Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1729599 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6405 on: May 13, 2018, 10:30:23 pm »

I have best tech (+fallen empire, but no late-tech multipliers) torpedo boats, where 150 of them gives me 100k. I have a vague recollection that refitting them to comparable tier guns would halve their power.
Is this normal? Are missiles so overpowered? I've certainly been rolling over admiral-difficulty AI with zero sweat.

Not sure about missiles, but torpedoes are amazing and yeah, probably OP.

Torpedo corvette monofleet (autocannon in the s slot) is probably the strongest + most cost effective fleet right now simply because it mounts the most torpedoes per fleet point. It helps that they are also the fastest fleet too so they can catch (or escape) anything.

Energy torpedoes are pretty good too - neutron launcher battleships would probably be comparable to corvette monofleets if they were not so damn slow.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: May 14, 2018, 01:35:21 am »

I can tell you that the AI starts spamming PD once avaiable if you use lots of torpedos. I've felt a huge decrease in my fleet's effectiveness.

They did crush everything in early and mid game though

Also: I did have defensive ststions. Several citadels even. But its good to keep chaff away, not doomstacks. And even two doomstacks xan ruin me

I've pretty much decided the anacreon sector is lost. I'm tearing down the space bases there to fortify my core empire further, and falling back to Barnard's star chokepoint while I rebuild my navy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:39:19 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: May 14, 2018, 06:57:20 am »

I can tell you that the AI starts spamming PD once avaiable if you use lots of torpedos. I've felt a huge decrease in my fleet's effectiveness.

Also: I did have defensive ststions. Several citadels even. But its good to keep chaff away, not doomstacks. And even two doomstacks xan ruin me

I've pretty much decided the anacreon sector is lost. I'm tearing down the space bases there to fortify my core empire further, and falling back to Barnard's star chokepoint while I rebuild my navy

If you have the resources, build a gateway from one frontline to the other. That way you can bring your fleets to bear much more rapidly, giving you a major edge against opportunists!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05:10 am »

I don´t think I have the technology :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:59 am »

PD is not that good against torpedoes in 2.0

First because torpedo health got buffed. Assuming 100% hitrate, it takes a guardian PD (0.62 dps) almost one minute(!) to kill a devastator torpedo (30 hp). Obviously they won't be firing 1:1, but you can see that you need a lot of PD to counter even a modest amount of torpedoes. It's even worse for the PD too because it's not 100% accurate, it actually only has 75% accuracy so real dps is more like 0.47.

Second, because corvette torpedoes (after the first volley) are fired from point-blank range the PD has almost zero time to fire making it even less effective.

So if the AI is spamming PD, that's actually good for you even if you are relying heavily on torpedoes.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: May 14, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »

Can PD destroy proton and neutron launcher projectiles?  I was reading the aftermath of one battle against the Contingency and it said that their fleet had 24 PD target kills, and I'm not using any conventional missiles or torpedoes.

Or can PD damage and destroy ships too?  The Contingency's weapons are so powerful I'm willing to believe their PD is capable of destroying my corvettes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: May 14, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »

Or can PD damage and destroy ships too?  The Contingency's weapons are so powerful I'm willing to believe their PD is capable of destroying my corvettes.
Pretty sure they can attack ships, but they deal very little damage compared to everything else.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:32 pm »

Pretty sure they can attack ships, but they deal very little damage compared to everything else.
Yeah, usually something dumb like 14 damage. Basically PD is worthless right now. I wouldn't even bother.

Some of the mods have absurd PD but in vanilla they're trash.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: May 14, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »

PD is not that good against torpedoes in 2.0

First because torpedo health got buffed. Assuming 100% hitrate, it takes a guardian PD (0.62 dps) almost one minute(!) to kill a devastator torpedo (30 hp). Obviously they won't be firing 1:1, but you can see that you need a lot of PD to counter even a modest amount of torpedoes. It's even worse for the PD too because it's not 100% accurate, it actually only has 75% accuracy so real dps is more like 0.47.

Second, because corvette torpedoes (after the first volley) are fired from point-blank range the PD has almost zero time to fire making it even less effective.

So if the AI is spamming PD, that's actually good for you even if you are relying heavily on torpedoes.

Shit.

This actually saved the day.

I couldnt afford to replace my capital ships so I dropped their numbers and started spamming torpedo frigates.

They utterly crushed the opposition's mainly capital ships fleets.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: May 15, 2018, 02:25:01 am »

> Second, because corvette torpedoes (after the first volley) are fired from point-blank range the PD has almost zero time to fire making it even less effective.

dammit they only had to make crusader king in space, they're instead spinning around and around, with corvette spam still the strongest option, governor still unable to govern, features butchered because they couldn't implement them properly (like, most other space game can handle warp just fine), annoying game limit as influence..

this game looks so cool but plays so meh

I keep getting back to the thread to see if the situation improves but I just dumped money in the drain

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: May 15, 2018, 09:11:37 am »

The most fun I've had with Stellaris was designing a bunch of races and empires and writing up little backstories for them. It's a shame that paradox can't figure out how to test for game breaking bugs or whether features are actually more fun before they go ahead with releasing updates and dlc.

It would have been nice to have had actual characters as advisors, running each system, running each colony, etc, all doing stuff and able to be interacted with like in ck2. Instead we got a war weariness system, which, from what I have heard multiple people say, sometimes will never reach 100 even when you have completely dominated the enemy. (I have only personally played an hour or two since 2.0, and lately have been playing star ruler 2 again instead. It has its own flaws, but it isn't buggy as hell or breaking every few months, so)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:13:52 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: May 15, 2018, 10:33:42 am »

Personally I'm fine with Stellaris because the devs still seem to be working on these issues and trying to fix them and improve on the game. Of course that can easily change if a few major patches pass and no obvious work is done but for now I'm content to wait.

Mostly content. My biggest gripe is still that the game feels too bland and that many of the choices feel unimportant or boring. AI empires still feel mostly like they need one of the special civics to be interesting or noticable and many pop traits just make me shrug in indifference. I guess that this might be a good thing with Stellaris's balance issues but I still can't play more than two games in a row before going 'been there, done that' and moving onto something else for a couple of months.

I can handle a medicore game. Not so much an uninteresting one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:43 am »

The most fun I've had with Stellaris was designing a bunch of races and empires and writing up little backstories for them. It's a shame that paradox can't figure out how to test for game breaking bugs or whether features are actually more fun before they go ahead with releasing updates and dlc.

yes that part is on point! I've pages of races, from science obsessed kerbals (which you can basically do 90% without mods) to your standard space xenofobic imperials to terran federations and more exploring all the weird ethics and stuff including hyper aggressive weaklings lizards that basically bluff their way around with diplomacy.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: May 20, 2018, 07:06:49 pm »

well well well

look who was right all along

typical wiz, taking all my ideas 6 months after i post them (kidding)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:10:05 pm by ZeroGravitas »
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 632