Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1729455 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6330 on: April 23, 2018, 10:02:51 am »

I'm looking forward to it, if only because it will give more stuff for modders to work with.

---------

I'm playing a modded game where every single faction is some kind of human. There's 13 of them. Sadly while the game can track the same species for a race for like 2 - 3 factions for some reason it can't track it for 13 so it splits it into different species even if they're the same, but 2 - 3 will be considered the same species.

Anyway, I set it so their ethics are all about the unrest and deviation. What happens is that every faction constantly has rebellions and changes their ethos nonstop. Thus it becomes a game of CK2 in space.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: April 23, 2018, 11:05:32 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: April 23, 2018, 11:09:41 am »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:16 am »

wow. haven't even finished fixing the last dlc, announced the next one already
They fixed the last dlc, it's just that they fucked things up in the more recent patches which is just plain embarassing at this point.

tomato tomato

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:17 pm »

Ten bucks to paint a dragon pink...

I mean, they could have more, but this is how they chose to debut the DLC. And they called it Story Pack, which apparently is there term for something that doesn't actually alter mechanics but just does events and stuff - which is good, I guess, because it means their mechanics team can maybe work on actually fixing the game meanwhile.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:54 pm »

their mechanics team can maybe work on actually fixing the game meanwhile.
Do ho ho ho
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: April 23, 2018, 12:31:42 pm »

Behind Closed Doors: Discover hidden traces of an ancient gateway network unlocking a sealed path to a constellation outside our own galaxy. But is this door holding something out, or keeping something in?

Obviously that space-door is keeping me in here and also keeping me out of there. You can't trick me with your semantics, now fire up the world smashers. We shall greet the neighbors.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:44:36 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: April 23, 2018, 03:32:15 pm »

I'm looking forward to it, if only because it will give more stuff for modders to work with.

---------

I'm playing a modded game where every single faction is some kind of human. There's 13 of them. Sadly while the game can track the same species for a race for like 2 - 3 factions for some reason it can't track it for 13 so it splits it into different species even if they're the same, but 2 - 3 will be considered the same species.

Anyway, I set it so their ethics are all about the unrest and deviation. What happens is that every faction constantly has rebellions and changes their ethos nonstop. Thus it becomes a game of CK2 in space.

I did this too, although I did it with Fermi Paradox and let myself explode organically, and I didn't have that problem. Did the game start with all those factions separate?

Anyway I almost wish it had happened in my game. Space racism would've really greased some wheels to keep the galaxy interesting. As-is they rebelled but always ended up drifting to fanatic egalitarian / pacifist, having peaceful relations with everyone forever, and finally federating. Still a good story I guess, but not the one I was expecting, and probably not as fun to play through either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: April 23, 2018, 03:43:48 pm »

From the video description:
Behind Closed Doors: Discover hidden traces of an ancient gateway network unlocking a sealed path to a constellation outside our own galaxy. But is this door holding something out, or keeping something in?

Sensors are Picking up… That Can’t be Right: Encounter dozens of new anomalies and events for your intrepid scientists to observe and analyze, and a galaxy of wonders for them to discover.

Brave New Worlds: Plot unexplored unique solar systems, each with their own story to tell. Gain technology, resources, and valuable worlds to colonize.

There’s Always a Bigger Fish: Come face to face with a number of unique gargantuan creatures that exist and thrive in the vacuum of space. But approach with caution, because whether gentle giants or something more sinister, these legendary behemoths have existed long before you and will do what it takes to survive long after.

I'm moderately excited for the story pack. Stuff like the hidden constellation and unique solar systems are pretty cool already, but I've always felt that the game desperately needed more anomalies. Especially now that with the latest devlog they've said that anomalies are no longer going to be repeatable.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6339 on: April 23, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »

The people who generate content aren't the same people who fix bugs? Unless you expect writers and artists to go coding. Story packs rarely require new mechanics, they're mostly new events and art assets.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: April 23, 2018, 04:10:58 pm »

The people who generate content aren't the same people who fix bugs? Unless you expect writers and artists to go coding. Story packs rarely require new mechanics, they're mostly new events and art assets.

Agreed. It makes a lot of sense to do a story pack expansion after a major mechanic change expansion for this exact reason. Give the coders time to work on bugs while still having the rest of the teams work on a project.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: April 23, 2018, 05:54:15 pm »

artists sure, but the story pack is being accompanied by a complete rewrite of anomalies as a mechanic, so it's not as clear cut for the guys who do nothing but write events and scripts.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: April 23, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »

Isn't updating anomalies part of generating/tweaking mechanics to make the game more enjoyable to play?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: April 23, 2018, 06:12:07 pm »

Is it reworking how anomalies work? I just got the impression they're adding in a bunch of new anomalies to the existing ones so that it's not the same set of stuff.

I'm not sure on exactly how anomaly stuff is coded in Stellaris, but in most games this sort of thing is done using scripting. So you'd have a team that does content generation that includes people who know how to script things but aren't full-on programmers. This sort of thing is quite common in games that have level designers, for example. The level design team is very different from the game engine team.

Granted, Stellaris could work quite differently as a company than the Game company I worked at or the ones I've had friends work for. But that division of labor is at least very common.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 632