Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159386 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Design
« Reply #1875 on: August 09, 2015, 08:39:27 am »

Turbochargers also allow planes to get to higher altitude.
and making the engine smaller while adding a turbocharger is a way to make it consume less.

However, if we don't get a cheap turbocharger out of that, we haven't actually increased the number of planes we have ( although we might have improved their performance a bit)

edit: I was thinking... why don't we order to start building a road in the mountains? of course it wouldn't lead straight to their mines, but maybe we can get equipment a bit closer. In the jungle, both sides did exactly that, with roads being cut as armies advanced.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:41:01 am by andrea »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 09, 2015, 08:42:04 am »

Going to bed now. If I find that you guys have wasted our Revision turn on a god damn boat, I'm going to be a bit upset. Revising our SMG or our uniform to include ghillie suits will help us more in the Jungle than a god damn boat. Revising our tank to be cheaper will help us more in the Jungle than a god damn boat. Getting more aerial bombardment will help us more in the Jungle than a god damn boat. Point being, don't bother with any god damn boats.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:15 am »

Here is my revision proposal.

Spoiler: AS-CV22-A (click to show/hide)

The A stand for Andres, because hes such a fan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 09, 2015, 08:49:32 am »

I propose to revise our boat to carry planes. Clearly, that is what we must do right now.

or revise it to load more cargo! we can revise that boat so much!

more seriously

+1 RPG, using our solid propellant tech and our grenade experience. Primary role anti-tank, secondary anti infantry. Focus on reliability, range and accuracy. Aim to keep it expensive at most.Aluminium when possible to keep it man light ( it is just a tube anyway). In case it is not clear, it must be man portable.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:55 am »

You know what, I'm going to be silly. I had the idea of developing new types of ammunition and other such things, but I've decided to come up with this.

Spoiler: AS-A19C-AB (click to show/hide)

On a slightly less silly note:

Spoiler: AS-CV22-CAM (click to show/hide)

We're going to need this if we want to break through the Jungle. Which we don't, but anyway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:36 am »

Can we fit revising AS19C into a hydroplane variant and revising our cargo ship to be a poor man aircraft carrier in one revision action?  Because it can work rather well.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1881 on: August 09, 2015, 09:15:38 am »

I oppose RPG design because reasons, wasting a design on something that could be done by revision isin't fun.
You know, getting our planes to have turbochargers could be rather useful
revising them to have turbochargers is counter-productive.
Holy shit, you really change your opinion very often.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: August 09, 2015, 09:20:06 am »

We don't need a CHEAP RPG. It will do us more harm then good. Stop this obsession with getting cheap weapons. Especially when we try to design something ahead of time

Design an RPG with a target cost Very expensive with focus on quality

One tube per several squads is enough to deal with enemy tanks on a small scale.

wasting a design on something that could be done by revision isin't fun
What do you want to revise to get 15 years ahead tech?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:17 am »

I don't think we can get a proper RPG by revising our mortar. Not to the degree of effectiveness we want. For similar reasons to why we had to use different design actions for different guns: while the way they function is similar, the designs are different enough that a revision doesn't cut it.

as for it being cheap: that idea was shot down a few pages ago. However, I am not sure targeting very expensive is a good idea, since if we overshot we only get a fancy prototype. expensive seems a safer target.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:15 am »

I oppose RPG design because reasons, wasting a design on something that could be done by revision isin't fun.
We need to design a new solid propellant that can be used for controlled burns, we need to figure out how to do controlled burns, we have to stabilise the rocket using fins, we've got to figure out how exactly the RPG is reloaded, we need to design the basic shape of the RPG (including how we trigger the rocket to start rocketing), and we have to determine how the shape of the warhead will affect aerodynamics. This is not something we can do in a mere Revision phase.

You know, getting our planes to have turbochargers could be rather useful
revising them to have turbochargers is counter-productive.
Holy shit, you really change your opinion very often.
I apologise for changing my opinion whenever new facts and points of view appear. Truly I am the worst person and an utter hypocrite.

We don't need a CHEAP RPG. It will do us more harm then good. Stop this obsession with getting cheap weapons. Especially when we try to design something ahead of time
Dude, all of us - including myself - are saying that we should absolutely NOT try to make a cheap RPG.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:29:18 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: August 09, 2015, 09:31:23 am »

I don't think we can get a proper RPG by revising our mortar. Not to the degree of effectiveness we want. For similar reasons to why we had to use different design actions for different guns: while the way they function is similar, the designs are different enough that a revision doesn't cut it.

as for it being cheap: that idea was shot down a few pages ago. However, I am not sure targeting very expensive is a good idea, since if we overshot we only get a fancy prototype. expensive seems a safer target.

I'm supportive of a cost target of Expensive. I'm NOT supportive of a cost target of Very Expensive.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: August 09, 2015, 09:32:54 am »

expensive = every squad will have it. Way too ambitious for my tastes

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:36 am »

A successful RPG prototype was made in 1918. The project was only stopped because the war ended 5 days after the successful RPG prototype was made. We're not ahead of our time.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:46 am »

expensive = every squad will have it. Way too ambitious for my tastes

....you think that'll be ambitious? Given how simple the weapon is, that should be doable. And if we overshoot into Very Expensive, that's fine since we simply send all we have into the mountains to break the stalemate there. If we target Very Expensive and overshoot into National Effort though, we'll have a big problem. It's fine to be a bit ambitious in this case as ending up Very Expensive isn't too bad, but being more expensive than that is VERY bad.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: August 09, 2015, 09:38:20 am »

Ironic how being ambitious actually increases the chance of success of the project.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 217