Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730312 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6765 on: July 30, 2018, 10:59:14 am »

When is this revamp/update scheduled for? It actually makes me want to return to playing.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: July 30, 2018, 11:18:21 am »

When is this revamp/update scheduled for? It actually makes me want to return to playing.

i would guess we are still talking 3+ months out. hard to know.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: July 30, 2018, 11:20:10 am »

I think the increasing numbers for the locked building tiles were related to the planet's development (the infrastructure mentioned, I'd guess) and not a literal cost, but it does mean having to make something of a strategic decision based on priority.

the flat numbers there make me think infrastructure too, and probably something like EU4's Development, which could require some other investment, like Influence. probably tech-related as well, but in any case, strictly limited based on a variety of factors.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: July 30, 2018, 11:33:07 am »

i would guess we are still talking 3+ months out. hard to know.
Nooooo, please be joking ):
This is always a "problem" with Paradox's dev diaries, it's so tempting to wait for the update before starting a new game.  Particularly in this case, because they're addressing a source of such tedium.  Ah well, it'll happen when it happens...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:41 pm »

Supposedly most of the Stellaris dev team was on vacation this month, so it's probably a fair way off yet.  I know there's a 2.1.2 patch planned already, but I'm wondering if some of these changes are going to be later than even 2.2 at this rate, since it seems to be changing some pretty deep parts of the game.

Anyone know what that little scale symbol indicates? Habitability is at the top so it's definitely not that. I'm wondering if it's either to show trade deficit/surplus or if it's some kind of "Justice" level or something. A bit like how Vicky has admin efficiency, which affects the police force, which if low can cause provinces to get temporary negative modifiers due to rampant crime.

Someone on Paradox's forums noted that it also coincided with the happiness of the pop being viewed, so some thing it's related to that.  The devs already confirmed that population happiness won't impact production anymore, so it could be related to unrest or order and this value could be part of that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: July 30, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »

Someone on Paradox's forums noted that it also coincided with the happiness of the pop being viewed, so some thing it's related to that.  The devs already confirmed that population happiness won't impact production anymore, so it could be related to unrest or order and this value could be part of that.

That would be my guess. Without tiles, we have fewer options for how to sequester ethically undesirable pops (or am I the only one who moved all my xenophobes and spiritualists to low-producing tiles?), particularly for egalitarians, so there's probably a minor rework in terms of what happiness and ethics divergence and so forth actually do on a per-planet basis.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: July 30, 2018, 06:19:12 pm »

I'm surprised the Modding community hasn't already done something like this. But I'm equally shocked Paradox hasn't addressed this. Like, Utopia was a step towards it, but it was all internal and again, way too easy. And then they haven't touched diplomacy since. Despite the fact that I've seen it come up every time they release a patch!

Meanwhile Galciv III had an expansion pack all about Intrigue and Governments and interactions between different governments and gave you the ability to create client states and it's really fucking good. I just conquered the Kryyn, they surrendered to the Onyx Hive, and I had too many planets for my republic so I broke off the old Kryyn worlds and made the Kryyn Republic a thing. It was really cool, and immersive, and there were a lot of interesting ways it could have gone - maybe the Kryyn surrender to my other enemies, the Drengin? Maybe they didn't surrender at all and I conquer them world by world, overextending and tanking my morale? Maybe they surrender to someone who isn't on the other side of the galaxy? All this shit matters, and it can happen.

Meanwhile Stellaris allows you little customization of any states you create, doesn't allow the A.I. to spitefully fuck you by surrendering to your ally/frenemy, Governments barely matter at all, and gives the A.I. nations literally no flavor because they're always randomly generated. I like Stellaris, it's pretty and very fun in the early game before the doomstacking begins because it feels adventurous and dangerous poking around where there are big scary space monsters and aliens that might eat you, but once you've met one type of A.I. you've met it a hundred times because shit never changes. The only thing that ever prevents you from befriending everyone you meet is some of the A.I. nations are fanatics who are always at war with everyone, but then they're usually kicked into the dirt. There's no reason to want to be friends with everyone though, because there's no benefit to it. There's no reward for having allies. They don't do anything for you that just conquering their planets wouldn't do. It's purely a RP decision.

The Galciv A.I. isn't really all that smart, it just has personality. The restricted set of races means they can code specifically for that race, and then there's certain situations where the A.I. is programmed to stop looking for the best way to win and start looking for the best way to fuck the player as it loses. The Stellaris A.I. does not and cannot do that. For every nation, in every circumstance, the Stellaris A.I's sole goal is the same 4X paradigm it started with. It never goes out of it's way to screw you or another A.I., it never self-sabotages for petty reasons, it's never honestly petty at all. That's why it feels like Galciv's A.I. is better, because Galciv's A.I. is petty as fuck.

