Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97365 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1922 Design
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:11 am »

The thing is though, is that we have NOTHING dedicated to knocking out armour, and that's what's killing us. We need smaller artillery capable of punching through their armour. Concealment isn't an issue at this phase as they have armoured vehicles that can go around unharmed by ours.

We need a weapon that can punch through their frontal plates. The AA stallions are doing an admirable job holding off their air power. The air power is a concern, but we can hold on that front given the amount of AA we have. But we have NOTHING for dealing with their tanks.
To be fair, you are not going to punch armor with a small caliber howitzer better than a 3-inch long gun.

Either a Recoilless rifle:

Or if you want a more useful, better tank gun:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:58 am »

We can build all the AT cannons we want, but if we don't take and hold the jungle, we lose the game as soon as they build a three-ore tank that our proposed AT cannon can't beat, or they overwhelm us with cheaper air power and better tanks.

That's why I want an infantry anti-tank weapon, and one that won't be obsolete in a year.

The next anti-tank cannon should be a real tank cannon, instead of something to beat the last gen of vehicles.  Which is why I want a PIAT, as it can do that.

I also want it as it shouldn't require much ore, and hence be cheap.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2015, 08:04:30 am »

That's why I call for a recoilless rifle.....

Although another possible wonderweapon will be the shaped charge. But then it could be expensive.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2015, 08:08:06 am »

aye on both counts...a cheap recoilless rifle would be nice...alternatively what was it the americans used in world war II? THose explosive charges they put in socks and smeared in tar to throw them against tanks?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2015, 08:21:24 am »

I'd oppose a long tank gun for now, given that I doubt we have a tank to hold it. I was also hoping to revise the Smasher one final time to also give it RHA along with the cannon. If we have that, we'd have a formidable assault unit, doubly so if it resisted the 20mm cannon they have.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2015, 08:41:04 am »

I'd oppose a long tank gun for now, given that I doubt we have a tank to hold it. I was also hoping to revise the Smasher one final time to also give it RHA along with the cannon. If we have that, we'd have a formidable assault unit, doubly so if it resisted the 20mm cannon they have.
If we are not making a long gun a easy way to make it AT is definitely using the revise phase for a shaped charge. The 3.6 Inch is a good howitzer caliber, let's stick with it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:36 am »

Thunder Flak 3 inch - effectively an oversized rifle firing 3 inch time fused HE shells (designed to detonate with a contrasting colour to the sky for ease of targeting). The gun is a semi automatic breech loader with a crew of four (Gunner, spotter,  two loaders). The time fuse can be set manually by one of the loaders. The gun has a 360 degree field of fire, allowing it also fire at ground targets if needed. Main requirements: high muzzle velocity, high RoF.

The timed fuse means that near misses may also cause damage, so we are no longer required to get a direct hit.

If you guys really want something AT, this should be effective,  as the high muzzle velocity will lend to hub penetration,  and the inherent need for high accuracy in an AA gun will also prove useful as an AT.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2015, 09:10:49 am »

Eh, we have enough AA given the brumbies and the stallions. And if necessary, we just modify the bombardier to fire flak shells. Tank attacks are the primary concern though, and I doubt that a flak shell could penetrate the armour.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 01, 2015, 09:18:28 am »

In that case,  I feel rockets are our best bet. Any AT guns are gonna be Ore expensive. As rockets have been around since medieval China, it shouldn't be that hard to design some sort of one man disposable AT ticket launcher. Like a  panzerfaust.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 01, 2015, 09:36:39 am »

In that case,  I feel rockets are our best bet. Any AT guns are gonna be Ore expensive. As rockets have been around since medieval China, it shouldn't be that hard to design some sort of one man disposable AT ticket launcher. Like a  panzerfaust.
That's why I'm for a recoilless gun: Its no more than a carefully perforated thick water pipe.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2015, 09:48:57 am »

Rockets would likely be outside of our expertise. A recoiless rifle looks good though.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2015, 10:16:41 am »

How would it be outside of our expertise? We're weapons designers,  rockets have been around since the 9 th century.  It's not future tech.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 01, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

Maybe, mostly regarding the rocket. I just did a little research though and well...

Use it to fire a shaped charge and we're good. Though I'd still prefer a recoiless rifle because of the muzzle velocity and that effect it has on it's viability of an AA weapon

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 01, 2015, 10:38:38 am »

Also, in theory, if your rockets uses a soft launch arrangement, a recoilless rifle can double as a rocket launcher.

p.s. Actually, we do have all the techs available for the V-1.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:43:00 am by evilcherry »

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 01, 2015, 11:28:13 am »

I still support the Struunk II design an armored multi purpose half track would be useful in all theaters of operation and help us push back across the board.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 135