Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159214 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Design
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »

For what we need 30mm of top armor?  Do you know that real life heavy WW2 Tiger tank had 26mm top armor?

In fact this tank is more or less immobile even with my armor scheme. 20mm forward, 15 mm sides, 10 mm rear\top\bottom has some chance to move using a steam engine.

I still vote for a mountain howitzer because it is useful on all fronts while this tank is a long term investment that we can't allow ourself.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:27 pm »

So, lets say... 60mm front, 40mm side, 30mm top and rear, 20mm bottom?
More like 55mm front, 25mm side, 35mm top, 20mm rear, and 20mm bottom. We're unlikely to be hit from the sides by artillery and so long as the thickness is 20mm or more, infantry going around the rear to attack it won't be able to pierce it with their rifles. We also have to keep the weight down considering we're powering it with steam.

And armed with a 80mm cannon, and a pair of machine guns... I think we probably need another machine gun in the frontarc, since thats a giant blind spot for killing infantry... That or top mounted. Pintile mount perhaps?
We can have a pair of machine guns sticking out from the front corners. A pintle mount would just get the shooter killed by those in the trenches and we'd have to research that technology.

Glory to Arstotzka.

For what we need 30mm of top armor?  Do you know that real life heavy WW2 Tiger tank had 26mm top armor?

In fact this tank is more or less immobile even with my armor scheme. 20mm forward, 15 mm sides, 10 mm rear\top\bottom has some chance to move using a steam engine.
All sides need 20mm of armour minimum to defend against their rifles. We need the top armour to defend against their artillery.

EDIT: (Ok, looked up historical armour thickness and yeah we put way too much armour in our design.)

EDIT2:
Let's make it a bit more mobile than that. 18mm forward, 10mm sides/top, 6mm rear/bottom.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:59:42 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

Wait, its wheeled? Thats not the best...
It has dreadnaught or endless railway wheels, there simper than tracks.
Multiple hinged plates are attached to the outside of wheel, in turn each one supports the wheel helping it on soft or sandy ground.

So, lets say... 60mm front, 40mm side, 30mm top and rear, 20mm bottom?
We also have to keep the weight down considering we're powering it with steam.
The steam can move heavy loads, how much does a full train weigh?  much more than our tank will be.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2015, 09:00:44 pm »

As people may have already guessed, I've been the one conducting our near omni-successful espionage operations (1914 was a failure but we didn't lose the spy). I've sent the spy to steal their Design phase and I just got word back that they're making an armoured car. Next year we should make it a priority to research a grenade launcher unless we decide to do that this year.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Yeah, I think a grenade launcher is much higher priority than getting a tank. We can use the grenade launcher both against their armoured cars as well as in the trenches, plus they're surprisingly easy to do maintenance on so we can use them in the Jungle. When we do make a tank, we'd be able to arm them with grenade launchers. They're small enough and simple enough that we might be able to arm everyone with them.

Design the AS-RG15.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Rifle grenades are even simpler and were used in WW1. Changing the design.

EDIT3: If we're lucky, we might also get a standalone grenade design. That would significantly boost our ability to fight in the trenches. The rifle grenade itself might cause damage to our Nosins if we get a bad roll, but they shouldn't see much use except when attacking trenches or fighting off armoured cars. Even then, they have a carbine to use later on.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:59:54 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2015, 09:04:31 pm »

Car! ha
Arstotzka have tank we crush them like bear to a mouse.

Lets go for the tank.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2015, 09:12:29 pm »

Car! ha
Arstotzka have tank we crush them like bear to a mouse.

Lets go for the tank.

Glory to Arstotzka.
The tank is slow, armed with an un-turreted artillery piece, and its machine guns presumably wouldn't be able to penetrate their armoured cars. The AS-RG15 would make destroying them childs-play.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Getting the design for the armoured car might give us a better roll when designing the tank, so we should definitely wait until we do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:14:57 pm by Andres »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »

The steam can move heavy loads, how much does a full train weigh?  much more than our tank will be.
There are a reason why trains use rails to move :) If you want an armored train, than it will work. If you want to move it through plains.... It is damn too heavy. IRL steam tank had 13mm of armor, 500hp engine and had top speed of 6 km\h

I think tanks is a bad course of action because our enemy has machineguns that will kill any realistic early tank. I suggest to get that mountain howitzer and modify our machinegun in revision phase.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2015, 09:18:34 pm »

I think tanks is a bad course of action because our enemy has machineguns that will kill any realistic early tank. I suggest to get that mountain howitzer and modify our machinegun in revision phase.
What do you suggest to do about their armoured cars? Mortars, artillery, and howitzers wouldn't be effective against them because they're too fast. Not a single one of our guns would be effective since they all use 7.76mm and they're likely armouring it to defend against exactly that. A rifle grenade would not only solve that easily, it would give us a boost in the trenches and possibly the other theatres as well. Developing a rifle grenade might also give us a standalone grenade.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:46 am »

How about  this?

AS-T15
The first of Arstotzka's glorious fighting engines.

