Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159053 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1917 Design
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2015, 07:07:26 am »

AS-TR-17
All-terrain diesel tractor designed to pull AS-1912 or anything of similar or lower weight including supplies. Several of them should be able to evacuate AS-T15 or captured enemy armor

My vote goes here. It will allow us to bring artillery to jungles and make AS-1912 little more useful in plains. Next turn, using gathered experience, we may design motorcycle or a proper light tank depending on situation on the front and our chances to get jungle oil.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:58:35 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2015, 07:14:06 am »

Voting for arty tractor.

Hey, we can always shove a gun on it. I think thats something a number of IRL arty tractors did.

Although... Perhaps we do need a rifle grenade... And saying that, here is my proposal.

Spoiler: AS-RG-17 (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:50 am »

If not oil deal I'd prefer mountain howitzer\raiilway gun\hand grenade\rifle grenade\many other ideas

But we have 1918, 1919 and 1920 years for using +1 oil. Designing non oil-consuming stuff is counterproductive.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:16 am »

My vote goes here. It will allow us to bring artillery to jungles and make AS-1912 little more useful in plains. Next turn, using gathered experience, we may design motorcycle or a proper light tank depending on situation on the front and our chances to get jungle oil.
With 2 Oil, the closest thing we can get to a "light tank" is an armoured car. Besides, the motorcycle will give us experience with petrol engines too.

Although... Perhaps we do need a rifle grenade... And saying that, here is my proposal.

Spoiler: AS-RG-17 (click to show/hide)
The only mention of the armoured cars in the last report is in the Jungle. While a rifle grenade would certainly help kill the ACs, they might be dangerous to use in the Jungle considering the grenades could hit trees and send shrapnel flying to the shooter. A 12.7mm rifle would be safe to operate, the 12.7mm rifle would help a lot in the Mountains, and the 12.7mm rifle could shoot through the armour of both the SPAT due to using such a large cartridge size. The 12.7mm round is even thicker than the Struunk's armour which is 8mm! Indeed, our metric-based 12.7mm would be superior in overall use than the imperial-based .60 cal. (Please forgive me oh glorious Arstotzka for previously using imperial units.)

Glory to Arstotzka.

But we have 1918, 1919 and 1920 years for using +1 oil. Designing non oil-consuming stuff is counterproductive.
Counter-productive is discarding a design for a less useful one simply because the less useful one can use more of our now plentiful supply of Oil. If it doesn't increase our performance, we shouldn't get into it just because we can afford it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:30:57 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:38 am »

Where the sodding hell do you get shrapnel from HEAT rounds? If it hits a tree, what would probably happen is it would cut the tree down with its charge.

And, from what I can tell, their TD has less armor than the armored car. This thing would have indirect-fire capabilities.

Also, screw 12.7. Round up! 20mm!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Production
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2015, 07:33:54 am »

A few words on things.
Steam.
Steam is safe, it much hared to set fire to coal than oil.

We can fit nozzles to fire super heated steam at any borderers.
Also steam can be used to blow up a steam screen.

Motorbikes
One motorbikes can carry 3 men at the most, a truck can carry 20.

Now designs
Spoiler: Thunder pistol Mk 1 (click to show/hide)
It's a grenade launcher side-arm.
It'll stop an armoured cars.

Spoiler: Trike AS-LV17 (click to show/hide)
In no way is that a stolen SdKfz 2.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2015, 07:38:41 am »

With 2 Oil, the closest thing we can get to a "light tank" is an armoured car. Besides, the motorcycle will give us experience with petrol engines too
Did you note that SPAT uses 3 ore and 2 oil? If we make something like Renault FT-17 it should be same or 2 ore, 2 oil
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:41:17 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 27, 2015, 07:39:54 am »

Motorbikes
Trucks use 2 Oil (meaning we can't use them after 1920), they can't do hit-and-run, they don't deliver messages as quickly, they can't scout, they can't be used in the Mountains (if they could then the Struunks would be there), they don't have as much off-road capability, and since they can't outrun the Struunks (they're trucks, after all), they'll get quickly shot down by them, unlike the bike which is faster and can escape.

