Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Crux Ultimum - The Inquisition Wants YOU! (Turn 10, page 9)  (Read 16654 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 2, page 3)
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 01:04:30 am »

Note: The description of the doctor's office starts with Spiderking's roll, so you may just want to read the whole update in case you don't do that already.

Enter the doctors office and look for supplies.

[4] You open the door to find a squad of troops stationed inside. Turning to you, one of them steps forward wearing a yellow cape over his armor that flutters in the wind from the door.
Captain: I am Sir Wittelsbach, captain of Sterling Division, entrusted with the safety and care of this establishment. You look to be a refugee. We greet you with our warmest regards.

The room is lit by a small gas lamp which the knights in their plate armor are gathered around, sitting on chairs and sharing stories. One in particular describes a great tentacled abomination he stabbed with his sword, only to watch as it shrivelled into a kneeling, weeping wretch of a biomancer.

You close the door behind you to retain the heat, but it opens again. In comes Jasper, followed by footsteps in the distance. Jasper himself turns to look.

Rob Grey, AKA Spiderking50
Luck: 5/12
Traits:
Master of Tomes: You are able to find Words hidden in any book, so long as you roll successfully
Master of Battle: If you change a character's physical status this turn, get +2 Luck. If you don't, lose 1 Luck.
Spoiler: Dictionary (5 words) (click to show/hide)
4 Entropy: Metal objects near you give off a slight warmth.

"Hey Ray, you might want this candle for the Mellowtovs. Oh, and take this 'tov to. I didn't have the materials to work on it."

Put pages back in book.
Go outside. When I see the doctors office, explore it for useful materials.
Upgrade materials into improvised piercing/blunt weapons.

((I don't want to waste a turn just getting a flavor text of the view outside. If you consider this metagaming, I'll change my action.))

You exit through Varl's open window and see what looks like a giant pair of zombie legs, disembodied from the waist down, stumbling around on one foot large and the other small. It seems to have a very hard time moving around, because its center-of-balance is too low for it to shift its weight properly.

Out in the street, you notice a smithy with a sign bearing the same heart you saw on the hammer. You also notice Rob heading into a doctor's office, so you follow him and find a group of plate-armored paladins taking refuge in the building. The captain, having just introduced himself to Rob, elects not to do so again but rather takes a short bow and remarks, "I see you have brought acquaintances. There are medical supplies in the basement in case one of you is hurt."

The office itself has been ransacked just like the others, but the knights have set their packs (containing food) on one table to your right and are gathered around an oil lamp to the left, talking amongst themselves. The pantry near the table, formerly filled with medicinal recipes and potions, is now empty and barren, although it is possible the soldiers just moved them downstairs.

Jasper Jones, AKA Tomasque
Luck: 7/12
Traits:
The Art of War: Once a turn, you can make a single allied attack Piercing lvl 3 (ignores any modifiers by worn armor or magic, up to 3), but not your own
The War Machine: +1 to upgrade rolls
The Gift of Silence: The NPC you are persuading gets a +1 to his die
Inventory:
Hammer: Bears a heart glyph on the eye.
Prybar
Double-Barreled Shotgun (loaded)
Mellowtov: Does not deal damage, but can ignite flammables. Can be upgraded for free with a 'fuel' item.
Morse Code Manual: It has unusual curved glyphs hidden in the spacing of the text, visible only at arm's reach.

Desiccatus' ears perked. "Hear that? Those footsteps hit the ground too hard. I don't think they're human...."

Peek out one last time. Look for the source.

Turning to the other side of the shop, you peek out and see a giant pair of legs struggling to walk on one giant foot. Its other foot is much too small to provide any useful counterweight to the big one. The others are simply ignoring it and entering the doctor's office on the other side of the street.

You also hear a voice calling out from the entrance side of the pub. A high-pitched, raspy voice, saying something along the lines of "Number forty-one, you were not supposed to be out here!"

((Note to other players: the voice was heard AFTER you all entered the doctor's office.))

Desiccatus Morbid, AKA Cheesecake
Luck: 6/12
Traits:
Elusive: When an NPC has never seen you, his Alertness to you is reduced by 1
Creative: Performing an action using medical equipment gives +2 Luck
Reclusive: Actions targeting other people cost 2 Luck, unless *ahem* something else is speaking for you (money, a knife, etc.)
Burnt/Doused Bottom: A rather awkward injury. Dodging attacks will cost 1 Luck if it requires you to move your whole body

Takes mellowtov and candle from Jasper.

"Not human? Interesting..."

Eager smile appears on face. Jumps out window and joins team near/in hospital.

Walking past the giant legs, you find that the doctor's office is filled with paladins from the grand inquisition, the very order conducting the battle in the city surrounding you.
The captain states that supplies are in the basement, although you see the shadows of moving figures on the walls of the stairwell, illuminated by gaslight. There's more than just supplies down there, probably someone who is injured and another taking care of him.

