Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159627 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #1980 on: August 10, 2015, 01:14:36 pm »

umm, 500-1000t displacement is your standard destroyer size, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
What. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Real destroyers as we're discussing start from about 1300t displacement (inter-war) up to 4000t (late WW2). The 500t displacement was only a thing before WWI, and those were real shitty when it came to actual fighting.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: August 10, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »

We wanted a cannon on that ship, but didn't get it, so it cannot really be used for any reason. Please all insist that we send our cargoes loaded with mortar teams to harass their rear.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: August 10, 2015, 02:11:15 pm »

Nope, we don't. They have high caliber artillery and aviation and tanks. If cargo ship will approach enemy shore close enough to fire mortar - it will be annihilated.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:25 pm »

Who cares? It's a diversion. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1984 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:12 pm »

We wanted a cannon on that ship, but didn't get it, so it cannot really be used for any reason. Please all insist that we send our cargoes loaded with mortar teams to harass their rear.
By the Throne, no, don't, stop. This is stupider than making a new ship.
An merchant ship with mortars and no matter how many AA guns will die so hard to their airplanes and counter-barrages that I can't even express it. It's just 60 meter long unarmoured, exploding (steam boilers, ammunition) practice target for everything they have. You could kill it with their damn MGs! And we have only one (If I understand that right), so when we lose it (and even arm it with mortars), we will lose our additional logistics.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: August 10, 2015, 02:23:54 pm »

What? No, it's expensive, and Sensei was pretty clear that combat use and logistic bonus are entirely separate. And there is no penalty for loosing some units.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1986 on: August 10, 2015, 02:27:29 pm »

What? No, it's expensive, and Sensei was pretty clear that combat use and logistic bonus are entirely separate. And there is no penalty for loosing some units.
Yeah? Well, that changes... nothing.
It's still a very dumb idea. Like, send unarmored trucks to assault enemy bunkers-level dumb.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: August 10, 2015, 02:32:04 pm »

Nope, it is not a national effort but sending cargoships on suicide missions is still not the brightest idea.

I think only 4 types of vessels have any sense:

1) Motor gun boat aka swimming tank
2) Amphibious landing craft
3) Shore bombardment vessel
4) Aircraft carrier

1 and 2 can be combined, 3 needs large guns we don't have, 4 is too complex unless we use floatplanes
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: August 10, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »

Well, a 1-2 combo might be good for next turn.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1989 on: August 10, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »

1) Motor gun boat aka swimming tank
2) Amphibious landing craft
Only if it's like actual swimming tank. The proposed small gunboats are way too underarmored for fighting an enemy who has pretty good tanks too. Actually, we may even use tank parts in them, just like Soviets and their river boats with tank turrets.  The problem of good artillery on them arises, but it may be removed if we create rocket artillery and mount in on those, just like Soviets.
3) Shore bombardment vessel
4) Aircraft carrier
I'm not sure if an aircraft carrier could be of lot's of use, but we could revise our cargo ships to have an crane (which they may already have) and space in cargo bay for floatplanes, possibly more AA guns. Things like that existed, and were actually useful (unlike merchantman gunboats).

EDIT: Also, we may consider making new train engines in future. Steam ones are good for now but by the middle of WW2 we should have better ones, of course if we have a design turn to spare.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:14:02 pm by Kot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: August 10, 2015, 03:19:41 pm »

Thats only if we dont do a bit more work on steam engines. Thesedays, steam engines can be more powerful than diesel.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: August 10, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »

There is no real need to improve our trains until we have more ressources to bring home. One the other hand, the AS-RPG28 might just be what we need to grab the mountains.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: August 10, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »

Although we couldent really get resources from there without building giant tracks thru the mountains.

I wonder... How are the trainlines thru the plains? Can we get resources out that way?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1993 on: August 10, 2015, 03:26:26 pm »

Although we couldent really get resources from there without building giant tracks thru the mountains.

I wonder... How are the trainlines thru the plains? Can we get resources out that way?
Proably in horrible state thanks to numerous craters and trenches running through them.
We could get cargo planes or something. Lot's of small cargo planes so when they get shoot down we don't lose a lot. Small cargo planes like AS-FI-29...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: August 10, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »

Well, we are already getting the ressources from the plain.

I guess we could improve train to get ressources from the plains and send our trucks in the mountains.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 217