Spoiler: Trike AS-LV17 (click to show/hide)
In no way is that a stolen SdKfz 2.
I'll support this if it's the only way to get a motorbike, but I prefer my design. Also, remove "Trike" from the name.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:50:02 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 27, 2015, 07:47:04 am »

V_engine? Guys? Common.... We are a backward nation in 1917 with zero engine experience.

Trucks will be less useful if oil will revert to 1, but far from being useless.  Same goes for artillery tractor or any oil 2 vehicle.

Idea that their armored cars will kill our trucks... What the hell their armored cars do behind our lines?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:48 am »

V_engine? Guys? Common.... We are a backward nation in 1917 with zero engine experience.
You're right. We should go for radar guided ammunition.

Trucks will be less useful if oil will revert to 1, but far from being useless.  Same goes for artillery tractor or any oil 2 vehicle.
Yup, from the description, our trucks reverting to expensive will mean that we still have a good number for support. As I said before, our artillery gained little from that.

Idea that their armored cars will kill our trucks... What the hell their armored cars do behind our lines?
Sure, not a problem now, but one of these days trench fighting is going to stop. What stopped it IRL either. Maybe we should watch out for that?

With 2 Oil, the closest thing we can get to a "light tank" is an armoured car. Besides, the motorcycle will give us experience with petrol engines too
Did you note that SPAT uses 3 ore and 2 oil? If we make something like Renault FT-17 it should be same or 2 ore, 2 oil
Nope. We can make a perfectly functional tank with 1 oil. A tank will use 3 oil, but it only becomes very expensive when the shortage is 3.

A few words on things.
Steam.
Steam is safe, it much hared to set fire to coal than oil.
Steam is not safe. Steam will sear the flesh of your bones, if the boiler is hit.

We can fit nozzles to fire super heated steam at any borderers.
Also steam can be used to blow up a steam screen.
I'm not sure how effective that'll be. On a side note, and file this under crazy projects, the original American Steam tank utilized it's steam engine to drive it's flamethrower.

Motorbikes
Sure, but we will have more motorbikes than trucks.

Anyway, I'm voting for the motorcycle. An artillery tractor is nice, but we simply don't have any heavy guns that need moving, and the trench warfare is slow enough that utilizing horses to move the small artillery works.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 27, 2015, 08:02:14 am »

Spoiler: Thunder pistol Mk 1 (click to show/hide)
It's a grenade launcher side-arm.
It'll stop an armoured cars.
Its also a hell of a lot more expensive than a rifle grenade and the blank needed to fire it. Also, I dont like the idea of using a pistol for a grenade launcher.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:13 am »

Anyway, I'm voting for the motorcycle. An artillery tractor is nice, but we simply don't have any heavy guns that need moving, and the trench warfare is slow enough that utilizing horses to move the small artillery works.
Which bike are you voting for? My one (conventional off-road) or Funk's (has treads instead of a back wheel)?

Glory to Arstotzka.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:44 am »

Just a thought... Why can't a motorcycle pull light artillery pieces instead of horses?

I vote for the motorcycle with such modification

The AS-LV17 is an off-road motorcycle. It has a space behind the rider seat that allows for another person to sit or to carry supplies (big enough for a machine gun or mortar). Preferably its engine should be strong enough to tow AS-1912  at least when moving on the road

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 27, 2015, 08:19:27 am »

I think they used that particular vehicle to haul around aircraft, so I dont see why not.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:42 am »

The AS-LV17 is an off-road motorcycle. It has a space behind the rider seat that allows for another person to sit or to carry supplies (big enough for a machine gun or mortar). Preferably its engine should be strong enough to tow AS-1912  at least when moving on the road
Better idea. The engine doesn't have to be strong enough to tow our Artillery A. Instead, we just have two motorbikes attached to the artillery. This lets us focus on other aspects of the design (making it cheap, for example) but still lets us tow around the artillery without issue. I will say that your idea was still really good. Kudos.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 217