Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159046 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1913 Production
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2015, 06:05:35 pm »

Now that they're not unreliable(hopefully!), produce more artillery, and keep issuing rifles to everyone. also try to get more mortars
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »

Now that they're not unreliable(hopefully!), produce more artillery, and keep issuing rifles to everyone. also try to get more mortars
We're already doing that.

Produce AS-U13.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:18:38 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2015, 11:45:39 pm »

Next turn: Psychological warfare via artillery launched leaflets.
Look here for its bomber-dropped counterpart.

An idea for a message: "Arstotzka has developed super-artillery weapon. Can fire all the way to Moskurg; All the way to Wife and Children. :)"
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2015, 02:57:35 am »

Seems to be going to be rather ineffective at a time where the enemy is actually winning in the plains.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2015, 02:59:26 am »

It might also boost their morale considering they have the Fierce trait.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2015, 03:00:44 am »

Just something for later consideration, I guess.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1914 Design
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2015, 04:15:43 am »

Hmm, not a bad result for us overall. Their machineguns are just too stupidly expensive to deploy at the moment, which gives us a huge advantage, and while they now have some parity with our rifles, their support weapons suck. So let's not let up on that.

Two proposals:

I revive my suggestion for a 105mm breach-loading pack howitzer for heaver bombardmant and the ability to be disassembled and carried by a squad of troops and reassembled in situ.

OR

We try to create the first armor, a simple armored car with a 75hp diesel engine(with an electric pre-heater for operating in cold temperatures) and enough armor to stop 15mm bullets and shrapnel at a reasonable range, and armed with a bow-mounted machinegun as well as a turret machinegun. Alternatively we can go for a modified turret-mounted 80mm cannon tuned for firing low velocity HE shells for clearing trenches and bunkers

I'd prefer the howitzer as that has less chance of failing or being a mess, but I'll support the armored car if we can get support behind it
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2015, 04:30:16 am »

The armoured car is a bad idea. Having 2 Ore, vehicles are Expensive. Having 1 Ore, anything more than a motorbike is Expensive. Together, this armoured car would be Very Expensive.

The howitzer is certainly a better idea, but our mortar already gives us an edge in the artillery department. Moskurg only managed to close the gap with us in the Jungle from having a weapon with a faster rate of fire, as well as being better suited to warm weather. Warm weather design is not a priority at the moment since only one of our fronts needs it, and so I say we say we should focus on rate of fire, being useful in both the Jungle and the trenches. I'll say now, though, that equipping our Nosins with scopes will be necessary soon, since now Moskurg knows that sharpshooting is most important in the Mountains.

Design the AS-F14
Spoiler: AS-F14 (click to show/hide)

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:27:16 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:30 am »

The armoured car is a bad idea. Having 2 Ore, vehicles are Expensive. Having 1 Ore, anything more than a motorbike is Expensive. Together, this armoured car would be Very Expensive.

The howitzer is certainly a better idea, but our mortar already gives us an edge in the artillery department. Moskurg only managed to close the gap with us in the Jungle from having a weapon with a faster rate of fire, as well as being better suited to warm weather. Warm weather design is not a priority at the moment since only one of our fronts needs it, and so I say we say we should focus on rate of fire, being useful in both the Jungle and the trenches. I'll say now, though, that equipping our Nosins with scopes will be necessary soon, since now Moskurg knows that sharpshooting is most important in the Mountains.

Design the AS-F14
Spoiler: AS-F14 (click to show/hide)

Glory to Arstotzka.

Not a bad idea actually. I say more specifically it should use a long-stroke gas piston recoil system for operation(same as the M1 Garand).

Another idea would be to make a machine gun with more stopping power(as a mirror to what the other thread is doing, namely cutting down their ridiculous .60 cal machineguns into a more sensible .30cal machinegun).

