Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dawn of Evolution II [No Player Limit]  (Read 8600 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Evolution II [No Player Limit]
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »

((Can we assume there are stock fish since a lot of the PC creatures are hard to eat?))

Make their way to the coral reefs and start hiding ourselves as coral, we don't clump up and give each other some hunting ground. The Trapleon's only move closer to each other to reproduce and then they spread out slowly expanding over the entire coral reef and avoid eating things with spikes since they could puncture the Trapleon's bellies.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 02:35:50 pm »

The great beasts above threaten the krill and their dependent predators, but what can the krill truly do?  For now the krill continue to consume, reproduce and be consumed in turn, just about managing to stave off destructive predation.  Yet the magnetic sensitivity of the krill to each other provides the basic building blocks for a coherent swarm behaviour.  Amongst the swarms, a tendency develops to 'clump' around krill that set off the right stimuli - in effect, when a krill gives off the signal, it encourages nearby krill to approach and give off the same signal.  The grand result is a temporary ball of fairly dense krill, lasting perhaps ten to fifteen seconds before the stimuli wear off.

Start evolving 'clumping' swam behaviour.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 02:43:08 pm »

spread out in the caves,getting food by fully opening their mouths and staying completely motionless until something swims in
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »

wingeds- lizard like creatures with wings, these wings could be used for flight if they somehow got to the surface, but as It stands there used for rapid movement in the water. color on there bodies and eyes varies. they are quite clever and are known to find ways to outwit there prey, hunting alone or in groups

they live primarily in underwater caves, typically those that are dry land on the inside due to air pockets.

these creatures are largely amphibious, they can remain underwater for days at a time, but prefer to sleep inside caves.
they also have a great sense of smell.

-exist-
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

In this current situation, the Runt have almost nothing to fear. They will travel around in packs of five or four, feed on coral, and reproduce. Stay away from carvicts.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 03:10:23 pm »

The Carvicts are not sapient. They may be clever, but to say that such creatures could hold debate would be ridiculous. Nonetheless, that is precisely what appears to be happening. Large numbers of the crustaceans cluster together, scuttling between and atop each other, as space opens around pairs or singles. Several hours or even days later, they would disperse, returning to their individual colonies. Really, it was a mating ritual, and they were breeding locations, but they were also opportunities for socialization, of a sort.

This parasite didn't hurt them, most of the time, but there were multiple solutions to this issue that breeding could and likely would take. The easiest was a behavioral shift, as Carvicts groom each other, cleaning off the spikes, use their hind-claws to scrape off the mold/moss and consume it. It was more beneficial to leave the rest and groom it away again later, as it could also afford some small amount of camouflage, hiding Carvicts from predators more easily.

The second possibility, and one likely to occur with more isolated colonies, was a simple on. While they did not truly excrete toxins to the degree most poisonous creatures did, as usually the growths which stored the poison not only grew only if there was sufficient poison to need or want storing, but also served mainly to break at the tip and fill predators with an assortment of venom that way, there was certainly the possibility of it. And if it did excrete poison in such a manner, then the problem would solve itself; the spikes would be poisonous, so the parasite would be unable to grow there. Of course, these would mean a greater need for toxin consumption, even if it meant that predators would be held off even more effectively.

Which solution would spread to the entirety of the species, if either would, was another question entirely.

[A map would be cool]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 03:11:01 pm »

Hunt in packs, using groups of us to take down prey, especially those larger than us.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 04:04:44 pm »

-Snip-

((I'm pretty sure your parasite is actually Mard. If you like, I'll start evolving it so it avoids natural weapons during growth. If the spike-covering issue isn't too big a deal, I'll get started on making your "second skin" armor-like or allowing it to communicate with its host.))

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »

Yeah a map would be cool.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »

Seadain: With the arrival of Ironside Krill, things have become far easier for the Seadain, who used to have a hard time finding hosts big enough to support them. Now, they thrive around the central hydrothermal vents and the surrounding reefs and eat as much Ironside Krill as they can manage. This Ironside Krill has also brought several new species to the reefs and vents, which can be inhabited by the Seadain.

First real update will be tomorrow, because it's pretty late now. A map will be made but expect it to take several days.

-Snip-

((I'm pretty sure your parasite is actually Mard. If you like, I'll start evolving it so it avoids natural weapons during growth. If the spike-covering issue isn't too big a deal, I'll get started on making your "second skin" armor-like or allowing it to communicate with its host.))
Yep, the parasite is Mard. I thought I mentioned the name but apparently I forgot, sorry about that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 04:21:11 pm »

-Snip-

((I know it is. Still need to take care of that somehow. The latter two work; I actually like both of the options I described, since they do things other than just take care of the Mard covering the spikes(more poisonous against predators or more consistent social interaction), and shouldn't really harm the Mard that much anyhow, allowing you to work on the other evolutions. I actually half-expected/hoped the Mard would latch onto me, since I have a shell so I can both benefit more and be harmed less. Presumably. Hopefully the Mard can discourage the Seadain from screwing in us, too.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »

The largest and the strongest of the Garooda will force a few others to help them hunt and kill an abomination. Thus setting an example for others.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:07:20 pm by Generally me »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

-Snip-

((I know it is. Still need to take care of that somehow. The latter two work; I actually like both of the options I described, since they do things other than just take care of the Mard covering the spikes(more poisonous against predators or more consistent social interaction), and shouldn't really harm the Mard that much anyhow, allowing you to work on the other evolutions. I actually half-expected/hoped the Mard would latch onto me, since I have a shell so I can both benefit more and be harmed less. Presumably. Hopefully the Mard can discourage the Seadain from screwing in us, too.))

((As of now, I'm leaning towards making the Mard more of a protective layer and less of a fungus coating. That should help you more immediately than inter-species communication, and might discourage the Seadain a bit since I don't think they'll be able to eat through fungus.

Since grooming would increase the amount of close contact going on between colonized and un-colonized individuals, it would probably serve to speed up the Mard's spread as a side affect. Not to say I prefer that over increased poison- either would increase our species' survival rate.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »

Name of Race: Baac-Dreh
Physical Description: Octopus-like, but with an incredibly large and bulbous head.
Unusual Traits: The Baac-Dreh are very psychically active parasites, yet without a host they do not have any long term memory. They latch onto a host and take over its mind with their psionic power. They then leech their host's resources, and rearrange their host's mind, using it as a place to store memories. This allows them to have long-term memory. If a Baac-Dreh is detached from its host, it suffers from complete amnesia, and is effectively "reset". Their host, however, has effectively become the Baac-Dreh, and will probably try to reattach it. Baac-Dreh are social, and travel in groups, which may result in the odd scene of predators peacefully swimming alongside their prey. Many Baac-Dreh leave their host's consciousness intact and have conversations with them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:58:34 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 12:14:43 am »

Hopefully the Mard can discourage the Seadain from screwing in us, too.))
That should help you more immediately than inter-species communication, and might discourage the Seadain a bit since I don't think they'll be able to eat through fungus.

I guess I should be fair and say that they can eat through soft tissues only (yet :3). As it seems currently, the Mard grows first as a soft tissue then into a harder shell like apparatus, the Seadain could eat through it before it hardens.

Begin evolving burrowing teeth in the mouth, thus enabling the Seadain to scrape away at some slightly tougher tissues, as well as more rapidly chew through soft tissues, where before they just used suction power to slowly tear at the tissue. In such manner they can attempt to go after larger prey, who typically have scales or shells.
Also, attempt to inhabit some of the larger creatures that arrived with the Ironside Krill. If necessary, go after a weaker one.

"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11