Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730673 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6120 on: March 14, 2018, 09:42:41 am »

Don't need a delay in Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, Master of Orion, Star Wars Empire at War, Distant Worlds, Galciv 2, etc etc etc

This is just Stellaris's usual imbecillic balancing decisions. "Hurr game must be balanced... We multiplayer eSports now".

It's not like the AI even gives a shit when you're priming and firing the weapon. It's not like they will plan a desperate response or rally the worlds to save their planet. You just sit there for an obnoxious amount of time.

If an ICBM took 12 months to reach a target, nobody would ever use it. The Death Star isn't awesome because it takes years to charge. A superweapon should be fearsome because it's a superweapon, it doesn't need to be fucking balanced.

The whole point of the weapon in the game is to end the fucking game. They have no problem with a psychic event on the game wiping out the entire Galaxy but oh no... Gotta balance mah planet destroyers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: March 14, 2018, 10:01:54 am »

I have found the neutron wiper or whatever it is called handy against the Invading Swarm crisis. I can leave this one ship over a planet to cleanse it while my fleet fights off the swarm.

Other than that...yeah, not too sure what use it has. Maybe good against hiveminds, since you can clean off the pops rather than waiting for them to die off after you colonize it? Though that doesn't save you much time unless you have a colony ship ready to go once the planet is clear.

Overall...I'm underwhelmed. I'd rather they balance it by having it have a cooldown in between when it can be fired rather than having it take years to actually fire. Make it more strategic on when to use the superweapon.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6122 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:09 pm »

Assimilators get the Nanobot Diffuser one. I assume it makes the planet immediately become yours, which seems like the best one by far. I just started an assimilator game and I intend to try it out.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: March 14, 2018, 03:29:35 pm »

Planet crackers are also useful if you want to put a ringworld in a particular system with a habitable world, since you can't build a ringworld in a system with habitable worlds for some reason (probably to deal with situations where you subsequently put a colony on the world before completing the ringworld, removing all planets in the system).  It's a bit of a fringe case, but it does exist. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:31:14 pm by Culise »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: March 14, 2018, 04:02:37 pm »

Don't need a delay in Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, Master of Orion, Star Wars Empire at War, Distant Worlds, Galciv 2, etc etc etc

This is just Stellaris's usual imbecillic balancing decisions. "Hurr game must be balanced... We multiplayer eSports now".

It's not like the AI even gives a shit when you're priming and firing the weapon. It's not like they will plan a desperate response or rally the worlds to save their planet. You just sit there for an obnoxious amount of time.

The AI might not, but a player would (and hell, who's to say the AI won't in the future?).  This isn't a single player only game, after all, and if they had made the thing instant, can you imagine the bitching that would have resulted?

And of course the game needs to be balanced.  Not due to the multiplayer esports, but for the simple fact of reducing RNG screwing you completely.

They have no problem with a psychic event on the game wiping out the entire Galaxy but oh no... Gotta balance mah planet destroyers.

If you are referring ot the End of the Cycle, that can be fought off as long as you aren't the one to trigger it.  It is of course quite difficult, but it can happen.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: March 14, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »

Only players can trigger the End of the Cycle, and only in single-player.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: March 14, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »

I wrote another large rant then I realized I was getting too worked up over this stupid-ass game I decided not too care too much about.

So meh. Whatever. Another stupid decision in Paradox's increasingly large bucket of stupid decisions.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: March 15, 2018, 12:34:44 am »

I tried out the 2.0 Stellaris, and so far I'm liking it... despite the fact that one poor choice has bit me in the rear.

You see, early on, I saw an unidentified research vessel and decided I'd blow it up, slowing down whoever that was for a bit. Turns out they were an neighbor with the perfect ethos to turn into an ally... but I couldn't because of my thoughtless actions. I shrugged it off and went on with things.

A few decades later, someone hires the raiders to come at me, forcing me to run around with a 2.1k fleet avoiding a 5.1k fleet while trying to lure them to a Starhold. Mere days after that, the guys I'd messed with before first contact- remember them- declared war on me, answering who had hired them.

Their fleets were about equal to mine. The ONLY advantage I have is that I have researched Starholds and they do not, plus I have researched up to cruisers and they haven't. In my own home systems, just against them, I'd be able to hold them off easily. With this raider fleet thrown in... if I lose, I'll accept it as karma biting me for my cruelty.

This sort of thing is why I play Stellaris. It isn't perfect- arguably it isn't finished- but it manages to be frickin' amazing anyways.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: March 15, 2018, 10:19:43 am »

Forced Status Quo with War Exhaustion is here to stay.

Given some of the horror stories I've seen/heard with the beta, I'm on board with this change. War Exhaustion needs a lot of tweaking still but at least Paradox is working on it.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: March 15, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

yeah i think the problem with it is that it's instant, with little/no feedback to the player. making it start a 24-month timer is more reasonable.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:50 am »

So... Worst of both worlds basically.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6131 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:56 am »

So... Worst of both worlds basically.
Stellaris design philosophy in a nutshell

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:22 am »

I'll reserve judgement until I see it in action. Seems like a reasonable compromise between the two systems so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:59 am »

Forced Status Quo with War Exhaustion is here to stay.

Given some of the horror stories I've seen/heard with the beta, I'm on board with this change. War Exhaustion needs a lot of tweaking still but at least Paradox is working on it.

Haven't been paying too much attention to the paradox forums.  Care to give some examples?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:19 am »

The beta made it so that 100% WE gives you penalties instead of forcing a Status Quo Peace. The problem is that there was no real good middle ground for the penalties. Either everybody ignored them because they were too light, or they were so heavy that anyone suffering from them would be crippled. Which is really fun when you're at 100% WE and your enemies don't want to accept peace before they steamroll you. Or when other empires jump in against you because you can't fight back at 100% WE and so just get taken apart.

Basically they couldn't find a good middle ground for the penalties at 100% WE. Knowing how a lot of people play Stellaris, and other Paradox games, I doubt it exists too. Either people are going to ignore the short-term penalties for long-term gains or get stuck in frustrating situations where they want to make peace but can't do so without losing most of their empire.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 632