Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158890 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1927 Design
« Reply #1605 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27:30 am »

I think the most straightforward move is automatic rifle. We have enough small arms experience to hope for success unlike handheld AT weapons.

And I repeat that I think that 6*36 is better than 7.62*40 because assault rifle doesn't need that strong round and lighter bullet means lighter gun.

it might be a good idea to develop a new ranged artillery weapon. If it's mobile, we can use it in the Jungle to great effect.

Hm... even if it is not... long range artillery+radio = we can shell them from Taiga while holding 1/4 territory. 6 ore gun, anyone?

You mean like a 130mm gun?(can double as a destroyer gun :P)

Spoiler: AS-HA1927 (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1606 on: August 06, 2015, 08:35:12 am »

Our dive bombers probably have incendiary bombs. If incendiary ammo was as useful as you think, it would show up more in the battle reports. They don't so apparently it's not.
I found no evidence of that, and after all, usefulness of something depends largerly on it's deployement. If your only way to light some stuff up is innacurate artillery, you aren't going to do much.
Magnets? That would be an entirely new tech for us. High chance of failure. An RPG would also let us ambush them.
Fair point (on the other hand, we don't have magnets? Something that was used since, like, always?), though RPG requires us to either use rockets that might be very unreliable or huge spigot mortars.
my main problem with the RPG - it is easy to fail and we have other ways to spend our revision phase. Same goes to assault rifle but it has less chances to fail.
Magnetic mines have little chance to fail and would be useful pretty much everywhere. They would of course endanger soldiers a bit, but just think of the glory!

Anyway, we could join both the need of AT rocket launcher and mobile artillery and make single-shot rocket artillery that doubles as heavy RPG! It could be also used as regular rocket artillery if you pointed it high enough into sky!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 06, 2015, 08:45:41 am »

The first proximity fuzes, magnetic or otherwisd, were invented in 1940. Though early attempts did happen in the late thirties.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1608 on: August 06, 2015, 08:52:25 am »

The first proximity fuzes, magnetic or otherwisd, were invented in 1940. Though early attempts did happen in the late thirties.
Magnetic mines don't work on proximity fuzes, you just clamp it on enemy armor and pull the pin which ignites the fuse. Really just a grenade with magnets and shaped charge (or whatever) so it can stick to enemy tank and explode it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:54:56 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 06, 2015, 09:06:50 am »

I am going to propose a recoilless rifle
Spoiler:  AS-RR-AT27 (click to show/hide)

However, another thing is to be considered. The idea of rocket artillery was very well known at this time, since it is already an old tech, made obsolete only by better artillery. Now, proper rocket artillery wouldn't be much useful for the kind of thing we need. Useful in the mountains, for barrages, but useless in the jungle.
But I noticed that our mortar shell is explicitly described as acting like a rocket propelled grenade, so we have even more experience in the field.

vote for AS-RPG27
with the addendum that we use our existing experience on solid propellants ( which is in the tech list)

edit: by the way, we talk a lot. Our thread is twice their.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 06, 2015, 09:07:41 am »

Ow, like that. Minor misunderstanding there.

Having to stand next to the tank seems like a problem with that weapon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:29 am »

I am going to propose a recoilless rifle
Spoiler:  AS-RR-AT27 (click to show/hide)

However, another thing is to be considered. The idea of rocket artillery was very well known at this time, since it is already an old tech, made obsolete only by better artillery. Now, proper rocket artillery wouldn't be much useful for the kind of thing we need. Useful in the mountains, for barrages, but useless in the jungle.
But I noticed that our mortar shell is explicitly described as acting like a rocket propelled grenade, so we have even more experience in the field.

vote for AS-RPG27
with the addendum that we use our existing experience on solid propellants ( which is in the tech list)

edit: by the way, we talk a lot. Our thread is twice their.

Ah hey, I forgot we had solid propellents! Good call, voting for this to be mentioned!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1612 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:51 am »

Ow, like that. Minor misunderstanding there.