Think I recall a mod that brings in espionage and one by the name of Potent Rebellions that does a bit of that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: July 31, 2018, 01:59:51 am »

I like the current system, but understand that their AI can't handle the tile system well. That prototype has too much info in one screen, honestly get sleepy by looking at it. :D Needs a distinct place where you can focus your eyes at a first glance, and then work from there.

Will also be interesting how the population mechanics works out and how they plan on stabilizing prevalence of different races, if at all. Because, if you have one that has high growth, and limited space, while others are declining, you will get quite homogeneous planets after a while.

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: July 31, 2018, 11:32:07 am »

:eep:

Those little fuckers.  I put in one of the ai mods and by 2215 I was at war with a group of pacifist traders.  They assembled a fleet to match my own 1k in perhaps a year?  They camped on their starbase (which they had erected, presumably to stop me from roflstomping into their backwaters) and waited for me to move off my own starbase.  Tricksys
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6774 on: July 31, 2018, 11:58:44 am »

I did notice a few changes with my recent vanilla "Slaver Sith Save The Galaxy" playthrough, or at least things that I'm sure didn't happen in my previous times with the game:

First, I noticed AIs will now actually trade for food if they are starving. Had a few runs become hilariously easy previously because all of the the AIs ran out of food and couldn't ever get out of the "starvation so lower productivity and unrest so revolts so smaller empires with less food so starvation so" spiral, so that's an interesting stopgap at least.

* Second, Unrest builds up quicker on worlds in the early game. Slaves are far more likely to mobilise or enter into armed rebellion or go on hunger strikes and tank production from that world, so you are dealing with levels of unrest up to you start going down the Harmony tree.

* Third, empires are a lot more Planet Cracker happy. For example, Sol got conquered by the Contingency, so rather than just conquering it and moving on the Militarist Fallen Empire blew up the Earth and carried on moving. I got a few notifications during the game of them cracking nearby empires, but I managed to take the Cracker out early on when I got into a war with them so never experienced them trying it on one of mine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:04:11 pm by MorleyDev »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:27 pm »

I have noticed that every empire (expect perhaps pacifists) takes the colossus perk now.

Also, I have made lots of profits selling food. Because I am kind, I usually end up being the sole supplier of food to all of my conquered vassals.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:11 pm »

I've noticed the AI offering to buy food from me a lot recently, which I'm happy to do since I usually have thousands of it stockpiled.  I can't imagine how the AI would fail to produce enough food on its own since the sector AI, left to its own devices, will generally produce like +50 extra food per planet... at least if you tell it to respect tile resources.  I'm guessing the full empire AI tries to be clever and focus on whatever it's running short on instead of strictly matching tile bonuses, but still.

This speaking of food reminds me that I took care of my marauder empire problem.  After they extorted literally my entire food stockpile from me early on, I swore revenge.  After building up a 20K fleet of battleships, I flew into their systems and started systematically destroying their fleets, which was trivial.  Now, the problem I ran into is that their space habitats are also armed, so my ships immediately got into battle with them and destroyed them too.  Oops, I committed accidental genocide.  Well, I felt bad at first, but then remembered they've been doing this to everyone nearby for a hundred years, so I committed accidental genocide in two more systems until they were completely gone.

I got an announcement from one of them threatening to burn my homes for destroying theirs, and the announcement warned that there was a fleet appearing out of hyperspace in one of my central systems without defenses, but nothing ever actually showed up there.  Not sure if it was a bug or if it needed an actual fleet from them to still exist.

And it looks like I'm going to have to pay the little snail men a similar visit since they keep threatening me (and losing ships) or being bought by my rivals to raid me (and losing their ships).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: July 31, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »

I had a regular empire offer to trade something like 800 minerals and energy in exchange for me giving them around 600 food recently.  This was not long after they sent me an insult, so I was tempted to tell them no, but I needed the energy.

Speaking of which, I'm increasingly convinced that the AI knows how much you have of each resource.  Maybe that's a well known fact?  I've gotten a lot of convenient trade deals recently when I was about to run out of something, such as offers to trade 1,000 energy for a research agreement, right as I was about to hit 0 during an energy deficit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: July 31, 2018, 12:53:52 pm »

I can figure out how much stuff a relatively friendly NPC empire has, because I go to "demand" and ask for more and more until they suddenly have -1000 for the offer. That means they literally do not have that much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: July 31, 2018, 12:58:10 pm »

In regards to the AI asking for food, what's happening is (as usual) the AI doesn't know how to build enough farms somehow. I actually have no clue how this still remains an issue with the AI considering how easy it is to get food and the fact that your own sectors spam it so much.

So as its population starves (which, by the way, is the only reason an AI empire will ever fragment), it has to look for external sources. So it sees you have tonnes of food, as you should. When you give it food for all of its money, this causes it to ignore the food problem even more, causing it to need even more food which makes it ask for more, etc. etc. It will never actually build more farms.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 632