Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97306 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1916 Design, Party Like It's 1916
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2015, 12:52:49 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152117.msg6393078#msg6393078

Dang, right. I still think a self-propelled AT gun has more applications than a flamethrower. It will give us a tread platform that we can use later on to make more tanks. We could even try equipping the Struunk with a flamethrower.

E: The AT gun would be able to smash the jungle forts, it would take care of the enemy's armor perfectly, it would help us defeat the trenches in the mountains by trashing emplacements, and it can do it all better than a guy with a flamethrower, who is far slower and far more vulnerable than an armored vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:56:00 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »

But Flamers would let us push the jungle out, aswell as giving us an edge in trenches and cave fighting.

if you figure out what we can do on the revision phase to counter the tank, i'm voting flamer
Revise an anti tank version of our artillery

too imprecise

give the stallion some kind of explosive ammo instead?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

But Flamers would let us push the jungle out, aswell as giving us an edge in trenches and cave fighting.

if you figure out what we can do on the revision phase to counter the tank, i'm voting flamer
We have extra fuel, what about a sort of incendiary ammunition?

too imprecise

I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

We have extra fuel, what about a sort of incendiary ammunition?

too imprecise

good quote there m8

an explosive round was planned to just blast through the front armor in some shots, considering the stallion is pretty damn accurate for what it does

for an incendiary we'd have to wait until the tank is already all over our trench to get some side shots in

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:00 pm »

too imprecise

That won't help it penetrate a tank's armor, or let it destroy walls and emplacements since the platform that carries it, the Struunk, doesn't have the armor to withstand the enemy's tanks or machine guns.

As for flamethrowers, the marines in the pacific had medium tanks like the Sherman to help them get close to bunkers and such. The terrain didn't always allow for them to sneak up on enemy forts, which is the only way you can put a flamethrower to use.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »

Man, that is kinda shitty, sorry.
I am still in favour to revise a direct fire AT version of the bombardier.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »

Again, it wouldn't matter if we have AT if the enemy has mobile armor that can just move to a part of the line without any AT. We wouldn't be able to react to assaults since our guns needs to be hitched and carted around by horses. Very slow. SPAT is the only way to counter mobile armor.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:08 pm »

too imprecise

That won't help it penetrate a tank's armor, or let it destroy walls and emplacements since the platform that carries it, the Struunk, doesn't have the armor to withstand the enemy's tanks or machine guns.

As for flamethrowers, the marines in the pacific had medium tanks like the Sherman to help them get close to bunkers and such. The terrain didn't always allow for them to sneak up on enemy forts, which is the only way you can put a flamethrower to use.

for former i was thinking already emplaced, stationary stallions, but 'kay

for latter, i was thinking jungle, but then they'd also set everything around them on fire most likely, so 'kay also

i suppose this is the best we can do this year, but i want us to give planes a shot next year

+1 self-propelled antitank

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2015, 01:11:50 pm »

Well actually the jungle is too wet to start big infernos. Stuff will burn, but it requires a drier climate to get things like brush fires. See: California, Arizona. So you don't need to worry terribly about burning yourself up with flamethrowers in that environ.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »

We could also look into spalling their armour

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »

I'm agreeing with Gunin's SP-AT idea since it seems that the opposing armour is causing us problems, and that a SPAT would be most effective for combating that problem.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »

RIghtm if we scale down the gun to not be a 4 inch gun, that's a naval sized cannon, we can penetrate with something lighter, but of higher velocity.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2015, 01:46:23 pm »

A naval gun is more like 10" and up, but smaller ones were used for AA.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2015, 01:49:39 pm »

A naval gun is more like 10" and up, but smaller ones were used for AA.
Its still a massive gun for AT purposes, especially this early on, ammo capacity will be an issue.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2015, 01:55:44 pm »

The SP-AT will fight defensively, from our trenches, and during assaults because of the size it can attack from beyond the range of enemy emplacements and their existing direct-fire artillery. They don't need to worry about ammo. If it were an MBT out in the field, supply might be a concern.

E:
Self-propelled AT gun (4-inch cannon) with treads built for direct fire. The hull is open on the top to facilitate cooling and save material, there is only some front and side armor to protect the crew from gunfire and shrapnel from artillery. Speed is not a huge factor, but reliability is.
If it's open on the top you can actually store a lot of ammo in there. I edited the design slightly so it still has side armor, otherwise it wouldn't be able to participate in assaults since shrapnel coming up from the ground would kill the crew. Our guys are safe from falling debris since they have helmets, and they won't ever get close enough to be harmed by grenades, should the enemy ever invent them.

E2: The open top could be a vulnerability in the mountains where enemies can use plunging fire. Maybe we should just go full hog and enclose it?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:01:43 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 135