Raioyris Carolean, AKA Wunderkatze
Traits:
Princely Wisdom: Gain 1 Luck at the end of each turn if you have less than 6 Luck
Prodigial Son: Each item you buy or sell costs 1 Luck
Inventory:
Estoc: Sharp and good for stabbing, but lacks a cutting edge.
Mellowtov x4: Does not deal damage, but can ignite flammables. Can be upgraded for free with a 'fuel' item.
Lit Candle

The doctors office looks promising. I should be able to at least find a knife or something.

Sneak away from the 2 demons to the Doctor's Office.

You leave stealth ((no Luck drained)) and enter the office, following the other. Inside is a band of knights loyal to the Holy order. The captain, apparently somewhat exasperated at the fact that you and all the others came in one by one, forgoes introduction altogether and points at the stairwell. There are lights coming from just around the corner downstairs.

The office itself has no supplies on this floor, for they were likely moved downstairs. You become the first to sneak down while the others examine their surroundings.
In the basement there are about ten sleeping rolls spread out on the floor, with a discarded suit of armor next to one and an injured man lying beside it. A woman in black wearing familiar monastic garb is currently tending to his wounds, mixing some herbs and medicine on a desk in the corner. Also lying on the desk are knives, tongs, and implements suitable for a torture-chamber. The light comes not from a lamp, but from a Spark held in a glass bubble, perched atop a pile of medical books. The books are from a pile which was neatly stacked up against the wall to make room for more sleeping rolls.

Varl Kantor, AKA HighEndNoob
Traits:
xDreadcloakx: -1 Luck cost per turn for staying hidden
xDarkbladex: All stealth attack targets (including Cautious ones) roll a 1 for defense
xJokerx: Lose 2 Luck whenever you are attacked
xSinisterx: Bartering NPC's get a +1 to their dice rolls

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 4, page 5)
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:45 am »

Ask the captain about the situation in the area. After that, go downstairs to see if anyone needs healing and grab some medical supplies.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 03:06:57 am »

Ask the captain about the situation in the area. After that, go downstairs to see if anyone needs healing and grab some medical supplies.

The captain responds.
Captain: Our men are faltering at the sights of the great beasts the Remnant are using in combat. What terrible magic! Considering the circumstances, my squad of rookies was assigned to set up a hidden base in this establishment and prepare for the worst. While the battle began in our favor, I fear for the worst should the Remnant have some hidden trick up their sleeves.

If any of you able-bodied sirs would help us tend to the wounded and bring them here, you will have the Order's utmost gratitude. But is not customary to ask refugees for assistance, is it? The lives of good men are at stake, so I hope you will forgive me for the grievance on my part.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 02:14:47 pm »

"Hey, Ray. This place seems pretty illuminated. May I have that candle back again?"
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 02:45:20 pm »

Cast mend/endless/touch/blast on any injured already at the place. Otherwise, see if I can locate any injured outside (in the opposite direction of legs).
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 04:43:35 am »

Dessicatus, curious, follows the source of the voice.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

"As you wish."
Gives candle to Jasper.

"Brave soldiers," Begins talking to soldiers (I'll assign six luck to this action), "I impore you to arm me. In my time upon this earth a noble heart and strong arm have been raised in me. I do not falter and I can handle any weapon. Let me aid in the disposal of the fowl and ungoddy things that plague our lands."

Searches for things to upgrade mellowtovs with.

((Probably wouldn't take a gas lamp if its the only source of light for a room.))
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:06:20 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

Receive candle from Ray. Explore downstairs.
Take to some knives/stretchy gauze from the medical/torture tools.
"For when I encounter a wounded survivor."
Go outside, walk towards smithy, away from view. Upgrade pry bar with knives wrapped to it in gauze to make bladed weapon with reach. [6]
Explore smithy, new weapon in one hand, candle in other. [Whatever Luck remaining]

(If upgrade fails, de-upgrade crowbar and use that as my primary weapon. If smithy is illuminated, use shotgun.)
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 11:12:18 pm »

"Greetings Madame." Varl peers over at the desk. "I question why there are torture implements in the same room they treat the wounded."

Grab a suitbly sized knife from the desk, and examine the torture implements further.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2015, 02:50:07 am »

Cast mend/endless/touch/blast on any injured already at the place. Otherwise, see if I can locate any injured outside (in the opposite direction of legs).

[5] The healing spell succeeds in mending the one man in the basement. His wounds completely disappear, and are sealed with some kind of strange light that glows in the shape of a hand where you touched his wounds. It flares up whenever the man moves around or when his wounds are touched.
The spell caused you to gain 5 Entropy, in addition to your existing 4, so casting more spells will cost 1 additional Luck.

