Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1727023 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2015, 12:57:30 pm »

>Commonwealth Of Man
Yes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2015, 01:00:10 pm »

You can set how many you want; fully configurable. They probably did 4 just to start with something simple.

With no upper limit? Can every star start as an OPM?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

Why? There doesn't seem to be much more stars than there is provinces in CK2.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2015, 01:13:15 pm »

Why? There doesn't seem to be much more stars than there is provinces in CK2.

Civs in this game are probably a little more complicated/resource intensive than those of CK2... so I can see having 1200 independents might cause lag. But if the game can't handle at least 100, I'm going to be disappointed.

(Well, sort of. Disappointed in the sense that "Paradox space game" makes me think CK2 in space, and this wouldn't be that.)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »

shameless ptw

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »

I'm really hoping that Stellaris manages to be similar to CK and the like where you can't realistically take over the entire galaxy. 

What? Of course you can realistically take over the entire map in CK2.

Well it's pretty difficult if you start off as a small count or duke. I'm sure it's been done, but it wouldn't be standard play.

That's what I'd like to see really, a take on a space 4x without it all being about complete domination
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

It's not hard, it's just boring as hell because it means spending a couple of centuries Holy Warring vastly inferior foes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »

I'm really hoping that Stellaris manages to be similar to CK and the like where you can't realistically take over the entire galaxy. 

What? Of course you can realistically take over the entire map in CK2.

Well it's pretty difficult if you start off as a small count or duke. I'm sure it's been done, but it wouldn't be standard play.

That's what I'd like to see really, a take on a space 4x without it all being about complete domination
You should try Distant Worlds. Complete galactic domination is extremely time-consuming, if not difficult or impossible. And depending on your government type and race, conquering the universe might even be counter-productive.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2015, 02:22:37 pm »

You should try Distant Worlds. Complete galactic domination is extremely time-consuming, if not difficult or impossible. And depending on your government type and race, conquering the universe might even be counter-productive.

I'm a big fan of distant worlds and often do go down that route. The only thing is that it's still all about domination (whether it be trade, resources or whatever the goal is) and, unless you play with all peaceful races you definitely need to expand/build up enough so that you don't get absolutely destroyed by whatever warmongering race or event comes along. So it always to me ends up with a similar play style of aggressive expansion.

I'd just like a deeper space 4x really, with a lot more diplomacy and intrigue rather than constantly building the biggest warship possible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:00 pm »

It's not hard, it's just boring as hell because it means spending a couple of centuries Holy Warring vastly inferior foes.

Or play OPviking religion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2015, 03:43:38 pm »

Or play OPviking religion.
Actually, the strongest religion in CK2 in purely mechanical terms is Reformed Tengri. ... Now I'll have to do Space Mongols when this game is out.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »

I've got a huge Distant Worlds vibe from the website.

By Paradox Interactive in space...  it means Europa Universalis in space?  Cause it sure as hell doesn't look like CK2 in space...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2015, 02:15:10 am »

Wasting to space.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2015, 03:39:03 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/#more-306161

Alright, this article may or may not be a better explanation of wtf Stellaris is about.  Sounds like it may have CK2 elements, among other things that sound cool... uplifting, randomly generated.  Yup.  +1 Interest
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2015, 06:33:58 pm »

It sounds nice, though what the articles explain about changing the gameplay mid and late game makes me dubious. It's just that early and mid are different, and end game, as he explains, feels like nothing more than a few random events. The fact that it's based on the Klausewitz also makes me skeptic about anything new in 4X / strategy genre. Though, it could become one of the leading IP of Paradox (it has potential, and even if it has shortcomings, it can be as good/better as CK2/EU4 combined).

And why every game in space has ship design  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 632