Having to stand next to the tank seems like a problem with that weapon.
Yes. But tanks have trouble of getting rid of things standing right next to them and those mines can be deployed from foxholes, trenches, from behind any sort of cover, they can even be dropped from trees on tanks, they can even be thrown (even if quite heavy) or turned into effective AT mines with some wire. After all, Germans employed them pretty well in WW2.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:38 am »

An assault rifle is a good idea but I doubt it will do much in the mountains, where their advantage is the range, maneuverability and firepower of their full machine guns.

I would suggest some kind of highly accurate single shot long range sniper rifle or a longer range mortar.

We could make an enormous radio tower in the plains, strong enough to broadcast over the entire island and disrupt radio use with modern jazz and propagandatruthful news.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:30 am »

An assault rifle is a good idea but I doubt it will do much in the mountains, where their advantage is the range, maneuverability and firepower of their full machine guns.
Their advantage in that area was called "small" in the battle report. It's not really a concern.

I would suggest some kind of highly accurate single shot long range sniper rifle or a longer range mortar.
A sniper rifle would indeed be useful, but an assault rifle is currently needed more. A longer range mortar wouldn't help. Our mortars have been able to outrange anything they've fielded in the mountains ever since we brought it up. Accuracy is the biggest concern and we can't fix that with a revision due to mortars being inherently inaccurate.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 06, 2015, 10:20:17 am »

What about a rifle grenade and a dedicated launcher?
Or a under barrel gun that fire our 20mm auto cannon shell with little rocket motors?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:46 am »

Well, two things are for certain. The first is that we need AT to clear out the mountains (we are starting to find tanks there, at their mines), and the second is that Andres is as obsessed as ever about smallarms.

Personally, I think rifle grenades are still a good idea (Mostly because they are simple enough to work and powerful enough to do something), but, well... Lets see what we have for weapons...

(editing this)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 06, 2015, 10:31:45 am »

We don't just need AT. The enemy can deploy every weapon he has in the mountains.

On a side note, I have a new crazy idea. How about we try to design an Autogyro. It's near VTOL, and an early predecessor to the helicopter.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1618 on: August 06, 2015, 10:35:12 am »

We don't just need AT. The enemy can deploy every weapon he has in the mountains.

On a side note, I have a new crazy idea. How about we try to design an Autogyro. It's near VTOL, and an early predecessor to the helicopter.
It could have some use later on, but right now autogyros would be useless. Not capable of being actually stable (so no guns really), not as fast as regular planes, with minor bombload at best, and it would be very vurneable to small arms fire and those pintle mounted machine guns. Bigger piorities right now and anything it can do, we can make plane do better.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 06, 2015, 10:37:53 am »

So, heres the list of stuff we got so far.

Generic:
1) AR in 6x36mm
2) Jungle boat
3) Flying boat bomber
4) Handheald AT weapon
5) better landmines

And not so generic:
4.2) AS-RPG27 (80mm rocket in a tube with a trigger, reusible, shaped charges)
1.2) AS-AR27 (AR in (assumed) standard rifle ammo. If not in rifle ammo, say so for once.)
1.3) AS-AR27 in 7.62x40mm instead of standard rifle ammo
1) AS-AR27(U) (AR in 6x36mm)
6) AS-1926-ICFV-AL (Unarmed AL troop carrier)
4.3) Andres rewrite of 4.2, shrinking the warhead.
4.4) AS-MAT27 (The PIAT 15 years ahead of schedule)
7) AS-HA1927 (130mm arty)
4.5) AS-RR-AT27 (recoilless rifle in 50mm)

So, in the end, we have:

Rocket propelled AT
 AS-RPG27 in 80mm
 AS-RPG27 in 50mm
 AS-MAT27 (PIAT ahead of time)
Other AT
 AS-RR-AT27 (recoilless rifle in 50mm)
 Funk thinking about rocket pistol.
 UR thinking about landmines
 AseaHeru thinking about rifle grenades

ARs
 AR in 6x36
 AR in standard rifle.
 AR in 7.62x40

Troop carriers
 Unarmed, nearly unarmored AL troop carrier

Arty
 130mm gun

Other things people thinking about
 Sniper rifle
 AT rifle
 Boat
 Flying boat bomber
 Autogyro

At this point I am thinking we should get the arty.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 217