AS-1914 12mm machinegun. A heavier, belt fed machinegun designed to fire a 12x100mm cartridge operated using a short recoil operation mechanism. It is designed to be water-cooled and/or air-cooled, and with interchangeable barrels and the ability to break down into a couple pieces and be humped by a machinegun element. Comes with its own tripod and folding iron sights

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2015, 04:50:17 am »

(I'm not sure if we're supposed to look at Moskurg's thread. I certainly haven't.)

A heavier machine gun is not what we should focus on assuming our focus is on machine guns. Making it lighter, more portable, and operable by one person would go much further into improving its usability. Due to using such a small round for a machine gun, I think if we simplify the belt feed mechanism (making it lighter) and put the belt in a box magazine, we could turn our HMG into an LMG without any drop-off in performance, or even a major redesign.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:52:54 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2015, 04:54:59 am »

(I'm not sure if we're supposed to look at Moskurg's thread. I certainly haven't.)

A heavier machine gun is not what we should focus on assuming our focus is on machine guns. Making it lighter, more portable, and operable by one person would go much further into improving its usability. Due to using such a small round for a machine gun, I think if we simplify the belt feed mechanism (making it lighter) and putting the belt in a box magazine, we could turn our HMG into an LMG without any drop-off in performance, or even a major redesign.

Glory to Arstotzka.

....7.62mm counts as an hmg? Whaaa?

but anyways, the reason I wanted a heavier round is for the jungle where its stopping power would be useful...and the fact the larger round flies out much further with more killing power at range, which should be useful at all fronts.

But out of all the proposals so far, I'll go with the rifle, then my howitzer.

Also, I say that rifle should use a slightly longer cartridge(maybe by 10cm or so) for just that extra bit of velocity, which translates to stopping power, accuracy, and range.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2015, 05:00:25 am »

The 1910 is a HMG not because of its round size, but because it's a machine gun that needs three people to carry it.

but anyways, the reason I wanted a heavier round is for the jungle where its stopping power would be useful...and the fact the larger round flies out much further with more killing power at range, which should be useful at all fronts.
Jungles are tricky to navigate, though, and being able to move around our machine guns would surely give us a manoeuvrability advantage. Keep in mind that we'd also have to research the larger rounds - something that could introduce bugs in the design.

Also, I say that rifle should use a slightly longer cartridge(maybe by 10cm or so) for just that extra bit of velocity, which translates to stopping power, accuracy, and range.
We already have the Nosin-Magant for power, accuracy, and range. The gun I proposed is meant for medium to close quarters combat only - an area we're quite lacking in. As I said before, having to research a new bullet type could introduce bugs we'd have to sort out.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:17:55 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2015, 05:15:25 am »

The 1910 is a HMG not because of its round size, but because it's a machine gun that needs three people to carry it.

Jungles are tricky to navigate, though, and being able to move around our machine guns would surely give us a manoeuvrability advantage. Keep in mind that we'd also have to research the larger rounds - something that could introduce bugs in the design.

We already have the Nosin-Magant for power, accuracy, and range. The gun I proposed is meant for medium to close quarters combat only - an area we're quite lacking in. As I said before, having to research a new bullet type could introduce bugs we'd have to sort out.

....OH! you're talking about something like an M1 carbine! Basically, a light, easy to use and cheap rifle for medium to short range for support troops(like our mortar and artillery crews) and for guys engaged in clearing bunkers and trenches-basically something that weighs less than a full-sized rifle while still having acceptable range and accuracy. I can get behind that.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2015, 05:25:59 am »

....OH! you're talking about something like an M1 carbine! Basically, a light, easy to use and cheap rifle for medium to short range for support troops(like our mortar and artillery crews) and for guys engaged in clearing bunkers and trenches-basically something that weighs less than a full-sized rifle while still having acceptable range and accuracy. I can get behind that.
(I was actually thinking of the M1 Garand, but the carbine seems like a more appropriate choice. Thankfully they both use 7.62mm. Editing post containing the description.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:27:41 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2015, 05:40:23 am »

Yeah, an M1 Garand is a full-sized rifle that would have a similar role as the Mosin, only semi-auto instead of bolt action :P. What you were thinking of was a carbine
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 217