Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97046 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1926 Design
« Reply #900 on: August 05, 2015, 04:00:08 am »

* LordSlowpoke adjusts glasses

i will concede if you show me a surefire way to ensure that arstotzka is forced to abandon the plains' resources next year

otherwise gotta carrier fast

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 05, 2015, 04:05:47 am »

Redesign SMG to be cheap, and design an anti-tank mine.  If they sit their tanks in place behind the lines, arty blows them to hell.  If they attack, they hit mines.  If they build their own arty, ours has radio-assistance.

Of course, that is if goal one, two, and three is trench warfare.  Might be correct, even, as the cheap SMGs would help in mountain and plains, and even if very costly, an occasional mortar would help in mines.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:08:33 am by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 05, 2015, 04:08:18 am »

i will concede if you show me a surefire way to ensure that arstotzka is forced to abandon the plains' resources next year

...Like a national effort carrier would have any effect on that at all?

Dood, don't try to pull of the glasses thing when you're talking nonsense. Specially since we're currently winning in the plains. If we want to win more in the plains, making a modernized version of the SPAT that carries our new gun is the best thing I can think of, it's already making a difference and it's already being called out as awkward to move around.

Either the SPAT II or an Attack Boat sounds best to me.

Like, say, "The Shark Attack Ship, armed with a front mounted B2 Destroyer and a back mounted Quad Stallion Turret for anti air. It should be able to carry an extra ten or fifteen men for making aquatic commando raids behind enemy lines as well, and have enough armor to resist enemy autocannon fire."

Given how heavy the B2 Destroyer is, I'm not sure how easy making the SPAT II will be, so I'm inclined to do the attack boat first.

Redesign SMG to be cheap, and design an anti-tank mine.  If they sit their tanks in place behind the lines, arty blows them to hell.  If they attack, they hit mines.

Of course, that is if goal one, two, and three is trench warfare.  Might be accurate, even, as the cheap SMGs would help in mountain and plains.
Personally I'd prefer to revise the shotgun into a pump action shotgun, but either would be fun. I'm just not sure we can simplify a SMG enough to make it cheap.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 05, 2015, 04:10:36 am »

it would bring us closer to my long-term goal of showering arstotzkan civilians with nerve gas, so it would certainly make life better for every true moskungian patriot

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 05, 2015, 04:12:09 am »

it would bring us closer to my long-term goal of showering arstotzkan civilians with nerve gas, so it would certainly make life better for every true moskungian patriot
Right, so basically completely useless for the war until we're already winning anyway.

Anyway, after further thought have my vote before I go to bed for the night.

Design a modernized version of the SPAT that mounts a B2 Destroyer so we can have mobile artillery again, pushing them out of the plains by at least one space to remove the resources they get from it, making a lot of their stuff more costy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:14:56 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 05, 2015, 04:20:48 am »

Our big artillery is sufficiently mobile for trench warfare.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:27:59 am by Devastator »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 05, 2015, 04:29:04 am »

An idea. Super high altitude carpet bombers. Too high for their fighters and AA. Carpet bombing to counteract the natural inaccuracies of bombing that high.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 05, 2015, 04:33:07 am »

Right, so basically completely useless for the war until we're already winning anyway.

Anyway, after further thought have my vote before I go to bed for the night.

Design a modernized version of the SPAT that mounts a B2 Destroyer so we can have mobile artillery again, pushing them out of the plains by at least one space to remove the resources they get from it, making a lot of their stuff more costy.
Mate B2 onto a T2 Chassis. We now have a new SPAT.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 05, 2015, 04:39:23 am »

Also, I assume we're selling alcohol to the Americans?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:36 am »

Looking at it again, they lose both an ore and an oil if we take a point of the plains.  We can't pass up that opportunity.  A mountain gun and a cheap SMG will do it, as a trench arty would be able to blast their tanks if they make them cheaper, and a cheap SMG should help a lot in the trench fights.  I'll make a suggestion for the hero write-up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:47:58 am by Devastator »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 05, 2015, 05:46:34 am »

Why the heck not?  We're pro-Britain, not pro-'Murica.  At least the British Temperance movement was entirely voluntary (though perhaps not for a lack of trying).

