Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97302 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1917 Design
« Reply #345 on: July 27, 2015, 05:30:07 pm »

Try to make the radio smaller. It needs to be man-portable, not cart-portable..

+1

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »

((Its really hard to keep up with the situation on a phone for 4 days.))

A few things there.

1. I can't understand our obsession on the grenade here, though it has a use. Its too defensive and risky to be used as an aggressive weapon.
2. The SPAT actually isn't bad. If we got better armour and have twice as much power driving it, this will be a very, very respectable main battle tank. Also as one might suggest, the SPAT has to work alongside struunks to work to their advantage.
The Arstotzkaian steam tank is, frankly speaking, shit. If we can run around them and hit them in the side or in the back, they are just sitting ducks.
3. Their main advantage is not the tank, but their brand new .35 cal SMG.
^^This so much

+1 to radio revision.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »

Next design phase we might want to look into pump action shotguns to replace our current two shot breachloaders.

Personally, my wish for Grenades is less to have grenades in specific, though they should be pretty useful, but for practice for both RPGs and Grenade Launchers, both of which could be very very useful. (And if we end up making a fragmentation grenade, that probably counts as practice for fragmentation artillery shells.)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:57 pm »

You engineers set to work on making a better radio. Random.org is possibly allied with Arstotzka.

Model 2 Radio: This new radio is battery powered, and a bit smaller- it fits onto a wheelbarrow-like carriage which can be moved by a man. It takes two operators, and still requires frequent hand-cranking, but it can at least be fit into a trench. Has a four foot radio mast. Transmits and receives Morse code. It is Expensive due to its complexity and requires 2 ore.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1917 Production
« Reply #349 on: July 27, 2015, 06:12:50 pm »

CURSE YOU, RANDOM NUMBER GODS!!!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #350 on: July 27, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »

hhhhhhhhhhnnnggggrtnriuwvnevniu

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:55 pm »

1. I can't understand our obsession on the grenade here, though it has a use. Its too defensive and risky to be used as an aggressive weapon.

I'd just like to point out that the enemy is heavy with man-portable machine guns and mortars.  Grenades are how you deal with such things.  They're very much offensive weapons.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »

Why would grenades let you deal with mortars? They're indirect, back of the line weapons.

Machine guns kill soldiers who try to rush them. Grenades let you soften up entrenched enemies, but only if you can get close. They're not a hard counter as evidenced by WW1 trench designs; in a proper trench or bunker you would have a grenade sump that you kick enemy grenades into, which means that grenades are never 100% effective against an entrenched enemy.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2015, 07:24:26 pm »

I'd just like to point out that the enemy is heavy with man-portable machine guns and mortars.  Grenades are how you deal with such things.  They're very much offensive weapons.
Mortars are best dealt with... mortars. Well the Mortar is, for all purposes and intent, a large launched grenade.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:25:50 am by evilcherry »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 28, 2015, 12:19:52 am »

Why would grenades let you deal with mortars? They're indirect, back of the line weapons.

Machine guns kill soldiers who try to rush them. Grenades let you soften up entrenched enemies, but only if you can get close.

Like, say, if you're fighting in a jungle or a mountainous area?

I'd recommend working on stuff that's useful everywhere, rather than only one one, limited section of the war.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 28, 2015, 12:27:33 am »

Machine guns kill soldiers who try to rush them. Grenades let you soften up entrenched enemies, but only if you can get close.

Like, say, if you're fighting in a jungle or a mountainous area?

I'd recommend working on stuff that's useful everywhere, rather than only one one, limited section of the war.
'nades are good utility weapons, but they are just ill-suited to take out a tank at range.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:32 am »

Any particular production orders, guys?  Beyond 'put radios into production, try and shove some into a spare seat in the Struunks if nothing else'.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06:38 am »

Also slap some onto the SPAT and some observation outposts? That'll let us call in artillery more accurately.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2015, 03:47:38 am »

Any particular production orders, guys?  Beyond 'put radios into production, try and shove some into a spare seat in the Struunks if nothing else'.
Remember you don't need to give production orders, although I'll try to implement any that seem important. Production Phase isn't a real phase, it's the downtime while I haven't yet written the battle report.

You have gained the following stolen blueprint thanks to Agent Tiger Fucker:
-AS-MC16: This is a sub-machine gun, firing the 9mm pistol round. It uses a new, closed-bolt blowback system perfected from the AS-F14. This system is reliable and keeps dirt out of the gun. The bolt system takes up about fifteen centimeters, all of which is past the trigger, then a magazine, a 30 round drum, inserts into the receiver from the left. The barrel after the receiver is short, about twenty centimeters, and has a slotted metal hand guard. The stock is wooden and stops at the receiver, where brass is ejected from the bottom of the gun. The short barrel gives poor accuracy, especially when hot, and the 9mm bullets have much less range than a rifle or machine gun. The system fires about 400 rounds per minute. Its complexity makes it Expensive. It is produced in metric measurements, which makes it Very Expensive.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 28, 2015, 04:40:41 am »

'nades are good utility weapons, but they are just ill-suited to take out a tank at range.

They're also not web-shooters, and do not catch crooks like flies.

Anyway, I don't understand the opposition to allowing soldiers to throw bombs at the enemy.  If the only thing that matters is anti-tank capability, rifle grenades, PIATs or bazookas would be the natural follow-up to small explosives, and could then be done next year.

I'd also suggest using the spy to delay them another year from grabbing the plains resources.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 135