Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159123 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Design
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2015, 02:22:32 am »

Tank :  Funk,
Artillery : UR, me, tryrar
Rifle grenade : Andres

Quite easily seen that the Tank did not win. Can we get something else than that piece of scrap metal.
Aseaheru and Hiddenleafguy also supported it. Mighta been another.

On that note, why do you get an overriding vote on the spy's actions?
As far as I know, I'm the only one submitting PMs. Besides that, I dunno, maybe because I've been working with them so much? Just guessing.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Revision
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2015, 02:28:34 am »

Only if you overinterpret their posts.

And I've voted each time. Sometimes agreeing, often not.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2015, 02:29:59 am »

Why did we go with the tank instead of the mountain artillery though? Pretty sure the latter had way more support.
Spies! Damned spies :) More serious answer - votes got swallowed by discussion and people (myself included) used bold for not votes.

I don't mind because I this tank is a useful experience and kind of long term investment. We need damned oil for proper tanks
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2015, 02:32:34 am »

I don't really think it's usefull experience. We got tracks from it, nothing more.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2015, 02:33:09 am »

Why did we go with the tank instead of the mountain artillery though? Pretty sure the latter had way more support.
Spies! Damned spies :) More serious answer - votes got swallowed by discussion and people (myself included) used bold for not votes.

I don't mind because I this tank is a useful experience and kind of long term investment. We need damned oil for proper tanks
The problem is that we need to capture both the Jungle and the Plains to get enough oil to power tanks. Forenia's Oil supply favours Moskurg, so I don't think mechanised warfare is really for us. What we do have is a lot of Ore, so bigger guns and stronger infantry armour is what we should focus on.

Glory to Arstotzka.

The following is outside of the Revision phase: Telephone High Command, asking for some guards to watch the research facility at night, citing the incident where our design for the mortar was nearly stolen had it not been for our spy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:36:30 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2015, 02:42:07 am »

Problem with big guns... they are bad for mountains\jungle. On other hand... Man-portable weapons mixed with artillery can work on all fronts. 

BTW, I change my vote from revised 80mm gun to revised machinegun to get update sooner

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2015, 03:13:24 am »

Quite easily seen that the Tank did not win. Can we get something else than that piece of scrap metal.
It would appear to me that it got four votes: Funk, Hiddenleafguy, Ukrainian Ranger and Andres.

The following is outside of the Revision phase: Telephone High Command, asking for some guards to watch the research facility at night, citing the incident where our design for the mortar was nearly stolen had it not been for our spy.
You speak to a representative, who simply says, "Your concerns have been noted." Days later, you receive a letter addressed "to some engineer who called" from the palace. It states that too many guards are currently assigned to the palace's Department 17, the purpose of which is not stated and unknown to you.

As people may have already guessed, I've been the one conducting our near omni-successful espionage operations (1914 was a failure but we didn't lose the spy). I've sent the spy to steal their Design phase and I just got word back that they're making an armoured car.
It's not just you, no.

Either way, you're stuck with the tank. Although not on the technology list, your engineers have some general tank progress that will benefit them in the future as well- and a little more when it's tested on the battlefield.

Now, it would appear that votes are in favor of revising the AS-1910 machine gun to use magazines. This will make a good way to test and improve detachable box magazines, but remember the AS-1910 is still bloody heavy.

AS-1910 Mag: This updated AS-1910 replaces a belt feed with a large 50-round detachable drum magazine, which fits to the side of the gun where the belt feed was. While not capable of continuous fire like belts, this requires less crew to manage. The two handles used to control the weapon are replaced with a pistol grip and overhead handle, which is a marginal improvement in control. The feed function is no longer Complex.

You've gained Detachable Magazines. The weapon is no longer Expensive, so you can field as many as you can crew (remember it takes two or three people still). It is, of course, also not tactically valuable for all soldiers to use these weapons instead of rifles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Production
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:38 am »

It would appear to me that it got four votes: Funk, Hiddenleafguy, Ukrainian Ranger and Andres.
I changed my vote to making a rifle grenade.

