Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158833 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1927 Design
« Reply #1590 on: August 06, 2015, 07:38:47 am »

I think we're doing good with fast moving vehicles for the moment. Our tank is fast, our armored personnel carrier is fast, our artillery can be relatively fast, if towed. Only thing that is slow is our soldiers, unless they get on a vulnerable bike.

Spoiler: AS-1926-ICFV-AL (click to show/hide)

The advantage of the APC is that's mostly impenetrable for their smallish arms.

About mountain artillery, that was a real thing. It works by making the gun dissassembelable in many parts, each of which can be carried individually.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 06, 2015, 07:47:06 am »

what about portholes along the sides for individual firearms, so the fellows inside can stick out their gun and shoot people!

more seriosuly, that sounds like a great help in the jungle, possibly plains/desert too.

I am still partial toward a recoilless rifle. Mountain artillery is a great thought, but it wouldn't help at all in the jungle.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 06, 2015, 07:51:09 am »

We haven't received any reports stating that our current landmines are lacking
At the very least we lack AT mine. And look at description of our landmine. It is very primitive, we can create something better.

Anyway I am voting for 6mm*36mm full automatic rifle but I am not married to it. If someone will propose an interesting AT weapon or vehicle I will switch a vote.

Note that we can use expense credit on handheld AT, letting us to sweep through jungles and mountains.
______________-

APC carrier can add more mobility to our infantry... but it needs more punch to benefit from mobility. and it is useless in mountains. It is nice for future, but not for now.

BTW, I am little confused. Can we produce(expensive) radios this turn? We never got a message stating that. Instead it is - " Both of these are pretty complicated and might require some extra work to replicate"
Looks like we can't produce them without designing\revising.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1593 on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:12 am »

Um, hello, yes?
I don't know if I'm in position to do that but...
What about napalm? This could easily turn any Jungle into hell and when used against vehicles, things, like tanks, may get very hot.
Or actually, why don't we arm all our soldiers with matchboxes and tell them to start some fires?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 06, 2015, 07:54:38 am »

Spoiler: ASRPG27 (click to show/hide)
This needs refinement. Allow me.

Design the AS-RPG27.
Spoiler: AS-RPG27 (click to show/hide)
Highest priorities: Getting it to Very Expensive at most in terms of cost and reliability.
An 80mm rocket launcher is overkill and would increase the weight of the RPG too much. It would also need a better propellant to carry it so it would increase its complexity. Our 50mm cannons have no issue piercing their armour and neither will 50mm rocket launchers. If you were curious, the RPG-7 is a 40mm rocket launcher.

I think we're doing good with fast moving vehicles for the moment. Our tank is fast, our armored personnel carrier is fast, our artillery can be relatively fast, if towed. Only thing that is slow is our soldiers, unless they get on a vulnerable bike.

Spoiler: AS-1926-ICFV-AL (click to show/hide)

The advantage of the APC is that's mostly impenetrable for their smallish arms.
I watched Pentagon Wars when someone linked to it and I too was inspired to suggest an APC. After some thought, I deemed it useless.
There's no room for it to manoeuvre in the Jungle except on roads. On roads, it'll get destroyed by an enemy tank.
It's a wheeled vehicle and so can't be used in the Mountains.
In the Desert, it would get destroyed by precision artillery fire thanks to our enemy's radios. Also, infantry doesn't matter in the Desert.

BTW, I am little confused. Can we produce(expensive) radios this turn? We never got a message stating that. Instead it is - " Both of these are pretty complicated and might require some extra work to replicate"
Looks like we can't produce them without designing\revising.
It's a National Effort for us due to its complexity and its being a stolen design.

Um, hello, yes?
I don't know if I'm in position to do that but...
What about napalm? This could easily turn any Jungle into hell and when used against vehicles, things, like tanks, may get very hot.
Or actually, why don't we arm all our soldiers with matchboxes and tell them to start some fires?
Our mortars are equipped with incendiary rounds. If it was possible to start a giant fire in the Jungle they would've done so already.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:56:18 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: August 06, 2015, 07:59:00 am »

Well, any non-crappy AT weapon will require shaped charges anyways, so there is some risk.

Ohh, idea! How about a spigot mortar like the PIAT?

