Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159642 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #1965 on: August 10, 2015, 09:27:05 am »

nice list of designs. I am not going to commit to a proposal until we see the effects of next turn, but there are a couple of designs I am interested in.

As for the personnel carrier.... do you think we can make it work as a scout?

(I am eager to see the effects of more tanks and widespread RPG. I also wounder what they made to counter us. Perhaps they finally finished their flamethrower tech?)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: August 10, 2015, 09:28:16 am »

Out of all of those, assuming nothing goes wrong and we have to design to counter whatever they do, I'd prefer a boat. I mean, we're the only ones with boats, so let's press that advantage. Maybe a ship powered with a marine diesel big enough to carry 1-2 1912a's for shore bombardment and ship protection?(Would also be a good way to develop engine tech further by going for diesel as well. Think on what we can do with turbodiesels!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: August 10, 2015, 09:34:10 am »

I am a bit partial to rocket artillery. We are the only ones with proper rocket tech, we might want to press the advantage.

but the boat does give us an advantage in the jungle, which is the front giving us most trouble.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: August 10, 2015, 09:36:41 am »

Spoiler: AS-FP-29 (click to show/hide)

Just throwing it in for discussion.

We have fighters and bombers but we have no utility aircraft. Floatplanes are great for utility because they can land at any river\lake\shore and snow.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:41:35 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:38 am »

I counter with:

Spoiler: AS-DN-29 (click to show/hide)

Edit:Now that our tank is simply Expensive, if we are still producing out t15s, STOP. We don't need them anymore, for any reason. Our MAT-50's can fulfill their defensive role, and our tanks are MILES better than that steam-powered POS.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:34:51 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:49 am »

An Autogyro would be off great use in the jungle as they need much shorter runways.
There good for spotting, hovering and fitted with a few RPGs or an auto cannon anti tank attacks.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1971 on: August 10, 2015, 11:01:39 am »

7) Katyusha-like artillery
+ negates their artillery advantage somewhat
What we would want is Nebelwerfer, not Katyusha. Katyusha is big, it has to be mounted on truck, Nebelwerfers could be dissasembled and used in mountains (so they would serve also as mobile artillery), also mounted on trucks like Katyushas.
Instead of a floatplane biplane or an autogyro I propose light liason/bomber high-wing monoplane.
Spoiler: AS-FI29 (click to show/hide)
Basically nice all-around Fi-156 (I'm not shitting you about the takeoff and landing distances, Fi-156 could manage to land backwards when wind was right), theoretically more useful than a hydroplane because it can be used basically everywhere. I refuse to accept that we can't make 60m clearings in the jungle, or that there are none for that matter. Also, the Charles Carpenter guy someone mentioned before, the one who was raining bazooka fire on Germans during WWII was using what was basically an American version of Fi-156.
EDIT: Also, as for armed autogyros...
They tried that, but it was quickly deemed that autogyros are way too unstable to be useful in any form of combat, sans innacurate bombing maybe, and even then they would be very, VERY, VERY easy prey to enemy AA guns, even the pintle mounted ones.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:03:44 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:52 am »

7) Katyusha-like artillery
+ negates their artillery advantage somewhat
What we would want is Nebelwerfer, not Katyusha. Katyusha is big, it has to be mounted on truck, Nebelwerfers could be dissasembled and used in mountains (so they would serve also as mobile artillery), also mounted on trucks like Katyushas.
Instead of a floatplane biplane or an autogyro I propose light liason/bomber high-wing monoplane.
Spoiler: AS-FI29 (click to show/hide)
Basically nice all-around Fi-156 (I'm not shitting you about the takeoff and landing distances, Fi-156 could manage to land backwards when wind was right), theoretically more useful than a hydroplane because it can be used basically everywhere. I refuse to accept that we can't make 60m clearings in the jungle, or that there are none for that matter. Also, the Charles Carpenter guy someone mentioned before, the one who was raining bazooka fire on Germans during WWII was using what was basically an American version of Fi-156.
EDIT: Also, as for armed autogyros...
They tried that, but it was quickly deemed that autogyros are way too unstable to be useful in any form of combat, sans innacurate bombing maybe, and even then they would be very, VERY, VERY easy prey to enemy AA guns, even the pintle mounted ones.

Eh, until we take the mines we probably don't NEED an aircraft like that(though it would be useful to have). I will say if we do take the mines this turn I'll probably support it-either that or getting diesel trains, whichever helps exploit the ore.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1973 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:17 am »

And we won't really need a ship ever, unless Moskurgans make their own.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: August 10, 2015, 12:15:34 pm »

Shore bombardment is a thing you know :P. Seriously, even if they never make anything to threaten our ships, having an armed vessel would still be useful if only as a distraction for their forces, and would likely be able to nail enemy positions from offshore.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1975 on: August 10, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »

Shore bombardment is a thing you know :P. Seriously, even if they never make anything to threaten our ships, having an armed vessel would still be useful if only as a distraction for their forces, and would likely be able to nail enemy positions from offshore.
Our ship was not even mentioned, IIRC, even if it has an autocannon that could do something. The main problem with ships fighting ground forces is exactly what you think is it's main selling point, practically any ship we can field can be easily destroyed by their artillery, planes or even tanks.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: August 10, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »

Our ship isn't mentioned because it is a CARGO ship. The autocannon is to protect it from planes bombing them to disrupt the CARGO supply. A CARGO ship is not a combat ship and isn't used on the front lines, it carries CARGO around to help with our logistics. Notice a pattern there?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »

We did say that we wanted to use it to dump troops behind enemy lines when we where designing it. Also using it as a floating arty platform.

Oh, and I would like to show you Q-Ships.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1978 on: August 10, 2015, 12:46:31 pm »

No, nah. Don't do this. Any ship smaller than a destroyer will be useless unless they get an navy of their own.
I don't know if it's a wooden or steel ship, but in any case it's far too weak and small to survive any attack from their artillery, planes or even tanks and heavy small-arms fire. Sure, it might have good AA protection, but we would still have to be lucky to survive a bombing run or counter barrage from land. And they have to get lucky only once.
EDIT:
Also, as you may have read, Q-Ships were supposed to fight submarines and other pirates, not shell enemy positions with artillery.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:48:23 pm by Kot »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: August 10, 2015, 01:00:38 pm »

umm, 500-1000t displacement is your standard destroyer size, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 217