Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158857 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1911 Design
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 04:10:10 am »

So, our current problems :

- Close Combat encounters
     - Hard to use sidearm
- Mountain Fighting
- Hot weather fighting
- Resource supply

While Artillery is nice, I don't think it's going to help with any of these. I mean, it'll be too heavy to utilize in the Jungle or Mountains, and a cannon is not good in close quarter combat, except by eliminating the close quarters in question.
It's true, while mortars can help soften up the enemy they'll still beat us. Our poor-quality pistols just can't stand up against them.

We actually do well in mountain fighting, it's just that capturing the actual mines are difficult due to enemy machine guns. Considering we still have more Ore than them, a stalemate in this area is acceptable.

Hot weather fighting is certainly a problem but we're a far cry from invading Moskurg and honestly, what do we have to gain from the swamp?

To further improve our resource supply we'll need more transports which means more Oil. We can hope that our developments this time helps us get some or we can build a better oil pump, but I think our short-range crisis is more urgent.

Design a fragmentation hand grenade. When our soldiers get to the trenches, they can throw these easily beforehand and kill many Moskurgs. It can also be used in urban areas to clear rooms. We can revise it later if we have to, but if we get lucky we can instead revise our pistol.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:19:16 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:43 am »

If we design a grenade now, I propose we use our revision to instead aid with resource production.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 04:19:01 am »

What would we revise?

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 04:21:37 am »

I'd assume our steam locomotives. If we install preheaters or conduit engines, we can increase fuel efficiency dramatically (20% at least), while increasing performance and reducing track damage. In addition, preheating tech can also impact local energy production, and should thus free up additional oil, assuming we use oil-fired power stations.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:04 am »

+1 to simple grenade
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 10:10:12 am »

Shouldnt we wait for the battle results, to see what are our weak points?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:01 am »

Battle results are in the OOC thread.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 11:26:33 am »

Indeed. Well, the good news is that they will have to spend their revision phase on their locomotives engines.

I think some kind of light, reliable tube mortar would be a fine addition. An equivalent to the Stokes mortar is can be carried up a mountain, doesnt jam in the heat, is cheap and would be a good addition to trench warfare. Let us blow their stallion!

I also think we should think up a better naming scheme. We can use the revision phase to either improve our sidearm (make it an autopistol?) or our ressources.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:12 pm »

Okay so I see 2 courses of action that we can take:

1) design an arty or mortar type weapon and then revise our pistol in hopes of closing the Close Combat gap we're currently facing.
2) design a grenade for a bigger CC gap closer, and revise our steam engine to keep up economically.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 12:08:03 pm »

Well, the economy doesn't seem that important so far. Also, we can hope to make enough gains in the mountains to get extra ore.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »

Mortars would help with trench warfare aswell, what with plunging fire... I support the mortar and improving pistol project.

(also, how the hell is fragmentation grenades not a thing in the world at large? They where aground before the civil war, albeit mostly improvised)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:54:58 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 01:38:03 pm »

Yup. Speaking about improvising, the mortar shell can make a decent improvized grenade.

+1 for infantry mortar

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 02:46:10 pm »

It looks like the majority are in favor of a light mortar. Time to start the fireworks!

AS-1911 8cm Mortar: This is a light mortar, consisting of a simple tube mounted on a tripod, and mortar shells which are dropped into the tube and fire off when they hit the bottom. The shells themselves are the more important part of the weapon. They are sort of like rocket-propelled grenades, consisting of a metal shell around some explosive, and a primer and propellant at the back. The explosives themselves are a young technology though, the shells don't fly very far and occasionally misfire, lying undetonated or exploding early.

You have gained the technology Mortars, Solid Explosives and Propellants [Unreliable]

You may now revise!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1911 Revision
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:28 pm »

The explosives themselves are a young technology though, the shells don't fly very far and occasionally misfire, lying undetonated or exploding early.

That should lead to some high levels of !FUN!

okay three things that I would consider revised:

1) Revise the pistol to jam less and be more reliable
2) Revise the Steam engine to be more efficient
3) Revise the mortar to be less... explody

All three are pretty important in my mind. We definitely need to close the Close Combat advantage they currently have, but I worry that if they upgrade their steam engine they'll start gaining an economic advantage.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:54:13 pm by Knave »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1911 Revision
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »

Lets deal with these mortar rounds first. Because, well, this just isint safe.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 217