Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dawn of Evolution II [No Player Limit]  (Read 8602 times)

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Evolution II [No Player Limit]
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 03:07:00 pm »

Inanti: same hunting tactics(let me know if I don't have to keep posting this),evolve the ability to safely consume venomous creatures

I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 08:17:20 pm »

Continue Evolution

Now that the Garooda can venture out of the deeps for a reasonable length of time, start using the massive abominations as a food source. The Garooda will hunt them in pairs for necessity and too stop wounds and injuries from occurring.

How do we gain more EP?

Seadain
As it seemed the Runts and Trapleons were too small to support our life, and with no immediate genetic changes seeming to come about, The next step was a little bigger.... more of a leap.
Observe the Garooda. Note their immobility when consuming prey. While they are immobile, burrow into them and then live inside of them. Each Garooda will not be inhabited by more Seadain than it could support without dying.
You better evolve something to help me or I'm gonna evolve something to kick you out.

We might be useless parasites for now but not forever I promise
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:51 pm »

In current conditions, the Mard is flourishing. The colonies may be few, but as of yet they face little opposition. With hosts becoming ever more suited to their second skins, life is going well enough to make the Mard content.

The colonies continue to harden, and further develop the spores they have begun to emit. Meanwhile, they continue spreading among the Carvicts and Garooda.

((Seeing as the spore-balls have proven useful as a kind of distraction, I think I'll make the Mard emit them as a reflex reaction when they sense signs of stress or fear coming from their hosts. How much would it cost to do that as a separate evolution, after the spores themselves are fully developed?))

((Just to make things clear, the Mard will be paying for its keep.))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 08:49:48 pm »

Carvicts:

The Mard protected them, and the Carvicts kept the Mard. Predators were less able to hunt them. They were not, however, much more able to hunt. An abundance of food made it easy for them to survive at the moment, but as several sudden shortages in some areas of the trench showed, this was not sustainable without that food source. But if the Carvicts were in groups...well, everything was easier with others to share the load. Fighting off predators, sweeping areas for food, hunting...they could even groom each other, to ensure the Mard remained healthy, cutting or scraping away diseased or dead sections, and keeping the fungus away from wounds lest it get the wound infected. Perhaps at some point the Mard would be able to assist with that; it was helpful as it was. But for the moment...

Develop group behavior.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 01:13:29 am »

Well, sacrificial defenses worked for now, but that wouldn't stop the behemoths above.  Something else would be needed, though that something might take a long time to achieve.  Deep beneath the ice, the krill continue to reproduce, sacrifice and evolve.

Some krill clumps remain as they are, whilst others diverge depending on a locally released chemical signal, clumping further and increasing the density of the 'ball'.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 01:16:59 am »

Continue Evolution

Now that the Garooda can venture out of the deeps for a reasonable length of time, start using the massive abominations as a food source. The Garooda will hunt them in pairs for necessity and too stop wounds and injuries from occurring.

How do we gain more EP?

Seadain
As it seemed the Runts and Trapleons were too small to support our life, and with no immediate genetic changes seeming to come about, The next step was a little bigger.... more of a leap.
Observe the Garooda. Note their immobility when consuming prey. While they are immobile, burrow into them and then live inside of them. Each Garooda will not be inhabited by more Seadain than it could support without dying.
You better evolve something to help me or I'm gonna evolve something to kick you out.

Aww.

I was hoping at least one parasite would actually be a parasite. He can try to kick you out, but you're the parasite already. Easier for you to get in than for him to kick you out, and he has other shit he wants to do too. It's not like they can't take it. The Garooda are bloody huge. Probably be no worse than fleas to them, unless you try to carve them out and live inside or something.

That's a really good map. Can you color our territories on it?
Thanks! I used Inkarnate, a free, online and easy to use program for making maps. Sadly enough it doesn't support an option like coloring territories/countries, and with this many players it would be a gigantic mess anyway.
You could put the names of our species in their general centralized population locations.

Like, real small or something.

Also, Whisperling, if the Mard could actually develop smaller scale defenses (like anti-bacterial stuff for injuries or regenerative-assisting spores or something like that for injuries, or anti-parasite spore clouds and irritants and the like for creatures not us/Garooda(I guess...not like the super-massive creatures need much help :P), I think that might be best. I've got shells, the Garooda are gigantic. Second skin toughness ain't really that helpful at this point. :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:35:54 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:00 am »

Double post, ignore
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:36:05 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2015, 02:22:51 am »

Continue Evolution

How do we gain more EP?

Seadain

I was hoping at least one parasite would actually be a parasite. He can try to kick you out, but you're the parasite already. Easier for you to get in than for him to kick you out, and he has other shit he wants to do too. It's not like they can't take it. The Garooda are bloody huge. Probably be no worse than fleas to them, unless you try to carve them out and live inside or something.

