Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97279 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1918 Design
« Reply #375 on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:16 am »

Why would a dirigible be useless in jungle or mountain warfare? Sure the bombs won't be very accurate, but they're dirigible dropped bombs, they're never going to be really accurate, and as a flying vessel what does it care about 'harsh terrain'?

The most important bits about it is that it is flying and it has a radio, making it the best recon thing we're going to have.

I would like to remind you, that in the jungle you can't see what's going on because of the massive plant cover.

Also, you've got the wrong weapon for a dirigible.  It should have some kind of autocannon, to take advantage of it's heavy lift capabilities, and to allow it to shoot things it isn't directly over.

The biggest problem is, however, they're slow.  Really, really slow.  It could take days to get it set up for another go, or give it more ammo, and you need quite a lot of complicated infrastructure to launch and maintain them, meaning we'll never have enough to actually make a difference with them as bombers.

So, no, it's a poor design.

Lastly, fifty pounds of bombs is nothing.  Nothing at all.  An artillery piece would fire more than that every minute.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:28:01 am by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 28, 2015, 09:29:50 am »

Here's my design recommendation:

MK 1918 "Banana Bomb" grenade

It's called the Banana Bomb because it resembles a pineapple.  It's a pretty simple design, a third of a pound of high explosives in a bumpy steel case, to increase shrapnel.  Fired with a timed fuse and a spoon.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 28, 2015, 09:30:29 am »

Plus, planes aren't foreign technology. The Great War is on its last legs, it definitely wouldn't be too outlandish to make an armed recon plane.

R-1 Hawk: A simple, wood-and-canvas biplane for reconnaissance. Armed with two forward-facing Brumby LMGs, and seats two. The pilot sits in front, while the observer sits behind him. The observer can navigate, make observations, and use a radio installed in between the two.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 28, 2015, 09:33:38 am »

I'd certainly argue to start on the propaganda. Maybe something about our recent ace?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:26 am »

I'm thinking we should maybe spring for something smaller this time, because we keep trying to make huge leaps in technology, falling about halfway there, and then promptly moving on to some other giant leap.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 28, 2015, 09:46:40 am »

We do have a stolen SMG to distribute once we hit the revision phase. Other than that, we don't really have much of a choice with the leaps, given they've already done them and succeeded.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #381 on: July 28, 2015, 09:48:13 am »

Plus, planes aren't foreign technology. The Great War is on its last legs, it definitely wouldn't be too outlandish to make an armed recon plane.

R-1 Hawk: A simple, wood-and-canvas biplane for reconnaissance. Armed with two forward-facing Brumby LMGs, and seats two. The pilot sits in front, while the observer sits behind him. The observer can navigate, make observations, and use a radio installed in between the two.

+1
Regards,
Dampe

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 28, 2015, 10:00:35 am »

At this point, designing weapons for plains warfare would be a little irrelevant. However, now they're fighting us on our preferred ground, and they have to adapt to our methods.

First off, I think we need to get a proper tank onto the field though.

T1 'Smasher' Tank
Designed to counter the Arstotzkan tank in it's role, the T1 is designed to be more heavily armoured, and faster than the Arstotzkan tank. Using a similar turret system to that on the Struunk to mount a new, 2-inch short barrel cannon capable of punching through the steam tank's armour without having the turn the entire tank to do so. If we can, attempt to mount the radio onto the design.
I vote for the tank, but I would rather stick with the bombardier and a brumby, mounted in coaxial fashion and on a turret.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 28, 2015, 10:08:11 am »

Alright, changing my vote.  +1
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #384 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »

At this point, designing weapons for plains warfare would be a little irrelevant. However, now they're fighting us on our preferred ground, and they have to adapt to our methods.

First off, I think we need to get a proper tank onto the field though.

T1 'Smasher' Tank
Designed to counter the Arstotzkan tank in it's role, the T1 is designed to be more heavily armoured, and faster than the Arstotzkan tank. Using a similar turret system to that on the Struunk to mount a new, 2-inch short barrel cannon capable of punching through the steam tank's armour without having the turn the entire tank to do so. If we can, attempt to mount the radio onto the design.
I vote for the tank, but I would rather stick with the bombardier and a brumby, mounted in coaxial fashion and on a turret.
If that's the case, might as well base it on the SPAT.

+1 to T1 Smasher.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:51 pm »

+1 to the tank.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 28, 2015, 03:04:13 pm »

+1 to the R1 Hawk

Are we winning the war?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:07:56 pm by Devastator »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:28 pm »

It looks like the votes are in favor of Moskurg tanks.

T1 Smasher: Based on previous experience with the SPAT and the Struunk I, this is Moskurg's attempt to make a completely armored fighting vehicle with a turret. The frame is based on the SPAT. The vehicle will be heavier though, so it is expanded slightly with room for two Struunk I motors and their fuel, one motor powers each tread (Expensive). The treads are very similar to the SPAT and suffer similar problems. It is armored all around with 0.8 inch armor, of questionable quality steel, in a trapezoidal shape over the chassis with the treads exposed. The turret is a cylinder protruding out of the top of the front part of the tank, which includes the exit hatch. It does not include the planned coaxial machine gun but instead has a Brumby which can be used when the top hatch is open. The main gun is a shortened Bombardier with narrow vertical aim. Crewed with a driver, loader and gunner/commander. Can get up to 8 mph on a good day. Costs 4 ore, 2 oil.

Improvements in motor manufacturing have made the Struunk I motor inexpensive (affecting Struunk Is and SPATs), but the twin motor arrangement is Expensive. The radio was not easily fit into the armor.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1918 Revision
« Reply #388 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:39 pm »

Revision time then? I vote to rework the submachine gun to our own system of measurements.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1918 Revision
« Reply #389 on: July 28, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »

Revision time then? I vote to rework the submachine gun to our own system of measurements.
+1.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 135