheet.

Might want to reserve a couple posts in the OOC thread, for character lists and such.))
Sigtext!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2015, 09:36:32 am »

Camilla furrowed her brow. This was sort of expertise, communications. Though, she was no xenobiologist. Nikolia was one of those, and she guessed he would have more luck with this. Still, she was a Lunar, stubborn and proud. She wanted to do it herself.

She began sending not words in response, but numbers-sending them embedded in the comm signal. One plus one equals two, two times two equals four, four minus two equals two. All languages, all species, in the entire universe understood the language of mathematics. It a true universal constant of all intelligent life. If they understood what she was trying to do, and responded in kind she could then, hopefully-manage to work a binary language system into the translator...it was worth a try.

Action: Attempts to figure out the aliens language, interfacing with the translator. Try to speak to them using mathematics!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2015, 09:38:35 am »

Anita wanders the ship, eventually coming across the mess hall or equivalent, and gets some water and food.

((I've reposted the sheet with skills in the OOC thread.))
Sigtext!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2015, 10:26:03 am »

Camilla furrowed her brow. This was sort of expertise, communications. Though, she was no xenobiologist. Nikolia was one of those, and she guessed he would have more luck with this. Still, she was a Lunar, stubborn and proud. She wanted to do it herself.

She began sending not words in response, but numbers-sending them embedded in the comm signal. One plus one equals two, two times two equals four, four minus two equals two. All languages, all species, in the entire universe understood the language of mathematics. It a true universal constant of all intelligent life. If they understood what she was trying to do, and responded in kind she could then, hopefully-manage to work a binary language system into the translator...it was worth a try.

Action: Attempts to figure out the aliens language, interfacing with the translator. Try to speak to them using mathematics!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    It takes a very minimal amount of time for you to reach common ground among the universality of numbers and the creature communicates that it could understand you  and in turn thought you had the information to decode it's language.  The creature sends a software update packet for your translator containing the entirety of it's language, shortly after a vid-feed follows.  On screen you can see a small sized, four armed insectoid humanoid wearing a specialized suit with a clear plastic headpiece.  You can see gases similar in color to the gas planet far below swirling beneath it's visor.  The suit itself looks vaguely like chitin though is obviously a space age material, mostly white with long scrawling burgundy insignia's on it's arms.  Behind the creature you can see two sets of similarly armored gossamer wings waving calmly back and forth making whorls in the dust motes floating through the air about it.  The creature grasps it's four hands together and bows to your image, it chatters and the computer takes over translating quickly in it's typical tin voice.
   "Greetings and good flight to you Free Trader.  I am 'He who touches clouds', truly I am honored to make first contact with an alien species.  Your gift of this station has taught my people much and we are eternally grateful for the knowledge you left in orbit just above our reach.  We first learned to strive for the sights above the clouds and while many attempts ended in disaster the sight of stars we had not know existed previously was worth all the loss.  Now in turn to know that whom we thought for many years to be gods have returned to us a mere year after reaching this fabled station of knowledge I am truly most blessed to be given the chance of speaking with you.  Please excuse my rambling O' bastion of knowledge beyond the clouds, I am simply outside my exoskeleton with excitement."  It appears to be crying as the musical sound caused by it's mandibles scraping together fills you with a deep sense of joy.  'He-who-touches-clouds' stands at attention, eagerly awaiting your response as his mandibles continue sawing back and forth with quiet ambiance.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:27:59 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2015, 11:19:38 am »

"...We have so much to discuss. Greetings to you, fellow traveler. I find a beautiful synchronicity in two explorers meeting as one. You may call me 'The-Moon-Dusts-Her-Skin'!" She said with a smile, attempting to mimic the creatures gesture as best she could. She was enchanted by the sound the creature was making, and could only imagine what their music might be like...culture, religion, politics...this what she really wanted to be doing with her life...

"We should begin with the basics. What do you call your species, and how did you get up here? What can you tell me about yourselves?

But, since I asked first, I will answer my own question, in the spirit of galactic diplomacy. My species is called 'Human', though I am differ in many ways from my terrestrial cousins. We are a wide ranging species that dwells on rocky, temperate worlds with an oxygen and carbon dioxide atmosphere. Better to call me, 'Lunar'-a moon dweller. My sub-species is adapted to live in low and zero gravity environments, though not enough that we can do so without mechanical aid. We have come here on a mission of exploration, of peaceful intent-seeking a live xenological lifeform to take back to our homeworld, of Earth. We did not expect to find intelligent, friendly lifeforms."