Spoiler: AS-MAT27 (click to show/hide)

What's even better about this? We already have mortar tech, so it's probably just a matter of getting shaped charges :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:11 am »

It's not man-portable, it requires entrenchment or preparation to work properly (based on this picture), and it's a dead end technology.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1597 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:34 am »

Our mortars are equipped with incendiary rounds. If it was possible to start a giant fire in the Jungle they would've done so already.
Out them on planes then. This way we could easily disable vehicles, destroy enemy supplies, kill infantry, cause terror and stop them from trying to use pintle mounted guns or whathever they devise as anti aicraft weapon.

And since most of people seem to speak about AT weapons, why just don't go with magnetic mines or something similar to that? After all, aren't we supposed to ambush them?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: August 06, 2015, 08:07:34 am »

It's not man-portable, it requires entrenchment or preparation to work properly (based on this picture), and it's a dead end technology.

...umm what? The PIAT only weighed 15kg, easily carted around by a man. Sure it wasn't recoiless and tended to bruise up the shoulder of the guy firing it, and it doesn't give us rockets, but it gives us an AT weapon NOW that we can be reasonably sure we'll get(barring not getting hollow charges :P)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 06, 2015, 08:10:02 am »

my main problem with the RPG - it is easy to fail and we have other ways to spend our revision phase. Same goes to assault rifle but it has less chances to fail.

the PIAT only weighed 15kg
Late WW2, man, late WW2.

Early WW2 spigot mortar was something like 60kg
Ours have all chances to be 120 kg.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:42 am »

Well, I do believe we should revise the radio in our revision action.

Which leaves us to decide where exactly we want to hit our enemies. Capturing the mountains will be hard, even if we get an anti tank weapon. The enemy gets all their normal weaponry there, while we get only man portable equipment. So, not merely tanks, but also other heavy weaponry.

Keeping the Jungle is nice, but I wouldn't consider it a priority. Furthering a push on the desert front would be nice.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:03 am »

Alright, fair enough. I vote for Andres' refinement to my design, unless my spigot mortar takes off.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 06, 2015, 08:15:44 am »

Out them on planes then. This way we could easily disable vehicles, destroy enemy supplies, kill infantry, cause terror and stop them from trying to use pintle mounted guns or whathever they devise as anti aicraft weapon.
Our dive bombers probably have incendiary bombs. If incendiary ammo was as useful as you think, it would show up more in the battle reports. They don't so apparently it's not.

And since most of people seem to speak about AT weapons, why just don't go with magnetic mines or something similar to that? After all, aren't we supposed to ambush them?
Magnets? That would be an entirely new tech for us. High chance of failure. An RPG would also let us ambush them.

...umm what? The PIAT only weighed 15kg, easily carted around by a man. Sure it wasn't recoiless and tended to bruise up the shoulder of the guy firing it, and it doesn't give us rockets, but it gives us an AT weapon NOW that we can be reasonably sure we'll get(barring not getting hollow charges :P)
Perhaps man-operable was the better word. It works most efficiently when used by multiple people. We already wasted a design phase on something overly unambitious (the tank destroyer) so let's not do it again. Besides, the only new tech we're developing is rocketry. It shouldn't be that difficult considering our vast experience with explosives.

my main problem with the RPG - it is easy to fail and we have other ways to spend our revision phase. Same goes to assault rifle but it has less chances to fail.
I'm willing to go with either an assault rifle or an RPG.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:07 am »

I don't see why we should :

It's a highly complex design.
It solves none of the issues we have. (We have more than enough ways to blow up their tanks.

If we're going to reverse engineer the radio, it might be a good idea to develop a new ranged artillery weapon. If it's mobile, we can use it in the Jungle to great effect.

Magnets? That would be an entirely new tech for us. High chance of failure. An RPG would also let us ambush them.

Like the shaped charge, it's ww2 era tech. Without the shaped charge, the weapon will be highly underwhelming.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:10 am »

I think the most straightforward move is automatic rifle. We have enough small arms experience to hope for success unlike handheld AT weapons.

And I repeat that I think that 6*36 is better than 7.62*40 because assault rifle doesn't need that strong round and lighter bullet means lighter gun.

it might be a good idea to develop a new ranged artillery weapon. If it's mobile, we can use it in the Jungle to great effect.

Hm... even if it is not... long range artillery+radio = we can shell them from Taiga while holding 1/4 territory. 6 ore gun, anyone?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 217