[4] Outside, you scout the perimeter of the Paladin's triage hut, looking for any clues an injured survivor might leave behind, such as blood. You do in fact smell blood, and trace it to a merchant's stand in a small marketplace set in a wide alley, further down the street. There are cages with dead chickens everywhere, and some appear to have been broken and the chicken bodies inside removed. In the city distance, you hear a very loud rooster crowing.

Rob Grey, AKA Spiderking50
Luck: 2/12
Traits:
Master of Tomes: You are able to find Words hidden in any book, so long as you roll successfully
Master of Battle: If you change a character's physical status this turn, get +2 Luck. If you don't, lose 1 Luck.
9 Entropy: Metal objects near you glow red-hot

Receive candle from Ray. Explore downstairs.
Take to some knives/stretchy gauze from the medical/torture tools.
"For when I encounter a wounded survivor."
Go outside, walk towards smithy, away from view. Upgrade pry bar with knives wrapped to it in gauze to make bladed weapon with reach. [6]
Explore smithy, new weapon in one hand, candle in other. [Whatever Luck remaining]

(If upgrade fails, de-upgrade crowbar and use that as my primary weapon. If smithy is illuminated, use shotgun.)

[1] The nun gladly donates a couple of knives, but as it turns out she is running out of gauze, as she has already used it all on previous visitors. Instead of giving you the last roll, she asks if you could find any throughout the city. Unlikely, but what can you do.
(6) In the smithy, though, you find plenty of fuel left in the furnace, and you already have a hammer, so go figure. The one thing missing is an anvil, because some anvil-thief had stolen it before you got here. Instead you use the top of the furnace, slightly denting it, but getting what you wanted to accomplish done.

The bronze knives fuse easily onto the iron prybar. The result is a strange weapon that is basically a bladed morningstar. It won't hold together well due to the construction, but it's intimidating enough to be useful.

(1) ((You have 1 Luck left at this time))
You spend the rest of the time mumbling about the smithy looking for anything useful. Despite the furnace and fuel left in the shop, most of the scrap metal has been taken, so you find nothing of note.

Outside you hear a rooster crowing.

((Rather than restricting future upgrades to weapons I think I will allow you to choose whatever upgrades you want as "Features," such as serrated edges, pommel spikes, better reinforcement, etc))

Gained [6] Luck from crafting roll, [4] from exploring.

Jasper Jones, AKA Tomasque
Luck: 10/12
Traits:
The Art of War: Once a turn, you can make a single allied attack Piercing lvl 3 (ignores any modifiers by worn armor or magic, up to 3), but not your own
The War Machine: +1 to upgrade rolls
The Gift of Silence: The NPC you are persuading gets a +1 to his die
Inventory:
Hammer: Bears a heart glyph on the eye.
Bronze Knifebar: Will become damaged if it hits metal armor. (1 Luck + material needed to upgrade)
Double-Barreled Shotgun (loaded)
Morse Code Manual: It has unusual curved glyphs hidden in the spacing of the text, visible only at arm's reach.
Lit Candle

Dessicatus, curious, follows the source of the voice.

Your investigation reveals a a short, mostly balding man coming up over the slove. In the distance you see a formation of paladins, innumerable from this distance, clashing into a front of skeletal soldiers. The skeletons, in their charge, seem to be parting around three individuals inside their mass, all three being cloaked individuals wielding red-hot bars of iron and raising them to the sky.
[1] The bald man sees you and pulls out an iron rod from beneath his robe, and mutters some words you don't know in Ancient. He then slams the rod against the ground, causing himself to rise up on a hexagonal pillar of stone, towering five meters above the ground.

Desiccatus Morbid, AKA Cheesecake
Traits:
Elusive: When an NPC has never seen you, his Alertness to you is reduced by 1
Creative: Performing an action using medical equipment gives +2 Luck
Reclusive: Actions targeting other people cost 2 Luck, unless *ahem* something else is speaking for you (money, a knife, etc.)
Burnt/Doused Bottom: A rather awkward injury. Dodging attacks will cost 1 Luck if it requires you to move your whole body

"As you wish."
Gives candle to Jasper.

"Brave soldiers," Begins talking to soldiers (I'll assign six luck to this action), "I impore you to arm me. In my time upon this earth a noble heart and strong arm have been raised in me. I do not falter and I can handle any weapon. Let me aid in the disposal of the fowl and ungoddy things that plague our lands."

Searches for things to upgrade mellowtovs with.

((Probably wouldn't take a gas lamp if its the only source of light for a room.))

EDIT: Hidden roll: (6) vs (6)
The captain steps out of the door and points in the vague direction of the bar you just came from.
"There. You hear our men fighting, do you not?"
There are shouts and commands being issued, which echo among the ruins of the city.
"Six necromancers lay claim to this city. The Scarlet Inquisition would not grant them access, so they raised an army to fight for them. Those skeletons came from real people in this land, their souls enslaved to serve their new and unforgiving masters."