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:21:13 am by Dwarmin »

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:14 am »

Resun finishes checking over his workshop before turning to leave it, satisfied with it's current state before spotting Hector, nodding to him with a small smile. "Hey, how are you?"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »

He thinks for a few minutes, attempting to choose his words appropriately and as he does so he sways gently back and forth without apparently meaning to.  Snapping to attention once apparently having decided he in turn responds.  "Thank you for that description 'The-Moon-Dusts-Her-Skin', we had attempted to decode much of the information that was left here and now I see we were slightly off on some assumptions.  Recently, since reaching this station we were calling ourselves human since it seemed to denote a being that stood upright, had a central nervous system, distinctive face and head area, arms and legs.  But now I see that Human was meant to be more specific than that.  Apologies, but perhaps in future years our species might decide upon a name of our own."
   "As for how I got here, well I flew.  It was difficult and tiring, the electrical storms nearly consumed me as I passed through our clouds and out into the swirling colors after which the crystalline horror nearly swallowed me whole though I was faster.  I rested some time on... our moons I suppose they are, my people had never previously gotten high enough to see them before and as such we had no name for them nor their inhabitants.  Soon later I found that the air was getting much thinner, which made me nervous that I'd no longer be able to fly.  Luckily though it seems to have had no effect on me, so soon there-after I alighted upon this fair station unto which I began my studies."

You begin to notice now that the dust motes swirling about his wings are in fact clouds of the crystalline material that keeps the islands floating high above the gas giant, though it is starting to seem that it is not a true gas giant at all but rather a large planetary body with an immensely strong magnetic field and plasma storms in it's upper atmosphere making it appear to be a gas giant.
    He pauses momentarily while he thinks about your final question, "Well... physically speaking my people range in size from exceptionally small by your standards (he makes a cube about 1/2 a foot in height with his four hands.) up to slightly larger than me.  Only the larger of us have wings, whilst the smaller ones tunnel among the rocks of our planet using an... acid I believe it would be called to let them consume the very stone itself.  As well, depending on our lineage we can exist anywhere from temperatures akin to what is described here as deep space to I think it relates to 1000 C*.  I personally subsist near your normal temperatures though this old station is far too cold for me currently.  We breathe gaseous, liquid and sometimes frozen clouds of hydrogen, though many other chemicals are mixed in with our air none of them are necessary."

Noting the last thing you mentioned he looks puzzled and asks "Does that mean that you did not leave this station here hoping we would reach it?"
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:27 pm »

"Not exactly, though the presence of this station and those who came before did give us the directions to get here. It's how we learned of the xenobeing we seek.

'He who touches clouds', you must understand there are as many different species aside from humans, and many different factions, many sorts of people. Space is very large, after all-there are as many peoples as ten times ten times all the stars in the sky. Your horizons broaden ever wider as you learn, my new friend-all your questions will lead to yet more answers. For example, you could not have known that your world is amazingly unique, mimicking a gas giant, but having terrestrial origins. It is likely why you have had no contact yet from other species. Most of us had no reason to assume your world supported any intelligent life below the floating islands we see-most gas giants have liquid metal cores, incapable of supporting life as we know it.

I believe this place you found was abandoned by it's previous owners-they were scientists, I think-and it's entirely likely they had no idea your people existed at all. But, chance fate or divine design, you have shown great courage and have brightened the future of your people. It is an honor to meet you, though I cannot claim to have left this station for you. Forgive me that."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2015, 12:35:23 pm »

He Chirrps a few times as you finish,  "Yes I suppose you are correct.  Perhaps I will be able to get some of my brothers from below the clouds so that we might start exploring some of these great questions.  For now however, I have two questions you may be able to answer oh honored 'The-Moon-Dusts-Her-Skin'.  Firstly, might I come aboard your metal nest and see it with my own 12 eyes?  Secondly, what is this mentioned Xenobeast you seek?"  His buzzing changes pitch a few times before settling into a barely perceptible deep bass that reverberates through your body.
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »

"...I believe we can arrange a meeting, as friends. I must speak to my crew about that first, however, and we will have to find some way to get you over here safely.

Also, the being we are seeking is...well, it is a very large predator, very dangerous. I'm not sure what you call it, but...allow me to forward you a scanner feed, of the image I took not long ago. Do you recognize this species?"

She began manipulating the console rapidly.

Action: Send the scanner image of the Crystal Dragon over to Touches-Clouds.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2015, 12:43:30 pm »

Following the sounds of voices, Culla made her way to the bridge. The Lunar was talking to something on the monitor.

There was some kind of bug on the screen - a pretty one. It chirped, and she mimicked the sound in greeting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12