Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159079 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1914 Design
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:53 am »

I think we should stop making cheap stuff, our soldiers have only so many hands.

Try to get a big gun or so, because from the Moskovian advance it's clear that numerical advance doesn't matter.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2015, 06:24:44 am »

Hence my artillery suggestion. A 105mm howitzer is pretty big, and making it a pack howitzer would mean it can be used in rougher terrain than you'd think. As a bonus, we can have an optional conventional carriage to make it a standard field piece with no revision needed.

Edit: Full arty writeup

Spoiler: AS-1914 howitzer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:39:26 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:58 am »

I think we should stop making cheap stuff, our soldiers have only so many hands.

Try to get a big gun or so, because from the Moskovian advance it's clear that numerical advance doesn't matter.
We're already winning on the artillery front with our mortar and artillery. We don't need any more big guns. What we do need is an effective short-range weapon that can be mass-produced. The shotgun would work ok but the carbine can also be used in the jungle fairly well.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:17:24 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2015, 07:17:24 am »

On that note, I think the carabine is more suited for a revision than a new design.  It uses the same ammo and basic design of our weapon, merely changing clip size and reloading mechanism. We also need to improve resources too.

How about we design an artillery tractor. Should only be expensive, can be used for civilian purposes, and gives us valuable experience designing an engine. Also, let's us move ourmore cumbersome weaponry.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:41 am »

It will be Expensive because it's a vehicle and Very Expensive because it uses more Oil than a motorcycle. If we want to develop vehicles we'll need to capture either the Fields or the Jungle as well as design a new train to carry it. If we can get away with developing a carbine by revising the Nosin (which I doubt), we should instead design a better train so we can pull in more Ore from the Mountains and later on, Oil for vehicles.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:25:43 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:36 am »

Yeah, we'd need a bit more oil to fund any sort of vehicle, so that's out of the picture for at least this turn. My vote remains for either artillery to pile on our long range advantage, or carbines to shore up our short range disadvantages(and help with difficult terrain, as a smaller semi-auto rifle would be easier to navigate with in jungles and stuff)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:12 am »

We can't wait for oil in order to build a vehicle. For that we need to capture either the plains or the jungle, and we're not going to capture either anytime soon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2015, 10:23:46 am »

Well, we could do something like oil extraction techs or chemical plants to boost oil production and do our revision on say, making our pistols not suck, or we can revise our trains to be more fuel efficient and use less oil(they ARE oil fired boilers right?)-we don't have to wait for a new source of oil if we play our cards right. And right now, we wouldn't be able to field more than a handful of them; a motorized artillery tractor is all fine and dandy, but not much use if we can only field like 20 of them.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2015, 11:36:26 am »

Nope, current trains are steampowered.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2015, 11:53:46 am »

For short range maybe we could develop a grenade? Or revise the stolen shotgun to be metric?

Trying to develop a new engine might be prudent as well, for the future.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2015, 12:33:57 pm »

How about developing some combined arms tactics for the plains to combine the advantages in artillery.  With accurate mortar and artillery the soldiers could advance while they are still firing and assault freshly bombarded trenches.  Or something if this is a terrible idea.

Making a much more accurate general rifle could make every soldier a potential sniper.

Or fix the damn pistols.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:08 pm »

So, our current proposals :

- Mountain portable 105mm Howitzer : Seems like a good idea. Gives us dramatically improved firepower in the mountains and Jungl, and an actual Howitzer to supplement our gun in the plains. WW1 was won by artillery, after all.
- Semi-auto Carabine : Seems to be a decent idea, but will be ineffecient in the mountains, and trench to trench fighting only really happens if we push the enemy back which is not at the moment.
- Light armored car: Going to be silly expensive, and most important of all, very vulnerable to enemy guns. They have 60 cal rifles.
- 12.7 mm portable machine gun: Increases firepower in Jungle considerably

My more or less silly proposals :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2015, 02:00:14 pm »

I need a minute to tally up who's in favor of what. So many posts...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2015, 02:05:36 pm »

Pretty sure the Carabine wins.

Supporting the Carabine, so you can stop counting now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:20:57 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2015, 02:22:54 pm »

Well, to add to the confusion, my vote is only for the carbine if we don't have support for the howitzer :P

Vote:Howitzer(unless there is more support for carbine, which in case go for that)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 217