An armoured shell made from the finest Arstotzkan steel. It has 55mm forward armor, 40mm side, 25mm rear and top, 10mm bottom

Fitted with 6 dreadnought wheels, the rear pair are driven by the the mighty AS-51 Superheated steam engine.
Armed with a single forward facing AS-1912 Artillery gun(capable of traversing 15 degrees) and a pair of AS-1910 Machine Guns in side turrets.

Traversable turret for 80mm gun is very complex stuff and while we only need to fire forward because we will move to assault enemy trenches. On other hand, machineguns need to fire in all directions because enemy infantry can get behind it
The AS-T15 should use tracks instead of wheels.

Alright, I'm pretty sure this is what we're shooting for. Gonna be a lot of dice rolls. May Random.org be with you.

AS-T15: This is a steam-powered tank using the AS-51 S steam motor from Arstotzka's steam locomotive. In fact, it's mostly the enormous locomotive engine, which a rectangular armored shell. The armor is shaped in a half-cylinder, like an airplane hangar, except the front is cut at a 45 degree angle. Exit is through a hatch on top, which breaks up the smooth shape of the tank along with a couple chimneys. The armor is 20mm throughout. The only open space inside is towards the front of the tank, the engine is located in back and the sides along the engine are used for storing coal. The front of the tank has a gunner on the right side firing an 80mm cannon with a narrow, tank destroyer-like arc of fire. There isn't room for a lot of ammo. The driver sits in the left front, and there is an AS-1910 gunner on each side aiming through slats in the armor. Packed in between all of these people is a coal shoveler. The tracks are set on six rigid train wheels and follow a flat shape on the bottom of the tank, with a large wheel in the front and back. The tank becomes incredibly hot inside due to the coal boiler, hot enough to cause weapon malfunctions and heatstroke. It can exceed 50 degrees celsius in prolonged use, and the soldiers assigned to test it nickname it "The pressure cooker". Being mostly engine, it can reach 13 kph. The track system is complex, and the machine uses a great amount of material, which combine to make it Very Expensive.

Revision time! Could you guys label all your votes in Bold? It will save me a lot of time tallying up after long discussions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:20:36 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Revision
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2015, 01:06:15 am »

Oh, no new technologies from this thing :(

My revision suggestion but not a vote yet.
Try to improve the 80mm field gun in attempt to increase its muzzle velocity (increasing range, penetration and accuracy)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2015, 01:15:28 am »

Hrmm... Revise our machine gun or revise our carbine...

I vote that we revise our carbine, focusing on improving handling and reliability, particularly in hot, damp areas.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:37:03 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:05 am »

Oh, no new technologies from this thing :(

Try to improve the 80mm field gun in attempt to increase its muzzle velocity (increasing range, penetration and accuracy)
There should be techs, actually. Armored vehicles, I don't think you had already, and Treads.

If you're improving the field gun, trying that hydropneumatic suspension wouldn't be a bad idea. I assume it's supposed to be for a recoil mechanism, not just go on the carriage, right? I never did ask.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2015, 01:30:27 am »

Revise 80mm gun by adding hydropneumatic suspension to its recoil mechanism. Secondary objective is to its increase muzzle velocity. Increased weight is acceptable but the gun should not take more space inside AS-T15

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2015, 02:04:52 am »

I think the design with the most votes was the howitzer, but I'm not sure.

Hrmm... Revise our machine gun or revise our carbine...

I vote that we revise our carbine, focusing on improving handling and reliability, particularly in hot, damp areas.
We're losing entirely because Moskurg got a portable machine gun. If we revise our own, we can not only match that but exceed it due to using mags, plus it opens up SMGs for us entirely.

Revise machine gun to use mags instead of belt feed, thus simplifying it and making it light enough for one person to carry. Swap double-grip with pistol grip.

Glory to Arstotzka.

(Did we get any new technologies from designing the tank?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:11:48 am by Andres »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2015, 02:18:40 am »

What do you suggest to do about their armoured cars? Mortars, artillery, and howitzers wouldn't be effective against them because they're too fast. Not a single one of our guns would be effective since they all use 7.76mm and they're likely armouring it to defend against exactly that. A rifle grenade would not only solve that easily, it would give us a boost in the trenches and possibly the other theatres as well. Developing a rifle grenade might also give us a standalone grenade.
Our artillery should work perfectly fine. It's an 80 mm direct LOS gun, with a high firerate, and a single shot should take out the enemy. Also, it's a trench ridden battlefield. They won't get anywhere soon with their automobile.

Why did we go with the tank instead of the mountain artillery though? Pretty sure the latter had way more support.

I mean, as far as I can see, this are the votes:

Tank :  Funk,
Artillery : UR, me, tryrar
Rifle grenade : Andres

Quite easily seen that the Tank did not win. Can we get something else than that piece of scrap metal.

As people may have already guessed, I've been the one conducting our near omni-successful espionage operations (1914 was a failure but we didn't lose the spy). I've sent the spy to steal their Design phase and I just got word back that they're making an armoured car.

On that note, why do you get an overriding vote on the spy's actions?

Votes :

Revise the machine gun
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 217