Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Brief and Gruesome Epoch of Squirtglisten  (Read 1205 times)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
The Brief and Gruesome Epoch of Squirtglisten
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:54:28 am »

So I made my first custom param world, in rather unwise ways.

Firstly, it's hot.

Really hot.

Unbearably hot.

Behold, the world.

I would like to note that after a year or two, those years passed reeeeeeeeally fast...

In any case. I decided to make a fort, in one of the Southern, benign biomes.

This was not Squirtglisten. This was Houndcinders.

It was a bit too hot. No one could move, because it was so hot. The wagon couldn't even arrive at the center of the map, and died on the very edge, the instant my emissaries (from an extinct Triggat nation) arrived.

Not a good sign.

It was rather uneventful, but I was not to be demoralized! I retired the fort and tried to find a more suitable, hospitable location.

I managed to find a seemingly normal forest/jungle on the Northern side of the map, which was still Scorching, but it might have been able to sustain life. I decided to have my intrepid triggats create a settlement there.

Things were promising at first. With a flutter of confidence (at the lack of boiling milk upon arrival), I ordered a large number of trees to be murdered in celebration, and a single rope reed planted to test the soil.

Things were looking peachy.

And then the small animals dropped dead of silent blood loss...

And much to my horror, I found that the melting was a slow, yet silent and seemingly painless process taking place...

Yet thus far, the triggats looked unharmed. Nevertheless, I had the miners dig a tunnel down to the caverns as quickly as possible, for perhaps the damp fungi-ridden caves were yet safe from the silent bane of the world.

With this in mind, I had the miners dig a small side room to store all the food and- NO NO NO GOD NO WHY WHAT NO GOD NO THAT'S NOT RIGHT WE'RE IN A NICE AND WILDERNESS ENVIRONMENT THIS ISN'T AN EVIL PLACE WHY GOD WHY I DON'T EVEN HAVE A RAVEN STOCKPILE

The situation immediately became more dire. I ordered the five non-miner triggats to defend the fort from the ravens.

They lost. Mostly.

Oh. That's... I forgot that's what the local government was called. Ahem. Right, then. Carry on, miner.

Well, you're not melting yet, at least. But... MY GOD WHY ARE YOU NAKED

And additionally, why haven't your turban and shoes vanished...?

I disabled storing Lye in the Food Stockpile.

I was way too optimistic, even with two triggats (and a very pale yak) left alive.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

An intense battle ensued, between the two miners, a giant toad in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the two last undead ravens wandering the battlefield.

The toad was grievously injured by the social coordinator herself, but she was cut and wounded lightly by a raven. The raven was successfully struck down.

The other miner managed to bring down the other raven, who had borne the most kills on its... wings? Talons? Beak? Anyhoo. She proceeded to move more food to the stockpile, but the social coordinator crawled into a field and laid there quietly...

And slowly, she began to melt...

And shortly afterward, still active in her duties, clinging onto the last sense of hope... Note: Triggats have pink blood.

And thus

It was inevitable.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Brief and Gruesome Epoch of Squirtglisten
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »

Why was I not surprised.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:01:48 am »

Why was I not surprised.
Because fun is the name of the game.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:46 pm »

It is terrifying.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:30:49 am »

What's a Triggat?

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:24:57 am »

What's a Triggat?

Voiçi~

...By the way, what's a Triggat?...

Triggats are a race I modded into the game. They are very shrewd and paranoid creatures bent on being completely secure and safe (thus choosing highly inhospitable climates to call home, where no one else would dare to live, except for ambitious Armok-led dwarves). They believe in a powerful government, but do not trust anyone, and even go as far as to hide their facial expressions with masks. They also believe in the heretical notion of sciences (as opposed to !!SCIENCE!!).

They are as tall as a dwarf/treehugger/child-rescuer, and they have unique weapons. They also have some unique common clothing items (like masks and turbans being practically mandatory).

They have a unique shield called the Curtain Shield, which is very expensive, and over 33% better at blocking things than the standard shield (as in, regular shield has something like 20 block chance, and curtain shield has 35), but otherwise have no other unique pieces of armor.

Their unique weapons are:
The Hook Hammer, a slightly inferior edged war hammer.*
The Battle Gavel, a slightly superior mace.*
The Inert Pylon, a pike which can be wielded by short races, and comparable in power to the normal pike.*
The Scythe, a very large "axe" which is seemingly superior to the standard axe.*
The Tree Cleaver, a rather large sword which is nonetheless one-handed, for the sake of avoiding certain bugs.
The Pump Gun, a "crossbow" that fires small pump darts, and comes with a bayonet for melee combat, making it a particularly dangerous, but not necessarily overpowered weapon.
The Tanto, a dagger weapon designed solely for stabbing.
And the Baton (my favorite), which is a... blunt sword. It's a blunt sword. I made an edged hammer and a blunt sword. Anyway, it's an amusing weapon, and combined with the curtain shield, the triggats essentially have riot police.

And they have a trap weapon (mostly untested) called the Caltrop. Which is "pointy". And very cheap to manufacture. No word yet on how weak/overpowered/balanced it is.

*According to my arena tests

Other facts are that they use both underground and aboveground crops, can work with steel, are incapable of the mannerisms of laughter and smiling, settle mostly in deserts and tundras, use the same site designs as dwarves, have pink blood, have ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED for the majority of their ethics (including TREASON), have armed guards on their caravans, and their "friendly" color is red, so it looks rather menacing when they are conducting trade deals with your triggat fortress.

Oh, and they are "innately psychic". To a small degree. What this gives them is a special attack called the MINDGRAPPLE... which, in literal application, is like a blunt, quicker-than-normal bite with higher priority. With their eyes. It's not good at all at dealing decisive killing blows, but when targeted at unshielded flesh can lead to some torn arteries.

I think that's mostly everything... I haven't published them or anything because I'm not sure I'm done fiddling with them quite yet. I MIGHT be, but I also might want to add unique crops and such, or unique armor.
Dwarven mercy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:34:09 am »

What world parameter lead to such a hot world?

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 07:09:17 pm »

What world parameter lead to such a hot world?
Well in the advanced parameters, there are Minimum Temperature and Maximum Temperature, which are usually set to 25 and 75, respectively.

Valid values range from -1000 to 1000.

The values used for this world were -250 to 200.
Dwarven mercy.