Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159486 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Design
« Reply #1905 on: August 09, 2015, 10:50:44 am »

That rocket launcher of yours. I'm not going to think about something (my head hurts) that has no chance of happening.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:22 am »

Sensei simply forgot to remove it from the list, we used that last turn.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1907 on: August 09, 2015, 10:55:50 am »

Sensei simply forgot to remove it from the list, we used that last turn.
Or we just figured out how to make gold out of nothing! GLORIOUS ARSTOTZKAN ALCHEMY!
EDIT:
I just got a best idea.
We need to do this, except with Tigers.
I'm half-afraid what would we hear though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:26:28 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 09, 2015, 03:01:46 pm »

+1 to the RPG
Yes we are ahead of time but we are not a head of technology.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 09, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »

The Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher, eh? A powerful weapon, overlooked by the real world powers during the interwar period. Not, it seems, overlooked by Arstotzka's engineers. This is where things get interesting. Arstotzkans, we are no longer imitating, we are inventing. Sorta.

A simple reloadable tube with a trigger, the RPG28 fires a 50mm rocket with a shaped charge warhead lat lets infantry fight tanks from further than point blank range, while also having an option for fragmentation warheads for attacking clusters of infantry outside of grenade range(though primary purpose is AT). The rocket is fired electrically using a magneto sparker connected to the trigger, which includes an appropriate safety to isolate the magneto to avoid premature detonation. Focus should be on Reliability and Accuracy in that order, with a secondary attempt to keep costs down.

AS-RPG28: A rocket-propelled grenade, fired out of a launch tube. The grenade itself consists of a conical shape with a narrow tube of propellent out the back, and fins in the middle of the tube. The grenade fits into a launch tube, about 3cm in diameter and a meter in length, up to the fins. The launch tube is a simple tube with one handle. To ignite the propellant, soldiers remove a pin, which is attached with a little chain and carabiner clip to a simple lever on the launch tube handle which serves as a trigger. The launch tube weighs three kilograms, and grenades themselves weigh another three. It is accurate enough to hit a tank out to almost 100 meters, after which it drops quickly. Rockets are available with warheads based on each type of grenade, including a crude flat-ended RPG28AT shaped charge. This doesn't fly very well and requires a very square hit to be effective, so can mostly only be used at short range against flat armor. Requires 2 ore.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:28:31 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Revision
« Reply #1910 on: August 09, 2015, 09:27:40 pm »

It doesn't mention being complex anywhere. I'm guessing that means it's cheap. Eh, good enough.

Revise our DB-HF-23 and HF-24 engines to use simplified turbochargers with a focus on getting the turbocharger simple.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:33:55 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 09, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »

It doesn't mention being complex anywhere. I'm guessing that means it's cheap. Eh, good enough.

Revise our DB-HF-23 and HF-24 engines to use simplified turbochargers with a focus on getting the turbocharger simple.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Eh, as you said, good enough. We'll probably want to revisit the AT rocket later to give it a better aerodynamic shape, but hey, we at least don't need to actually attach the freaking thing to a tank to kill it! (Plus, you know, being cheap means we can outfit whole platoons with this and simply fire en masse to take out tanks if we have to).

As for the engine revisions, I want to do a more general revision:

Update the design of all our engines, focusing on a couple key points:

1:Revisit the turbocharger and attempt to simplify it and reduce its cost.
2:Add Fuel Injection to all our engines
3:If Turbo is cheapened, add that to all engines as well
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 09, 2015, 09:55:55 pm »

Don't do Number 3 if it would increase the Oil cost of our vehicles.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 09, 2015, 10:04:13 pm »

Don't do Number 3 if it would increase the Oil cost of our vehicles.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Oh, yeah, This
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 09, 2015, 10:43:31 pm »

One more vote in the pile.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 10, 2015, 12:03:45 am »

I vote for my ship bombing proposal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 10, 2015, 01:41:57 am »

Turbo: You have improved turbo chargers, to the point where they can be produced cheaply. A typical turbocharger, when attached to an engine at full throttle, improves intake air pressure by about 25 kPa. Turbo chargers take up a little more space on an engine, and must be made of high quality alloys and precision engineered to work well (so big kudos to your engineers for making them cheap). Turbo chargers cause "turbo lag", where the effect of the turbo is not felt until the engine is creating a certain amount of exhaust pressure, and the boost kicks in suddenly. Turbos are particularly beneficial, therefore, on engines which are normally run close to full throttle, such as those in airplanes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 10, 2015, 01:50:22 am »

Turbo: You have improved turbo chargers, to the point where they can be produced cheaply. A typical turbocharger, when attached to an engine at full throttle, improves intake air pressure by about 25 kPa. Turbo chargers take up a little more space on an engine, and must be made of high quality alloys and precision engineered to work well (so big kudos to your engineers for making them cheap). Turbo chargers cause "turbo lag", where the effect of the turbo is not felt until the engine is creating a certain amount of exhaust pressure, and the boost kicks in suddenly. Turbos are particularly beneficial, therefore, on engines which are normally run close to full throttle, such as those in airplanes.

Awesome! Too bad we couldn't fit it into all the engines that make sense for it to be in, or add fuel injection to them, but I'll take cheap turbo :P

If I'm reading this right, does this make our tank merely Expensive?

Edit: Is it me or does it seem like our t25 is more and more like an early Panzer III-only with sloped frontal armor?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:56:26 am by tryrar »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #1918 on: August 10, 2015, 02:19:37 am »

I should specify, until you slap turbo on other vehicles this will only affect your tank. I believe, with your resources, it does make the tank Expensive.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #1919 on: August 10, 2015, 02:49:53 am »

I reckon three things could happen next year in relation to our tanks (not taking into account our RPG):

1. Moskurg neglects their tanks. If this happens, we increase our armour presence in the Jungle and advance further, despite whatever they bring to the field (including the theft of our grenades). In the Desert, we'll steamroll them up until the point where we get to their cities. We'll likely get stalled here as the citizenry is well-armed, we lack a CQC primary weapon, camouflage is significantly less useful here than in the Jungle, and Moskurg has home field advantage.

2. Moskurg revises their tanks to be cheaper. The armour fight continues to be even. We'll have been able to continue moving forward, but Moskurg has developed some new advantage. The fighting stalls at best and we lose ground at worst. In the Desert, we'll likely get stalled but there's a chance we could make it to the cities. If we do get to the cities, we'll get stalled for the reasons mentioned in Possibility 1.

3. Moskurg designs a new tank, just as expensive as ours and overall better than ours. Their armour advantage overtakes us in the Jungle. We lose ground. Their ability to fight us in the Desert greatly increases. By virtue of our tank destroyers, we manage to stall them, though getting pushed back is a very real possibility.

Next turn, we'll have to do something that can combat new tanks. Revision is a possibility by revising our planes to be more numerous or by modifying our T25's turret (making it electric) and cannon (adding a muzzle brake).
Alternatively, we could use the Design phase and go for a more ambitious tank, adding a better turret+cannon, spaced armour, shaped armour, faster speed, and hydropneumatic suspension so it can fire accurately when moving.
These are just some ideas and I'm not pushing for anything yet. Well...we'll definitely need a primary CQC weapon if we want to start taking Moskurg cities but I don't think I need to argue any more on that front.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 217