Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158945 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1926 Design
« Reply #1440 on: August 05, 2015, 03:33:22 am »

So guys, what are we gonna do about these tanks? We could get a rocket launcher but that'd be risky. We could design a brand new tank with cheap fuel injection and turbocharger. That'll let us save the Revision phase for our planes. It's a poor use of our Design phase but we're dealing with a worst-case scenario. Other options might be idealistic.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: We're gonna need something to counter their assault rifles. Once they revise it and make it actually useful, we'll lose our edge in the Jungle and they'll be able to easily storm our trenches.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 05, 2015, 03:33:58 am »

Actually, we didn't loose all that much, surprisingly. They only pushed us out of the desert, and we actually gained ground in the mountains.

Biggest priority, of course, is getting those damn engines to not be so goddamn expensive. We could simply outright design an engine that incorporates fuel injection and turbo to get the maximum possible chance for cheap engines(with the bonus that we could plop them into every vehicle we have) or we can try again with another vehicle. Worst comes to worst, we revise our armored cars to mount our 50cm AT gun(making it like a Puma)

Given that, I'd prefer to make another vehicle and simply revise our armored cars if we really have to. So:

Spoiler: AS-SU26 (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 05, 2015, 03:38:51 am »

Actually, we didn't loose all that much, surprisingly. They only pushed us out of the desert, and we actually gained ground in the mountains.

Biggest priority, of course, is getting those damn engines to not be so goddamn expensive. We could simply outright design an engine that incorporates fuel injection and turbo to get the maximum possible chance for cheap engines(with the bonus that we could plop them into every vehicle we have) or we can try again with another vehicle. Worst comes to worst, we revise our armored cars to mount our 50cm AT gun(making it like a Puma)

Given that, I'd prefer to make another vehicle and simply revise our armored cars if we really have to. So:

Spoiler: AS-SU26 (click to show/hide)

No turbo, no fuel injector, no secondary weapon.  Make it the same 50mm on a turret we have on the other tank, we can then field it at expensive or maybe even inexpensive.  Then we redesign the fuel system on the other tank to get it less expensive.

That way we have a common light tank killer and maybe a very expensive medium tank.  The armored cars can make up for anti infantry needs of the tank.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 05, 2015, 03:39:24 am »

Our T15s accuracy problems was explicitly a result of the overly-large gun so mounting our artillery on another one is a Bad Idea. Our current tank cannon is pretty much perfect. It even comes with AP shells.

The current tank design is fine. Redesigning it should fix all its problems easily enough and that's what I think we should do. I'd still like to hear other suggestions, though.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:15 am »

Our T15s accuracy problems was explicitly a result of the overly-large gun so mounting our artillery on another one is a Bad Idea. Our current tank cannon is pretty much perfect. It even comes with AP shells.

The current tank design is fine. Redesigning it should fix all its problems easily enough and that's what I think we should do. I'd still like to hear other suggestions, though.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Umm, I'm explicitly trying to design an SPG, not a tank hunter. By including the engine we hae a chance of reducing costs...I think. Hold on, I need to PM sensei...
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:22 am »

Voting for the AS-SU26

It also resolves the lack of mobile artillery.

No turbo, no fuel injector
The idea is to improve the technology at the same time.

Make it the same 50mm on a turret we have on the other tank
Bad idea. Light armor means we need to outrange and overpower the enemy, or it will easily be destroyed.

Our T15s accuracy problems was explicitly a result of the overly-large gun so mounting our artillery on another one is a Bad Idea
It was a problem of the T15 being big, seeing as the artillery has no accuracy problems of it's own.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 05, 2015, 03:43:43 am »

Voting for the AS-SU26

It also resolves the lack of mobile artillery.

No turbo, no fuel injector
The idea is to improve the technology at the same time.

Make it the same 50mm on a turret we have on the other tank
Bad idea. Light armor means we need to outrange and overpower the enemy, or it will easily be destroyed.

Our T15s accuracy problems was explicitly a result of the overly-large gun so mounting our artillery on another one is a Bad Idea
It was a problem of the T15 being big, seeing as the artillery has no accuracy problems of it's own.

This. If the engine washes out again, we can revise our armored cars to mount the DT25, since that was the one part of the design that went perfectly

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 05, 2015, 03:43:59 am »

OK, we need to perfect our engine, the best way to do it - make engine using project for more experience, then revise engines again.

Design shallow draft coastal\river\swamps with a powerful internal combustion engine. It should be armed with a single 80mm gun, single 20mm gun and two 7.62 machine guns. Additionally  it  should host a squad of marine infantry for amphibious landings and\or boarding enemy ships.

It is action to push in jungles and get even more engine experience, before trying revising the tank again and not getting raped in plains

Or we can go more straightforward route(but I prefer boats, time to use our naval experience)

Design s light, cheap tank armed with 50mm gun, simple engine (that takes 2 oil) and anti-small arms RHA armor.

Who got the expense credit, BTW?

PS. Who said that AT 50mm gun has lower range than ancient 80mm gun?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:27 am »

OK, we need to perfect our engine, the best way to do it - make engine using project for more experience, then revise engines again.

Design shallow draft coastal\river\swamps with a powerful internal combustion engine. It should be armed with a single 80mm gun, single 20mm gun and two 7.62 machine guns. Additionally  it  should host a squad of marine infantry for amphibious landings and\or boarding enemy ships.

It is action to push in jungles and get even more engine experience, before trying revising the tank again and not getting raped in plains

Or we can go more straightforward route(but I prefer boats, time to use our naval experience)

Design s light, cheap tank armed with 50mm gun, simple engine (that takes 2 oil) and anti-small arms RHA armor.

Who got the expense credit, BTW?
Heh, actually, I'm torn between this and my SPG idea(both use the engine to try to get them cheaper). One the one hand, SPG would be at least limited usefulness for all fronts. On the other, we can really push the jungle with a gunboat/marine assault craft.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:16 am »

I am the most interested in - Are there any civilian naval shipping we can hurt? They don't have cargo vessels, but what about fishing boats and such?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 05, 2015, 03:52:32 am »

I am the most interested in - Are there any civilian naval shipping we can hurt? They don't have cargo vessels, but what about fishing boats and such?

If nothing else, we can bombard positions along the shores of the jungle and generally force them to divert resources to counter any landings we make. I'm starting to like this idea!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 05, 2015, 03:57:26 am »

We need to go navy sooner or later and this ship can give us powerful engine experience we need

It should allow flanking attacks on their desert and mobile artillery support in the plains (sadly only along the shore)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:00 am »

Sorry, thought you were designing a light tank. My bad. I doubt we actually need mobile artillery but it'll at least be of some help against their tanks. A redesign of our own tank would be less risky, though.

Primary vote is redesign our tank. Secondary vote is design the AS-SU26, but highest priority should go to its simplified fuel injection and turbo.

If nothing else, we can bombard positions along the shores of the jungle and generally force them to divert resources to counter any landings we make. I'm starting to like this idea!
No! Bad idea! We need to keep the Plains. We get 1 Ore and 1 Oil from it and that is a big tactical advantage. Our planes will become Very Expensive or National Efforts, our armoured cars will become Expensive, our tank will become Very Expensive assuming its complexity is fixed this year, and you can bet that mobile artillery will cost some.

We must not lose the Plains.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:47 am »

No flanking on the Desert. Our ships need to launch from a completely captured Jungle in order to do that.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 05, 2015, 04:00:54 am »

I didn't say I actually changed my vote now? :P The gunboat is for when we can afford to, but the idea is a good one.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 217