He closes the door to keep the cold outside.
"Unfortunately the Paladins do not accept assistance from neiter mercenaries nor foreign armies. Our men pride themselves in their tactics and discipline, and to receive their training you must enlist in the Scarlet Inquisition to learn for six months.

But! There is room to help in other ways. My squad has only recently completed training, and lacks combat experience. We serve here instead, tending to those who are injured. Such acts require no training. You may help us recover the wounded after the battle passes."

From the stairs below, a man with glowing handprints on his arms and legs climbs up, wearing nothing but a towel. He addresses the captain.
"Captain! The one in the robes healed my wounds. Is he still present?"
The captain shakes his head. The robed one was Rob, who walked out a few moments ago.

[5] You find bottles of oil poking out of the Paladin's bags on the kitchen table. There are rags and clothes inside said bags. You'll have to ask them first though.

Gained [4] luck from conversation, gained +1 Luck from Princely Wisdom

Raioyris Carolean, AKA Wunderkatze
Traits:
Princely Wisdom: Gain 1 Luck at the end of each turn if you have less than 6 Luck
Prodigial Son: Each item you buy or sell costs 1 Luck
Inventory:
Estoc: Sharp and good for stabbing, but lacks a cutting edge.
Mellowtov x4: Does not deal damage, but can ignite flammables. Can be upgraded for free with a 'fuel' item.

"Greetings Madame." Varl peers over at the desk. "I question why there are torture implements in the same room they treat the wounded."

Grab a suitbly sized knife from the desk, and examine the torture implements further.

There are knives-a-plenty for everyone!
The nun answers.
"They are no torture implements. Then again, the tools of a doctor and a torturer are quite similar in this time and day..."
She looks almost embarrassed. Quickly, she returns to her work. Rob walks over to the injured guy and mutters some words, causing the nun to look over and put on a rather surprised expression. The man is healed, but has glowing hand-marks left on him. Rob leaves right away, while the man leaves after some time.

The "torture" implements are simply tongs, saws, corkscrews, and pliers. The nun insists the corkscrews are used for uncapping bottles of medicine. If you wish to know what the pliers are for, consult Sir Robin upstairs, for he is a dentist.

Varl Kantor, AKA HighEndNoob
Traits:
xDreadcloakx: -1 Luck cost per turn for staying hidden
xDarkbladex: All stealth attack targets (including Cautious ones) roll a 1 for defense
xJokerx: Lose 2 Luck whenever you are attacked
xSinisterx: Bartering NPC's get a +1 to their dice rolls
Implements:
Bronze Knife (1 Luck + material needed to upgrade)

The players near the doctor's office and smithy hear a faint rumbling in the direction of the tavern.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:50:20 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 5, page 5)
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »

look for useful objects among the rubble

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »

Did my +1 to upgrading affect anything?

Also, unless otherwise stated, if I were going to get a total of 3 or less on an action that I put luck into, just make it a roll instead.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:32:10 pm by Tomasque »
Money!

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2015, 10:32:55 pm »

((You didn't address all my actions. Did I do too much? Or what?))

Figures..."Very well, I suppose it is very unbecoming of me to pry my way into another man's war." Much more so their armory...

"But it is indeed a very wise thing to keep an army free of mercenaries or outside aid it will not doubt nurture a strong tradition and stout hearts among the men."

I guess flattery is a waste...

Fetches three knives from nun, if succeeds head over to smithy and modify one to be a throwing knife by reducing the size of the handle to make it weighted properly (uses six luck on this).

"Jones, if you would could you reduce the size of this knife's blade and hilt, I intend to keep this one up my sleeve quite literally."

If agrees gives one knife to Jasper.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:02:36 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2015, 10:45:47 pm »

Did my +1 to upgrading affect anything?

Also, unless otherwise stated, if I were going to get a total of 3 or less on an action that I put luck into, just make it a roll instead.

((Well, it wasn't upgrading per-se, it was crafting a new item using existing weapons as components. From now on upgrading the same weapon will get that bonus. I'll also try to stick the upgrade cost tag more often.))

((Noted. Remember that if you don't choose low rolls intentionally you might start running out of luck sometime soon. For your last action you got a ton of luck and your failure didn't really harm you much, so I figured you wouldn't mind.))

((You didn't address all my actions. Did I do too much? Or what?))

((Well, you entered a conversation, and you put the "search for things" after the conversation. As a dumb machine intelligence I entered a halt-state on the last instruction, so the roll ended.))

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2015, 11:16:32 pm »

What is the 1 Luck cost for upgrading? Does it mean it will automatically succeed if I put one luck into this? And how does my modifier factor in?
Money!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10