Never said we'll be fully useful either :3
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:50 am »

Maybe you could have colonies inside that bring small amounts of food back and give the Garooda some. Then when the Garooda is in danger, they all swarm out and burrow into the enemy.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 09:29:10 am »

Also, Whisperling, if the Mard could actually develop smaller scale defenses (like anti-bacterial stuff for injuries or regenerative-assisting spores or something like that for injuries, or anti-parasite spore clouds and irritants and the like for creatures not us/Garooda(I guess...not like the super-massive creatures need much help :P), I think that might be best. I've got shells, the Garooda are gigantic. Second skin toughness ain't really that helpful at this point. :P

((You're...probably right about that. I saw it as a kind of basic mutation to get started, but on second thought it probably isn't doing all that much.

I think that in the future I'll just write down a list of all the mutations I come up with for the Mard, and just let the hosts' players determine everything's priority. Does that sound good?))

Would ditching the hardness part of my mutation decrease the total cost and let me get the spores done this turn? If that would work, I think I'll go with that instead of further increasing the hardness.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:37 am »

Zanz: Your species slowly but steadily spreads to the northern parts of the eastern and western reefs.
Unspent evolution points: 1

Runt: Your schools have finally grown big enough to protect those that have lost their spines. Their spines are also shot at a higher velocity, making it easier to maim predators. Your territory doesn't expand, but the population gets denser.
Spine Ejection & Larger Schools: 3/3
Unspent evolution points: 0

Seadain: You will gain 1 EP every time I reply to one of your actions. I just noticed I didn't grant you an EP last turn, which means you'll get 2 this turn. The Garooda are a wonderful host for the Seadain, and their protection from pressure differences also protects your species. Your territory now also consist of the edges surrounding the Eden Trench.
Unspent evolution points: 2

Trapleons: Your species keeps doing whatever they did, and expand their territory in the central reefs. Trapleons are now a common occurrence in about 4/6th of the central reefs.
Unspent evolution points: 2

Quitions: Your species has successfully evolved an acidic excretion that dissolves the meat of dead creatures, allowing your species to slurp up a thick, meaty sludge. This sludge also attracts smaller creatures, which are easy prey for the Quitions. Your main predators are the Inanti, since your species mistake their gaping mouths for caverns.
Flesh Dissolving Acid: 2/2

Baac-Dreh: The evolution of a sharp, shell breaking harpoon has been very beneficial to your species. Heading deeper into the caverns has not changed a whole lot, since the shields of the crustacean-like creatures living there is incredibly thick. Your territory has expanded to the entire western reefs.
Shell-Shattering Harpoon: 2/2

Garooda: Your species doesn't feel the difference in pressure anymore, and a thick layer of blubber allows them to stay out of the trench for hours. Your territory has expanded to the edges of the trench.
Pressure and cold resistance: 3/3

Inanti: Posting this is not necessary if you're also going to do something else. If it is the only thing you're going to do however, it might be wise to post this since it will allow you to gain the EP for that turn.  Your species has stopped growing, but is instead becoming more poison-resistant. The density of Inanti populations increase.
Venom Resistance: 1/3

Mard: You stop evolving hardness and start focusing on your spores. This immediately takes effect and your spores work perfectly fine, allowing you to spread to all of the Hydrothermal vents. The recent mutations of the Garooda also allow you to claim the edges of the trench as your territory
Finishing spores: 1/1

Carvicts: Your Carvicts are now commonly seen crawling over the bottom of the Trench in immense groups. The remains of the behemoths slain by the Garooda are a great source of food for these groups, and they rapidly multiply. Population density increases.
Grouping Behaviour: 1/1

Ironside Krill: The increased density of the ball now lures bigger creatures away, allowing more of the Ironside Krill to survive. Population density increased.
Increased ball density: 1/1

This update was made as fast as I could manage, please tell me if I missed something.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:20 am »

Runt: keep eating coral reproducing and stuff, and start hunting creatures weak enough that can be killed with our spines.
Start evolving cold and pressure resistance

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:16 am »

((Here's a list of possible evolutions for the Mard. Just tell me what mutations you want, and their relative priority.))

Spoiler: Evolutions (click to show/hide)

((Obviously, feel free to request some mutation I haven't come up with.))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:22:14 pm by Whisperling »

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2015, 11:39:51 am »

Inanti:continue evolving venom resistance
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2015, 12:07:16 pm »

((What about a camo mutation? To look like rocks, in particular. With the hardening you already have a little bit of, might help somewhat, and both the Garooda and the Carvicts would benefit, since they wanna look like caves, and I wanna look like, well, rocks.))

((I vote for anti-septic/painkiller mutation first, insulation second, spore clouds third, toxins fourth(I should still be able to groom, and the toxins should actually be able to be stored, I hope))

Carvicts: So much food! So many others! This population growth was wonderful; the species grew very well. But with so many in such confined condition...their territory would have to expand. But before that could happen, they needed to ensure they were not killing each other as it was. Those Carvict groups who were more able to get along with the others, who worked togetherm they tended to survive, and push out those who did not thrive as a whole colony. The Mard grew on their backs, and they kept it in good condition, cleaning out those parasites and toxin-killed patches that the Mard could not get rid of itself, cleaning off debris that might harm it or it's host. It was helpful, having it with them. It kept their shells from chafing against each other in the scuttle, for one thing.

Develop Social Behavior
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11