Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730114 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5775 on: January 26, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »

I’m warming up to that change, personally.
Just having smaller fleets being more viable against larger ones to the point of no longer being “literal suicide charge” and making the game less about having a bigger doomstack seems like it could really help.

I still wish they could have found a less... gamey way to accomplish if, but the disparity bonus seems like it’ll be a net boon to the game.
The force disparity change is just one alteration. There are now maximum fleet sizes which means you have to make multiple fleets and more than a single admiral. There are ship disengagements on critical damage now, where ships will sometimes disengage from combat rather than be destroyed meaning it won't always come down to one all-or-nothing battle and ships will be able to limp away for repair more often. There is war weariness that mounts on losses, which could cause a larger aggressor to halt a war due to the civil and economic penalties before he has achieved total victory. A lot of alteration is going into the 2.0 update to counteract the doomstack problem and some other problems.
Is it solely a rate-of-fire boost? Why not just an accuracy boost, if meant to represent a target-rich environment?

I'm highly interested in anything that moves us on from the current doomstack situation.
Either one would accomplish the same thing. More bullets or more accurate bullets both result in more damage done. Some weapons in stellaris are perfectly accurate though, so you can't boost their accuracy beyond 100% thus more rate of fire is the answer.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: January 26, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »

That's logical if you want to just increase the effectiveness of small fleets vs large, but not if you want to simulate a target-rich environment.

I'm still in favor of that change, though. I wonder if say, two people have 100k fleets, and one guy breaks his up into 10x 10k fleets, would it be a significant bonus?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: January 26, 2018, 02:13:34 pm »

Is it solely a rate-of-fire boost? Why not just an accuracy boost, if meant to represent a target-rich environment?

I'm highly interested in anything that moves us on from the current doomstack situation.

oh my god this topic was done to death pages ago

1. it's just rate of fire, because ROF scales up no matter what while accuracy doesn't (once you hit all your shots, more accuracy doesn't do anything)
2. it doesn't affect doomstacks at all, because the bonus isn't going to ever mean your doomstack will lose a fight it would otherwise win. and it relates to the total combat size on both sides of a battle, not the size of any particular stack.
3. the point of the change is that it will... somehow... make wars of attrition slightly more viable, where relative productive capacity will matter more because the larger side will take slightly more casualties, so it will arguably be more viable to fight lots of short battles where you retreat after inflicting casualties but before your smaller is completely destroyed.

personally i think it is a bunch of bullshit that will have no real effect on the game, but we'll see what happens. too much is changing to predict anything at this point.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: January 26, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »

That's logical if you want to just increase the effectiveness of small fleets vs large, but not if you want to simulate a target-rich environment.

stellaris isn't trying to simulate anything. it's just a space opera war game with hand-waving where necessary for the sake of "balance."

I'm still in favor of that change, though. I wonder if say, two people have 100k fleets, and one guy breaks his up into 10x 10k fleets, would it be a significant bonus?

there would be 0 bonus because it works based on total ships engaged. nothing to do with individual fleet sizes at all.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: January 26, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »

Bah, that's my least favorite change of the lot. I think it's a change to fire-rate so they didn't have to do anything janky with battles containing more than 2 empires, but I think the actual number of fleets engaged is inconsequential.

I'd have greatly preferred that small fleets gained advantages in jump time and somesuch to encourage raiding, rather than a bonus to fire-rate so that they can inflict (slightly) added casualties against real fleets.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: January 26, 2018, 02:18:33 pm »

I'd have greatly preferred that small fleets gained advantages in jump time and somesuch to encourage raiding,

i'm pretty sure they also did this

although static defenses will also block this now, because you have to actually transit each system in real space. if you want to get from A to B to C, you start at the hyperlane gate that goes A-B, then you have to physically cross B to get to the B-C gate. no more just popping into B and not moving while your FTL drive recharges.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: January 26, 2018, 02:22:33 pm »

All the other changes to try to reduce the current prevalence of the fact that wars are mostly decided in a single battle where the slightly superior force gets an absolutely crushing victory sound fine. I'm super not a fan of just the flat bonus upgrade. It feels like it could have achieved in much more other interesting ways, and indeed they are trying to achieve it in other ways. Such a bandaid situation is boring and silly.

oh my god this topic was done to death pages ago

If you hate talking about stellaris so much, one wonders why you keep coming back to the one thread out of thousands on bay12 dedicated to talking about stellaris.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5782 on: January 26, 2018, 02:30:47 pm »

It uses total fleet power, so there would be no change based on number of fleets. The bonus recalculates over time too, so if you get reinforcements to bring you to parity then you lose that bonus.

As I said, certainly it would be logical to improve accuracy but some weapons like arc emitters wouldn't get a benefit from +acc because they're already perfectly accurate. They could have just done a raw damage boost or a rate of fire boost, any of those accomplish what they wanted which was to simulate just a bit more damage being put out from the underdog. The bonus is still very minor.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: January 26, 2018, 02:31:55 pm »

If you hate talking about stellaris so much, one wonders why you keep coming back to the one thread out of thousands on bay12 dedicated to talking about stellaris.

hate talking about stellaris? what are you talking about

i'm just saying the same discussion already happened, and the same misconceptions keep coming up

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5784 on: January 26, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »

hate talking about stellaris? what are you talking about

i'm just saying the same discussion already happened, and the same misconceptions keep coming up
Not everyone reads every page. Be patient and correct them when they come up.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: January 26, 2018, 02:53:01 pm »

Or ignore them, that's also perfectly acceptable. Acting exasperated that people would dare to talk about things that you've already talked about, or that you're not interested in, that's just being a dick. This is the Stellaris thread, not the "Things ZeroGravitas wants to talk about in Stellaris" thread.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: January 26, 2018, 03:51:22 pm »

I think there's a mod kicking around somewhere which implements supply lines for fleets, which if implemented fleshed out in an actual update would be a much more interesting way to challenge the authority of a doomstack - wolfpack their supply ships and they get debuffs for "everyone is starving and there are no spare parts left"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: January 26, 2018, 10:34:06 pm »

I think there's a mod kicking around somewhere which implements supply lines for fleets, which if implemented fleshed out in an actual update would be a much more interesting way to challenge the authority of a doomstack - wolfpack their supply ships and they get debuffs for "everyone is starving and there are no spare parts left"
Break the supply line and ships fight weaker and weaker, and at a certain point either emergency warp away and become pirates or just go derelict as food runs out completely and the crews starve/run out of batteries.

Yeah, that'd be interesting. Might not stop the doomstack from just slowly domming each planet individually with a corps of landing soldiers, but...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:07 pm »

Supply lines would really, really help mitigate doomstacks. You'd end up having to split your fleet up into assaulting fleets and those protecting supply lines as well. It might open up space for more tactics as well - having a fast fleet that you could deploy to tackle supply ships whilst having another tanking force distracting the main enemy fleet.

I fall in and out of enjoying Stellaris, but having something like that could make it an interesting interstellar war simulator, if a bit bland as a 4x.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: January 27, 2018, 06:46:08 pm »

I've seen those, the biggest one i saw implements a slight damage-over-time effect for fleets as well as a debuff. Simulates a lack of materials for repair and difficulty supplying fleets far from home.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 632