Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97446 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1930 Design
« Reply #1275 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:49 am »

AT mines shouldn't that hard to make, if we really wanted something AT and defensive for urban warfare.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 14, 2015, 11:53:00 am »

My proposal

Mosquito
Narrow, small and nimble aluminium-wooden or full aluminium biplane (fit in 2 ore)  Light enough to consume 2 oil and have adequate speed. Armed with 2 Sorraria machineguns and special universal mount under fuselage. This mount should be able to use(in order of importance) Stallion, Light bomb, single shot preloaded Hippo, cargo container(ideally with a parachute), float pontoon(s) or nothing for increased speed and manoeuvrability. Failing make it universal, attach a single Stallion. Optimized for operating on low attitudes and maneuver between mountains houses in city

It is light fighter\ground attack\utility aircraft  with modular design in mind. If we will succeed with pontoons we will get some air support in jungles. Hippo variant will have only one shot, but hit from above should kill any armor, stallion variant can allow it to handle heavier enemies and empty will allow to handle manoeuvrable enemies.

Biplane is chosen because it is nimbler 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:31:20 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 14, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »

haha, holy shit

basically a stunt plane with guns

that's hella moskurg, but there's only this much you can do with wood (our earlier wooden monoplane had stability problems at top speed) so let me double up on your idea

BUTTERFLY
small, nimble biplane made out of aluminum tubes and fiberglass cloth fit with a supercharged v8 engine in a pusher configuration
fitted with a modular weapons mount in front, for usage with hippo, stallion and (in the future) rocket systems
optimized for low-altitude flight and maneuverability

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 14, 2015, 12:06:38 pm »

Our earlier plane had problems because it was our earlier plane. Wood is not that bad material for aircrafts. WW2 have seen a full wooden fighter-bomber built for speed.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:38 pm »

Wood might not be that bad, but we need something that will last for a while so we can focus on other things.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »

the proposal i'm bringing, other than fixing the issue of stability, makes the craft a lot lighter (it's basically a bunch of hollow tubes welded together with strong cloth on top), 1 ore more expensive, and considering you'd likely want to use the same engine in your model the oil price shouldn't change

so what we're left is with getting more experience in fiberglass, a faster plane than a wooden one would be, and a modular weapons mount for whatever we need these for later (meaning it can be useful even in the 40s if we play our cards right)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:24 pm »

Do you reckon we've got the need/experience to build a heavy bomber? Say, a twin engine plane with a bomb bay and multiple crew members? We could do some serious carpet bombing of the enemy with one.

Re. fiberglass: When di that become a thing? I thought it was quite recent?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »

in the 1930s, so we should be par for the course

carbon fibers are quite recent though, might be thinking of those

Do you reckon we've got the need/experience to build a heavy bomber? Say, a twin engine plane with a bomb bay and multiple crew members? We could do some serious carpet bombing of the enemy with one.

when we've got some free time, perhaps next year if we're lucky

i have vested interest in strategic bombing, for obvious reasons

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:10 pm »

Bombing supply convoys in the desert would cripple any attempts to take our cities. But for now we need an air superiority fighter.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »

It is better long term but short term it may inflate the cost, while we need it cheap. I think that both cargo container and float pontoon can be somewhat useful and bomb will be definitely useful. Modular mount is the key of my design.

If I'll some support to half-wooden, I switch to it. I am wary that fiberglass thing will either fail or add +1 to the cost

Fiberglass, 1932 tech is a risky attempt and I prefer to not try it together with modular mount.

As for bombers... we have no ore to make full metal ones and it makes it an awful investment

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 14, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »

we have an expense credit, ur

even if it turns out to be more expensive than expected, we can afford to deploy it right now and work out the kinks later

we kind of have to think forward if we are to have any advantage in this, the reason we have arstotzkans knocking on our towns is because we were too busy countering them to think a year ahead

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 14, 2015, 12:51:05 pm »

Fighting in the homeland is very bad for us, we need to roll something out to help us gain ground in the desert or we risk losing access to the rest of our oil. I like the butterfly, but it's simply too expensive for us to deploy in the numbers we need, I think. +1 to Mosquito.

For our revision, I think we should try to improve our logistics. Right now we have 2 ore and 2 oil, which again is far too small for comfort. We could try to revise our trains to run on diesel, it requires a smaller labor pool and will let our trains run faster and carry more freight. Or we could introduce the intermodal container, which would speed loading from the trains out of the mountains to our trucks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:54:36 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »

I like the butterfly, but it's simply too expensive for us to deploy in the numbers we need, I think.

didn't i explain how it wouldn't be particularly expensive at all..?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:33 pm »

I like the butterfly, but it's simply too expensive for us to deploy in the numbers we need, I think.

didn't i explain how it wouldn't be particularly expensive at all..?

Yeah, but that's only next year. When the expense credit expires, we'll be stuck in the same place we are now where our equipment is on par with Arsetotzka's but we can't field enough of it to make a difference.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 14, 2015, 01:02:45 pm »

that was an if. if it turns out to be expensive

i'm not the gm, i can't tell you whenever the mosquito or butterfly is more expensive, but from the best i can tell you is that there will be a 1 ore difference between the two tops
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 135