AS-1910 Mag: This updated AS-1910 replaces a belt feed with a large 50-round detachable drum magazine, which fits to the side of the gun where the belt feed was. While not capable of continuous fire like belts, this requires less crew to manage. The two handles used to control the weapon are replaced with a pistol grip and overhead handle, which is a marginal improvement in control. The feed function is no longer Complex.

You've gained Detachable Magazines. The weapon is no longer Expensive, so you can field as many as you can crew (remember it takes two or three people still). It is, of course, also not tactically valuable for all soldiers to use these weapons instead of rifles.
Wait, you say it still takes two two three people to crew it, but in the description of the Mag it says that it requires less crew to manage. Why would it need two to three crew when the bullets go into the gun by itself without issue?

Produce the AS-T15 and AS-1910 Mags. The normal belt feed will continue production and be used in places where the gun is not expected to move.

Glory to Arstotzka.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2015, 03:28:53 am »

I think it takes two to three people to carry it. 

Which means we should mount them on chariots pulled by motorcycles.

Or

The support could carry rifles to fire while the main gun is working.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2015, 03:33:50 am »

I changed my vote to making a rifle grenade.

and my last bolded post is here

For what we need 30mm of top armor?  Do you know that real life heavy WW2 Tiger tank had 26mm top armor?

In fact this tank is more or less immobile even with my armor scheme. 20mm forward, 15 mm sides, 10 mm rear\top\bottom has some chance to move using a steam engine.

I still vote for a mountain howitzer because it is useful on all fronts while this tank is a long term investment that we can't allow ourself.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2015, 03:36:29 am »

Which means we should mount them on chariots pulled by motorcycles.
Motorcycle chariots are an obviously bad idea.

Now that I think about it, though, we could totally design a bike and it wouldn't be Expensive at all. If we make it reliable, heat-resistant, and suitable for rough terrain, it'll give our troops much better mobility in both the Jungle and the Mountains. Our troops would be able to act as dragoons, in that case. Those with SMGs or double-barrelled shotguns can also do drive-bys.

The support could carry rifles to fire while the main gun is working.
This is an excellent point. A crew can move the gun into position, at which point the gunner can keep the enemy suppressed while the support can flank the enemy and destroy them. Very much in line with glorious Arstotzkan methodology and tactics.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2015, 03:44:22 am »

I think the next turn design should be either a 9mm submachinegun with a detachable magazine or 105mm howitzer with hydropneumatic suspension or light high velocity 35mm gun.

Oh and

Produce the AS-T15 and AS-1910 Mags. The normal belt feed will continue production and be used in places where the gun is not expected to move.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2015, 03:53:33 am »

Any decent SMG would sell well to the Europeans. With the extra funding, we could probably support another research facility which would certainly put us well above Moskurg.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2015, 03:56:12 am »

Wait, you say it still takes two two three people to crew it, but in the description of the Mag it says that it requires less crew to manage. Why would it need two to three crew when the bullets go into the gun by itself without issue?
Conventional doctrine allots a gunner, spotter, and a guy to chain belts or recharge magazine. These men also rotate operating the gun or replace wounded gunners (gunners are a high priority target).

Any decent SMG would sell well to the Europeans. With the extra funding, we could probably support another research facility which would certainly put us well above Moskurg.
Difficult to pull off, but a decent SMG in 1915 will not only sell well, it stands to upset history, or at least give it an uncomfortable shove.

Well, either that or stodgy generals won't see its value.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2015, 04:01:05 am »

What? UR stated 3 times he voted for the mortar, not the tank. Bolded even.

Either way, you're stuck with the tank. Although not on the technology list, your engineers have some general tank progress that will benefit them in the future as well- and a little more when it's tested on the battlefield.

I find that quite unfair, considering you made an error and are basically punishing us for that. You know that that tank is not worth it's weight in scrap

Now, it would appear that votes are in favor of revising the AS-1910 machine gun to use magazines. This will make a good way to test and improve detachable box magazines, but remember the AS-1910 is still bloody heavy.

What, again with doing something radically different then what was voted for. The point was to make it lighter, man portable and changing the user, not merely changing the feed system to make the gun less usefull.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:04:22 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 217