Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1729600 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6435 on: May 21, 2018, 10:19:22 am »

Contingency is way harder than any of the other crisises.

What if the Swarm arrive on the other side of the galaxy and land face first on a cluster of poorly defended planets, eating tonnes of them and therefore getting firmly entrenched before you have a chance to do anything?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: May 21, 2018, 10:21:37 am »

I still hold Prethoryn as the be-all-end-all of shagnasty crisis threats. However, that could because mods still screw with their balance a wee bit.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:13 am »

I still hold Prethoryn as the be-all-end-all of shagnasty crisis threats. However, that could because mods still screw with their balance a wee bit.
Of the crises, Prethoryn are actually the easiest of them, even if allowed to grow rampant.

The old AI rebellion used to be the easiest, but it's no longer a crisis.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: May 21, 2018, 11:00:08 am »

Of the crises, Prethoryn are actually the easiest of them, even if allowed to grow rampant.

Unless the unbidden got a massive buff, I have difficulty believing that. Unbidden can be wiped clean without a great deal of effort, but I've never had a run against the Prethoryn with any outcome better than half the galaxy getting eaten before the tide was turned, and I've flatly lost most runs against them.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:25 am »

My last run we didn't have too much difficulty. They took maybe 20-25% of the map before being contained and eventually we wiped them out except the odd feral cluster.

No mods, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: May 21, 2018, 11:57:55 am »

Contingency is way harder than any of the other crisises.

What if the Swarm arrive on the other side of the galaxy and land face first on a cluster of poorly defended planets, eating tonnes of them and therefore getting firmly entrenched before you have a chance to do anything?
Yeah, but that's also kinda how the Contingency just works by default.

But though I say the Contingency is the hardest, it's still not particularly difficult. It was way harder back when the command limits were super tiny and the Contingency was like "lol, the rules don't apply to us" but now it's like... meh.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: May 21, 2018, 02:22:43 pm »

Unless the unbidden got a massive buff, I have difficulty believing that. Unbidden can be wiped clean without a great deal of effort, but I've never had a run against the Prethoryn with any outcome better than half the galaxy getting eaten before the tide was turned, and I've flatly lost most runs against them.
Are you running any mods? Because unless you imediately bum-rush the portals, the Unbidden can and will spiral out of control faster and harder than the Scourge.

But regardless of all that, at least now we have a slider to control crisis strength.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: May 21, 2018, 02:28:23 pm »

Speaking of crisis strength, I don't know how you could beat anything past 1.5-2x Contingency.  It took more than my naval capacity (about 350 at the time) with 5+ levels of repeatables just to take on Contingency fleets without taking massive losses.  By the end of the game I had almost 10 levels of repeatables and about 450 naval capacity, which let me take on 200K defense fleets fine, but it took a very long time to get to that point.  If the wandering fleets were in the 150K range I don't think it would have been possible for me to amass fleets to hold their fleets back early on.

Maybe a militarist empire with lots of vassals with fleet levies could have managed it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: May 21, 2018, 04:41:02 pm »

The problem with victory conditions that are just based on how big you are or how much tech you have is that such a "victory" has very little to do with what's supposed to be happening in-universe. Time doesn't stop when you take over 80% of the galaxy. There's no real reason for the game to stop there. Things will keep happening in the galaxy, your empire might still fall. It is a victory no more absolute or permanent than creating your first colony.

Personally what I think they should do in terms of game ending conditions is to actually play out the "cycle" implied by the existence of fallen empires. You win if you survive the "end times" or whatever happens as an intact fallen empire. Then you could start a new game+ sort of thing as the fallen remnants of your former empire.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »

Personally what I think they should do in terms of game ending conditions is to actually play out the "cycle" implied by the existence of fallen empires. You win if you survive the "end times" or whatever happens as an intact fallen empire. Then you could start a new game+ sort of thing as the fallen remnants of your former empire.

Good idea, would be a natural solution. Kind of reminds me of how the game Towns handled ruins. Some layers beneath the ground, what's left of the decayed creations of other players could be uncovered.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: May 21, 2018, 06:34:10 pm »

I'd rather start as a new empire and have your old empire be a fallen empire
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:04 pm »

Anyone up for a multiplayer game of Stellaris?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:59 am »

Stellaris sale on GMG.

Distant Stars has a 20% voucher with code STARS20.

I managed to buy it minutes before the discount was announced (had another one time voucher of 5%), very annoying :P

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:54 am »

Fanatical also has it for 20% off, I have had good dealings with them in the past (a no-fuss pre-order refund).

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:31 am »

Going to be starting a multi-player game in about five and a half hours for collective exploration of the new DLC.  Anyone here interested in me posting the game details here, then?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 632