Funnily enough, a big reason people joined the temperance movements across Britain (up until the 60s or so) was that they gave you a pension as part of your membership.  When state pensions got revised enough that everyone had one, people decided that actually we kind of prefer alcohol.

Credit to pubs, though - in pro-Temperance areas they converted the beer gardens into tea gardens and stayed open.

Anyway, here's my votes.  We revise that MK-47 or else something that gets us a leg up in the mountains (which we are about to lose), and get working on a carrier prelude.

Barracuda Cruiser: A 600' long, 10,000 ton displacement cruiser, <4" [100mm, top end of Heavy] RHA armour across the main belt (thinner elsewhere), 700-780 crew, heavy diesel engines powering propulsion turbines.  8 x quad Breaker gun mounts, 8 x twin Destroyer mounts, 8 x quad Stallion mounts.

This might end up being the National Effort.  If it is, it can be replaced by the Carrier later.  This is just for us to get a big hitter in the water to disrupt their supply lines and give us something to do a spot of coastal bombardment from.

Fake Edit:  Okay, so maybe it's so we can get Poseidon's bloody Handmaiden in the water.  If we could design some coastal bombardment guns at a later date, that would make this baby even better.  Nevertheless, this is less armoured, has fewer guns and more crew than a British cruiser of the time.

Real Edit:  What about Captain Otto (from the newspapers) as a Hero?  Doesn't have to still be in tanks, we could move him about.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:48:58 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 05, 2015, 06:10:35 am »

Oh yeah, in case you missed it in the OOC thread, you've "borrowed" the blueprints to the AS-1911 portable mortar. It will be Expensive until you revise it of course.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #912 on: August 05, 2015, 06:27:13 am »

We could develop camo patterns for use on uniforms,  vehicles, and planes.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 05, 2015, 08:04:53 am »

Alright, things are looking good. Might need to spend the revision on the tank cannon to mount those on artillery carriages to boost the amount of AT we have. We likely need to design a GPMG this turn to ensure we don't lose the mountains.

M3 Sorraia GPMG
Designed to be a bit of an end-all response to the MG question, the Sorraia is designed to be used everywhere. Air-cooled with a perforated shroud, and capable of using either a belt, or a detachable 50-round drum belt. Comes with an integral bipod, though can be mounted on a tripod. Designed to have a high rate of fire, reliable and accurate while still remaining under 30 pounds for the gun itself.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:23 am »

I think I've got three suggestions:

Stronk 1" Anti Aircraft gun.

Magazine-loaded autoloader cannon, 1"/70, with a rate of fire ~120 rounds/minute, but aiming to throw armor-piercing shells at significantly greater effective range than a Stallion.  Electrically assisted turret mount, provided via batteries, with an adjustable track rate, and a small diesel generator to recharge the batteries between use.  Goal is to be elevatable at the greatest range possible, possibly from 0 degrees up to 90, upon a ring-gear based 360 degree base.  Not mobile, but can be packed onto a truck or train car.

Bombardier LM

A shortened artillery cannon capable of being dissassembled into parts and reassembled in the field.  Includes wheels and is intended to be slightly modernized to retain accuracy despite being lightened.  Can be used as direct-fire in a pinch.

C-1926 Repeater Carbine

Based on the MK-47, but significantly simplified after the complications due to the failure of it's initial design.  Not an automatic, but a semi-automatic repeater carbine, with a collapsable stock and decent accuracy at range.

Any of those three would be good, IMO, but I'd vote for the AA gun.  If you support boats in the future, it would be very nice to give them a proper weapon for an anti-aircraft gun, rather than an AAMG, and they might be pretty good against light, or even medium armored vehicles, with a decent AT round.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:28:27 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 135